The Student Room Group

Best Unis for International Relations

So I have pretty much decided, based on research and personal preferences, to apply to St. Andrews, Edinburgh (as an insurance) and possibly KCL. I am an international student and my AP scores (equivalent to A levels) are pretty good (3 5s and 2 4s ) and i have one year left with 3 more APs to take. My highest SAT score is 1940, which is good enough for most Uk unis, and i plan on taking it one more time.

I would like to know of some unis that are strong in IR (outside of Oxbridge). I dont really trust politics league tables as much for a sense of how good a uni is in IR, so it would be nice to know of some very strong unis in that field of study.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

St Andrews is known to be good for IR, and Aberystwyth also has a good programme, though it's not a top tier uni overall. Other than that, have a look at the various programmes offered by Russell Group universities, see what modules are on offer, and what appeals to you, and go on that.

PS we don't call it a school, or college. School = where you go from 4-16/18, and college from 16-18. Call it a university :wink:
Reply 2
Original post by rumbles_ubamba
So I have pretty much decided, based on research and personal preferences, to apply to St. Andrews, Edinburgh (as an insurance) and possibly KCL. I am an international student and my AP scores (equivalent to A levels) are pretty good (3 5s and 2 4s ) and i have one year left with 3 more APs to take. My highest SAT score is 1940, which is good enough for most Uk unis, and i plan on taking it one more time.

I would like to know of some unis that are strong in IR (outside of Oxbridge). I dont really trust politics league tables as much for a sense of how good a uni is in IR, so it would be nice to know of some very strong unis in that field of study.

Have you checked Durham University?
It is an overall good university, its IR course seems interesting too, very focused on the Middle East.
Bath seems good too.
Bristol is good overall, but its IR course seems unappealing imo. The modules seem boring.
Check Sheffield University too :smile:
Reply 3
Sheffielddddddd. Don't get me wrong, I think we've slipped a few places in the league table since I went (it was like 3rd or something when I started), but I'm really impressed by the department here, and it's a good uni. No complaints. Excellent course, excellent modules, and most importantly every single lecturer/module tutor has been excellent, only bar one who was a bit of an idiot. I started economics at Liverpool Uni so I'm in a good position to compare between two redbrick russell group unis and the difference is quite noticeable in terms of teaching and organisation.
Original post by Origami Bullets
St Andrews is known to be good for IR, and Aberystwyth also has a good programme, though it's not a top tier uni overall. Other than that, have a look at the various programmes offered by Russell Group universities, see what modules are on offer, and what appeals to you, and go on that.

PS we don't call it a school, or college. School = where you go from 4-16/18, and college from 16-18. Call it a university :wink:

Changed it :wink:
Reply 5
St. Andrews is really good for it. Aberystwyth also has a high standard course, but I'm a bit biased as I go there. London School of Economics is world renown for it and Kings College is the best for War Studies and the like.
Anyone else?
I say Keele though I'm awfully biased :smile:

I had a whale of a time and loved my degree!
anyone else?
Reply 9
Definitely,definitely Bristol!!!!!
Reply 10
LSE, St. Andrews, SOAS (London Uni), Nottingham, Bristol, York, Warwick

I'd have thought the traditional non Oxbridge choices assuming they all offer IR;

LSE, UCL, KCL, Edinburgh, St Andrew's, Bristol, Durham, Exeter, Manchester, York, Nottingham, Queen Mary, Leeds, Sheffield, Liverpool, Newcastle, Warwick..........maybe Glasgow, maybe Bath.

I just reeled off a list of what I perceive to be the top rated universities according to rankings and word of mouth etc and I assume they would all offer a strong IR programme.

Oh Cardiff, Southampton and Queen's Belfast too......I think I got all of the RGs in there.

If you're ok going across the water then Trinity College Dublin ain't a bad choice either.....
I forgot SOAS and Birmingham. Royal Holloway and Leicester aren't bad either......
Reply 13
LSE, KCL, St Andrews (Warwick, Durham, Imperial, UCL, Exeter are good overall dont know for IR)
(edited 10 years ago)
I've just graduated with a first in IR from Birmingham - definitely worth looking at as an option. I loved having lots of international students on the course with me, as it gave a really wide variety of opinion and experience.

Any questions about the course or the University of Birmingham, please just ask :smile:
Reply 15

I've heard LSE is good, especially as it's purely a social science institution

It's definitely worth checking out course content though, as it can vary quite widely from uni to uni

Hey! Have you heard of Richmond the American International University in London? I am a student there and I did APs in high school! Richmond's IR and Poli Sci programs are two of the best in London, and looking at your AP scores you will receive university credit for those so you might be able to skip a year of uni! Being an American university it is probably going to be very similar to your International school not only population wise but also you will find similarities in the curiculum. Have a look on the website or even book a visit to come and see it and you'll absolutely love it like I do! Message me if you have any questions!
Original post by georgevolis
Hey! Have you heard of Richmond the American International University in London? I am a student there and I did APs in high school! Richmond's IR and Poli Sci programs are two of the best in London, and looking at your AP scores you will receive university credit for those so you might be able to skip a year of uni! Being an American university it is probably going to be very similar to your International school not only population wise but also you will find similarities in the curiculum. Have a look on the website or even book a visit to come and see it and you'll absolutely love it like I do! Message me if you have any questions!

Hmmm, 2 posts in total and both saying how wonderful the American International University is. You wouldn't be an official or unofficial representative, would you?
Original post by ageshallnot
Hmmm, 2 posts in total and both saying how wonderful the American International University is. You wouldn't be an official or unofficial representative, would you?

Actually I am a just a student but I am just really involved with the university so I am doing this because not a lot of students are aware that Richmond exists and I would like more people to experience what I am experiencing.
Original post by georgevolis

thanks i'll check it out!

Quick Reply

Latest