The Student Room Group

I'm size 8 so not a real woman?

Scroll to see replies

So glad I'm not alone with this!

Just had a check on facebook and the comments on a picture which set me off have now been removed.

I have a so called 'friend' (her word, not mine) who constantly tells me to eat more because I'm too thin and don't eat apparently. When I told her that I'm just thin naturally, my mum is the same, I go to the gym and eat healthily and she has never seen me eat given that I only see her in lectures she told me that's nonsense and I can't admit to being too thin?! She suggested a good weight for me would be 12 stone.. somehow at 5 foot 2 I don't agree!

I do get annoyed with people saying it's healthy when they're overweight. It seems that all of the health conditions aggravated by being overweight are ignored because if you lose weight you will end up anorexic and die.... (or have I been reading the daily mail too much again :P)
Original post by OneDayDoctor
Is anyone else tired of being told that they aren't real?!

People constantly post on the internet talking about real women who are size 12 and above. Does this mean that, at size 8, I don't exist or something? It seems so odd that people go out to promote themselves as being a certain size so should be accepted for who they are, yet at the same time they slate people smaller than them.

Why can't people realise that the size of clothing you wear is also dependent on your body shape and height? It's like it's ok to wear larger sizes (though not necessarily be fat, some people are just tall) but not smaller ones. It seems like telling someone they are overweight is signing your own death warrant, but it's perfectly ok to say someone is thin or skinny in a malicious way.

I'll try to find an example, but I see it all the time on facebook when people comment on images posted by fashion pages saying that the girl (usually a blogger who looks perfectly healthy) is too thin, looks ill and has no curves and no man will ever want her. It's such an awful thing to say. I'll look for an example but comments like that are usually taken down pretty quickly, however they appear a lot.

Any other people out there in TSR world who are fed up of being told they don't exist?

Do you have a vagina? If so you're a "real woman"

Posted from TSR Mobile
How dramatic.

Yeah I have a morbidly obese aunt who says things like that, but I couldn't give a crap and I don't see why anyone else would? Being slim is what society deems beautiful....
"Real women have curves!" they scream while shoving copious amounts of fat down their throats. "You should eat more otherwise you'll never have a proper figure like me! Being stick thin is ridiculous and no man would ever want you since you don't have this. *gestures her arm down her body to show off her lovely curve* Did you know diets never work? I read an important study saying that 95% of diets fail so why are you always starving yourself?! I eat healthy and we're the same size!"

They then waddle away knowing that they've defeated the skinny little brat that they're always encountering. Real women eat proper food after all. Not rabbit food! Who needs lettuce and vegetables when you can have ice cream?

The daily story of a pompous sphere.
Reply 24
Original post by WoodyMKC
Sorry, off-topic, but your signature - who dat GIRL??? :eek:

I second that
Reply 25

Elisabeth Harnois.
Original post by Rajvir
Agreed, I'm a size 6-8 and threads about skinny women tend to have comments such as a woman isn't a real women unless she has huge curves. It really does not help my self esteem.

It really gets on my nerves! I think that these comments are just thrown around by women who are insecure about their own weight and need to criticise smaller women to make themselves feel better. I try not to let it get to me, but it's annoying to be put down about your body size and shape even though you're perfectly healthy.

Elisabeth Harnois
Reply 28
I'd never date any woman over size 10 xox
I get fed up with this as well! I'm only 5ft and very petite, usually a size 6 but sometimes an 8. I weigh just over 7 stone and am on the low end of a healthy weight. I've struggled with my weight all my life-I was always underweight (6st9lb) until I went to uni and finally put some weight on! Being as small as I was did have some affects on my health, but having gained a few pounds has stopped them, fortunately. Just because I'm small doesn't mean I'm any less of a woman. I love the size I am and wouldn't change it at all. I still get a lot of attention from guys, which is always a plus :P
Reply 30
Original post by arkhamz
It's like the same threads get posted multiple times every week. Anyway I wouldn't take it seriously, you know it's silly and just a defense mechanism so why get butt-hurt over it?

Oh, sorry... I should have realised that this fairly unhealthy problem in society is just a defense mechanism and therefore completely and utterly harmless. Sticks and stones and all that! I'll go back to my ironing, then.

Childhood bullying is often a defense mechanism by the bullies, it doesn't make it ok. It's a very backward way of viewing things, and if this thread had been about people telling a large, curvy woman that she's not a real woman because she's skinny, I'm not sure it would have warranted this kind of response from many people.
Reply 31
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
I agree. I'm a size 8-10 usually, and I hate it. I feel caught in the middle, because I'm very hourglass and so not 'skinny' but I'm still small and so not welcome on the 'real women have curves' group. Not that I want to be. Why does it have to be one better than the other, why can't we accept all sizes can be beautiful.

All sizes can be beautiful, but every individual is unique so it's more a case by case basis.
Anyone who says "I don't find size X attractive" isn't someone to be listened to :rolleyes:

...Unless they've done a comprehensive survey and analysis of all women deemed 'size X' in the world, and found none to their liking - though I feel this is highly unlikely and logistically impossible :holmes:
It's always the women who failed at losing fat who bang on about this, too thick/weak willed to sort their own eating habits out so they just take a stab at someone else to make themselves feel better.

Nobody else cares.
Original post by Artymess
All sizes can be beautiful, but every individual is unique so it's more a case by case basis.
Anyone who says "I don't find size X attractive" isn't someone to be listened to :rolleyes:

...Unless they've done a comprehensive survey and analysis of all women deemed 'size X' in the world, and found none to their liking - though I feel this is highly unlikely and logistically impossible :holmes:

Yeah I've never understood that "I don't find size 8 attractive!" oh so I'm wearing my size 10 top toda guess I'm fine then but if I put my size 8 dress on I'm suddenly minging? :holmes:
Reply 34
Original post by Jessaay!
Oh, sorry... I should have realised that this fairly unhealthy problem in society is just a defense mechanism and therefore completely and utterly harmless. Sticks and stones and all that! I'll go back to my ironing, then.

Childhood bullying is often a defense mechanism by the bullies, it doesn't make it ok. It's a very backward way of viewing things, and if this thread had been about people telling a large, curvy woman that she's not a real woman because she's skinny, I'm not sure it would have warranted this kind of response from many people.

Haha Uhh okay duly noted, and thanks for the passive aggressiveness.
Reply 35
Original post by arkhamz
Haha Uhh okay duly noted, and thanks for the passive aggressiveness.

My pleasure!
Original post by Wilfred Little
It's always the women who failed at losing fat who bang on about this, too thick/weak willed to sort their own eating habits out so they just take a stab at someone else to make themselves feel better.

Nobody else cares.

Exactly! So I don't really understand why anyone would get upset about it? :s-smilie:
Reply 37
Original post by SleepySheep
Exactly! So I don't really understand why anyone would get upset about it? :s-smilie:

THIS
Reply 38
Original post by Wilfred Little

Nobody else cares.

That's true, to an extent, but I've also noted it from a lot of 'feminists' (as in, the over-enthusiastic 19 year old political 'activists' who angrily join their women's society at university and just hate life, rather than having any real idea of the ideals of feminism equality and women's rights), and from a lot of guys who think they're being 'nice guys' because of it, and probably do it to get laid. Either way, it's harmful to young, malleable minds and harmful to people who are particularly fragile, no matter what age.
Original post by Jessaay!
That's true, to an extent, but I've also noted it from a lot of 'feminists' (as in, the over-enthusiastic 19 year old political 'activists' who angrily join their women's society at university and just hate life, rather than having any real idea of the ideals of feminism equality and women's rights), and from a lot of guys who think they're being 'nice guys' because of it, and probably do it to get laid. Either way, it's harmful to young, malleable minds and harmful to people who are particularly fragile, no matter what age.

Steady on with your generalisations I'm a feminist and I agree with you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending