What Nationality Am I? Watch

JosephSF
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello, What nationality would you say I am? I was born in the UK to an Irish Mother and English Father. I have an Irish Passport not an English one. I speak Irish as a first language then english. I speak with an English accent however i do sound irish when speaking sometimes. In a legal sense i am an Irish Citizen not English but in social terms
simplylldxo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
British.

Posted from TSR Mobile
JosephSF
Rep:
?
(Original post by simplylldxo)
British.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Explanation??
simplylldxo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by JosephSF)
Explanation??
English and Irish makes up British..
Either that or you're a dual nationality.

Posted from TSR Mobile
JosephSF
Rep:
?
(Original post by simplylldxo)
English and Irish makes up British..
Either that or you're a dual nationality.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't have dual nationality my parents signed this form when i was little saying i only had irish citizenship
marcusfox
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hello, What nationality would you say I am? I was born in the UK to an Irish Mother and English Father. I have an Irish Passport not an English one. I speak Irish as a first language then english. I speak with an English accent however i do sound irish when speaking sometimes. In a legal sense i am an Irish Citizen not English but in social terms
If your parents are not married, the year of your birth is extremely important, as you could fall within the provisions set out in the British Nationality Act...

Are your parents married?
JosephSF
Rep:
?
(Original post by marcusfox)
If your parents are not married, the year of your birth is extremely important, as you could fall within the provisions set out in the British Nationality Act...

Are your parents married?
1997, They are now, they was not when i was born and they signed this form saying i would only have irish citizenship
hungryatafuneral
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm in a similar situation.

My parents are both Irish (dad from Wicklow, mum from Dublin) but moved to England in the 80's because of the job shortage, then I was born in England. I have an Irish passport and have visited at least 3 times a year since I was born, I think I have dual citizenship but I have an English accent and I'm pretty ingrained in English culture.

If anyone asks I'm British but I always mention I have Irish heritage. On forms if there's a "White - British/Irish" box I tick it, if there isn't I'm just "White - British"
JosephSF
Rep:
?
(Original post by hungryatafuneral)

My parents are both Irish (dad from Wicklow, mum from Dublin) but moved to England in the 80's because of the job shortage, then I was born in England. I have an Irish passport and have visited at least 3 times a year since I was born, I think I have dual citizenship but I have an English accent and I'm pretty ingrained in English culture.

If anyone asks I'm British but I always mention I have Irish heritage. On forms if there's a "White - British/Irish" box I tick it, if there isn't I'm just "White - British"
You won't have dual citizenship unless you got an British Passport. Do you have a consular birth cert?
marcusfox
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
1997, They are now, they was not when i was born and they signed this form saying i would only have irish citizenship
If they are married then you should have British nationality. What is this form of which you spesk?
risteard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Seosamh, an bhfuil Gaeilge agat?

Risteard
marcusfox
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

You are unlikely to be entitled to British nationality. Neither of your parents are British.

Er, thanks for the neg, but this isn't a race thing. Unless you have at least one parent as a British national (if only your mother, she needs to be married to your father) then regardless of whether you are born in the UK, you will not be British at birth.
risteard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Your ethnicity (cultural background) is Irish
Your nationality (passport) is Irish
You are Irish

However, given that you probably have an Sassenach accent many in Ireland would consider you to be English..
alithegreat
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
chinese
hungryatafuneral
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You won't have dual citizenship unless you got an British Passport. Do you have a consular birth cert?
I'm not sure what kind of birth cert I have but I'm a British citizen by birth

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British...United_Kingdom

"Under the law in effect from 1 January 1983, a child born in the UK to a parent who is a British citizen or 'settled' in the UK is automatically a British citizen by birth.

• Only one parent needs to meet this requirement, either the father or the mother.
  • "Settled" status in this context usually means the parent is resident in the United Kingdom and has the right of abode, holds Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR), or is the citizen of an EU/EEA country and has permanent residence, or otherwise unrestricted by immigration laws to remain in the UK.[4] Irish citizens in the UK are also deemed settled for this purpose."

and an Irish citizen by descent. I'm pretty sure I would not have been able to get an Irish passport if I wasn't an Irish citizen

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Infor...-%20270209.pdf

"If you were born outside Ireland to an Irish citizen who was himself or herself born in Ireland,
then you are an Irish citizen."

hungryatafuneral
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You are unlikely to be entitled to British nationality. Neither of your parents are British.

Er, thanks for the neg, but this isn't a race thing. Unless you have at least one parent as a British national (if only your mother, she needs to be married to your father) then regardless of whether you are born in the UK, you will not be British at birth.
I don't know who gave you a neg, anyway gave you a pos for your troubles to balance out. I clarified my citizenship in my other post, with evidence.
JosephSF
Rep:
?
(Original post by risteard)
Your ethnicity (cultural background) is Irish
Your nationality (passport) is Irish
You are Irish

However, given that you probably have an Sassenach accent many in Ireland would consider you to be English..

Abraimis, Tá mé hÉireann, i labhairt annamh Béarla nuair a tá mé in éirinn. Ní bhíonn a fhios mo gcanúint
JosephSF
Rep:
?
If they are married then you should have British nationality. What is this form of which you spesk?
They signed a form renouncing my citizenship just asked them
marcusfox
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't know who gave you a neg, anyway gave you a pos for your troubles to balance out. I clarified my citizenship in my other post, with evidence.
That's likely to be wrong, as I happen to know someone in the same situation as you who went to the Passport Office and was told they were not entitled to a British passport. Although the Passport Office could be wrong..

The relevant nationality law is the British Nationality Act 1983. Do you have a non-Wikipedia source?
hungryatafuneral
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That's wrong, as I happen to know someone in the same situation as you who went to the Passport Office and was told they were not entitled to a British passport.

The relevant nationality law is the British Nationality Act 1983. Do you have a non-Wikipedia source?
I've found the relevant information in a 1981 act but not an '83 act

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1981/61/section/1

I did find an '83 act but it concerned the Falklands (http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1983/6)

You've got me questioning myself now! I think I must be a British citizen because I was born here, managed to register with school/hospital etc and I have a national insurance number.

I don't have a British passport and nor have I ever tried to apply for one though
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (813)
80.5%
Leave (197)
19.5%

Watched Threads