The Student Room Group

Embarrassing subject for boyfriend

Hi everyone,

My boyfriend & I have been going out over a year but I have found it difficult to approach this subject with him and when I did, he didn't respond well. The question is, how do I say it so that it can be changed without hurting him?

The problem is, sometimes (not always!) I feel that my boyfriend doesn't clean his bottom part properly, as I can sometimes smell an unpleasant smell and think, but not certain, that I have seen a mark on our friend's couch.

I drunkenly spoke to him about my concerns one night and I could tell he didn't take it very well. Now I know no-one would respond well to saying that they noticed something like this, but I thought it would be better myself saying it to him instead of an outsider, who may have noticed. When I spotted a mark on his underwear he also said that this is due to flatulence.

I've heard it's more difficult for guys to clean their bums, due to hair etc, but what could I do to encourage him to ensure his area is thoroughly clean without hurting his feelings? We spoke about it that one occasion but I like to reproach the subject.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I bet he's taken it on board already... No need to bring it up again unless nothing has changed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
This is one of the grimmest things I've read on TSR! Sometimes a man will mark his territory, like a mighty stallion.

At that point you probably just want to leave, because realistically if he can't wipe his arse in his twenties, he never will. Do you want to pick crusty excrement off boxers with a kirby grip!? Do you!?
it's not that hard to keep a clean arse, male or female. Most of us have been doing it since we were about 4.
Reply 4
Original post by Thetino
I bet he's taken it on board already... No need to bring it up again unless nothing has changed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

See, I think he has listened to a certain extent but there has been a few times I have noticed it (mentioned this about 3 months ago). I also noticed the mark thing about 2 days ago, which is why I posted the thread.
Reply 5
Well it is something that's better coming from you then someone else. If he's got any sense he'll make an effort. Does he have any stomach related problems?
Reply 6
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
See, I think he has listened to a certain extent but there has been a few times I have noticed it (mentioned this about 3 months ago). I also noticed the mark thing about 2 days ago, which is why I posted the thread.

A mark on the inside of his boxers?

If it is, maybe he scratches his arse without realising.... Buy him some black boxers until he's efforts kick in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Norton1
This is one of the grimmest things I've read on TSR! Sometimes a man will mark his territory, like a mighty stallion.

At that point you probably just want to leave, because realistically if he can't wipe his arse in his twenties, he never will. Do you want to pick crusty excrement off boxers with a kirby grip!? Do you!?

He can wipe his ass, of course he can, but I don't feel he's doing it thorough enough, which is what I want to approach.

I've heard flatulence can cause spots of bother, especially as his diet is high in fiber and protein.

Haha, that's exactly what I want to avoid in the future!
Reply 9
He can wipe his ass, of course he can, but I don't feel he's doing it thorough enough, which is what I want to approach.

I've heard flatulence can cause spots of bother, especially as his diet is high in fiber and protein.

Haha, that's exactly what I want to avoid in the future!

I'd pretty much count not doing that properly as not doing it at all. Like you can half arse cutting the lawn, and nobody cares. You can't possibly fart a skidmark. That's nonsense, unless you're ill. If he's sharting or doing wet ones on a regular basis do you really want to deal with that? Do you share a bed? I mean imagine how this is going to go.

Yeah that's right, it's going to go on your white satin sheets.
Reply 10
Original post by Izzyeviel
Well it is something that's better coming from you then someone else. If he's got any sense he'll make an effort. Does he have any stomach related problems?

Definitely. It's better coming from me than from anyone else imo.

He has IBS, so this could also be hindering the problem and might also one of the causes. I do care for him and it is quite off-putting but it does need to be addressed.
buy a douche m8
Reply 12
Original post by Norton1

How can you argue with this?
Reply 13
Hey, I need some advice on what to say and how to approach it, not a laughing matter.
Definitely. It's better coming from me than from anyone else imo.

He has IBS, so this could also be hindering the problem and might also one of the causes. I do care for him and it is quite off-putting but it does need to be addressed.

There's your answer. What's happening is, he probably is doing a good job when he goes to the bathroom but over the course of the day it sounds like he's suffering from leakage. He should mention it to his doctor next time he goes. It's a common problem for people with IBS.

It's not a problem that's easily solved. (sorry)
Reply 15
Hi everyone,

My boyfriend & I have been going out over a year but I have found it difficult to approach this subject with him and when I did, he didn't respond well. The question is, how do I say it so that it can be changed without hurting him?

The problem is, sometimes (not always!) I feel that my boyfriend doesn't clean his bottom part properly, as I can sometimes smell an unpleasant smell and think, but not certain, that I have seen a mark on our friend's couch.

I drunkenly spoke to him about my concerns one night and I could tell he didn't take it very well. Now I know no-one would respond well to saying that they noticed something like this, but I thought it would be better myself saying it to him instead of an outsider, who may have noticed. When I spotted a mark on his underwear he also said that this is due to flatulence.

I've heard it's more difficult for guys to clean their bums, due to hair etc, but what could I do to encourage him to ensure his area is thoroughly clean without hurting his feelings? We spoke about it that one occasion but I like to reproach the subject.

That's just disgusting I don't know why would you even want to be with some one like that and no its not hard for guys to clean their butt properly and any hygienic guy would get rid of the hair on their butt regularly.
What about wet wipes? You can get plain ones for everyone to use if the baby wipes are little bit degrading.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Introduce him to moist toilet paper or get him to use baby wipes. Either works like a charm.
Reply 18
How on earth did he mark your friends couch? =/
Tbh if you've already brought it up before he's aware of the problem, how long ago did you bring it up?
He has irritable bowel syndrome-question answered!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending