The Student Room Group

Help! 31 yr old, with mortgage and good job... Is a PGCE really a good idea?!

Hi all,

I've recently been offered a place on a PGCE course at Exeter (subject to passing QTS Tests) and am now in a real dilemma.

I am 31, I earn good money in a very comfortable job, albeit one that is limited in direction and fulfilment. I have a mortgage and no savings presently. I've always toyed with the idea of teaching and feel it would be a good chance for me to take some more responsibility and get on a clearly defined career path but, recently, it seems everyone I speak to has something to say that puts me off.

Has anyone been in a similar position and made such a change? And if so, how has it worked out for you? Surely it's not all hard work, stress, financial ruin and pressure as I am being led to believe?!

Many thanks in advance for any input!
Reply 1
I can't respond in terms of if you should do that course - as I have no idea what it is, but financially - how big is the property you mortgage and how much are your payments? Because, WORST case, if you do drive yourself into the ground doing this course, you could always rent out your property such that the mortgage payments pay themselves, until such a time that you can get yourself back on your feet, that is!

You only have one life, and in my opinion it's not worth living it working a job you know you're not going to love forever just to afford to live. Working just to pay to have a home isn't worth it.
Reply 2
Original post by odkfn
I can't respond in terms of if you should do that course - as I have no idea what it is, but financially - how big is the property you mortgage and how much are your payments? Because, WORST case, if you do drive yourself into the ground doing this course, you could always rent out your property such that the mortgage payments pay themselves, until such a time that you can get yourself back on your feet, that is!

You only have one life, and in my opinion it's not worth living it working a job you know you're not going to love forever just to afford to live. Working just to pay to have a home isn't worth it.

Hey, thanks for your reply - the mortgage isn't excessive, another obstacle I have is that I have been doing the house up from a wreck and it is not entirely finished and in no state to rent though it's fine for me to live in. Finishing it is something else that would go on hold.

The course is a PGCE Primary with Mathematics, I believe Exeter are among the top training providers in this field so it is a fantastic opportunity and I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments. I suppose I just wanted to hear from some people who are still enjoying being a teacher!
Reply 3
I gave up work in the Investment Banking world to do a PhD then become a secondary maths teacher. Don't regret it for one second.
Reply 4
Doesnt really answer you're question (sorry) but if you was really that worried about it/decided not to go through with it, couldn't you just do one part-time? Yeh it would take longer but you'd get it while being able to maintain your current lifestyle?

Lastly, and dont let this sway you but, as far as we know we only get one life, wouldn't you rather try and fail than never of tried at all and regret it?

Again I dont want to make a decision for you because you sound like you are in a good possition atm, I personally think part-time is the way for you so you can keep payin the mortgage etc, but in the end its up to you,

good luck! I hope this works out for you, you should make a thread once you decide I'm sure there is others in your possition would love similar help/advice

all the best!
Reply 5
I would personally say no, namely because there is a serious problem with teacher unemployment right now 38000 officially (with many going overseas) unemployed and with the wolf report shrinking budgets (due to the inability of colleges to game the system) jobs are quickly vanishing.

At the place I trained only 42% got jobs.

However life is short, and I would do a PT course so you can keep a foot in both boats.
Reply 6
Thanks guys, it's a small dilemma in the grand scheme of things but I really appreciate the advice. Part-time never even occurred to me but is a great shout, maybe a bit late in the day for 2013 courses but will look into it.

Thanks again.
Reply 7
I am 42 years old with 3 children and a husband, no mortgage but we still have to pay the rent! I am the main earner and I have just handed my notice in to do a PGCE via SCITT (Secondary Science - Physics) starting in September. I was put off training to be a teacher straight after Uni because I was told that being a girl with a Physics degree from Cambridge meant that I could do much better. Although I enjoyed my 10 years as an Engineer something was missing. I tried other options and again considered teaching, this time I couldn't afford to do it with 2 kids and a mortgage. I now have a good job - not as good as being an Engineer but the best I can find at the moment, however, it isn't very fulfilling and means very little in the scheme of things. I have finally made it through the application process etc and secured my place, now I can't wait to start. All the negativity about how hard teaching is and how messed up Gove is making the system etc. at the moment doesn't matter enough to stop me finally making this move. I need to do something that matters beyond putting food on the table. I say give it a go or you will always be wondering "What if?", also, it's a bit like deciding to have children, if you try to work out whether you can afford it the answer will always be "No" but you manage anyway.

Additionally, there are always ads for Maths Teachers so although there may be many unemployed teachers out there how many are trained in Maths from somewhere like Exeter?

Best of luck.
Reply 8
Thanks Athena, that is really helpful. So pleased to hear there are other people in the same position. Yes, amongst all of the negatives I have lost sight of the main reason I applied in the first place: to do something meaningful with the time I've got.

Best of luck to you. A few years back I made a similiar plunge and quit work in London to go traveling indefinitely. I remember someone reminding me of what a wonderful feeling it is when, having spent so long on the edge, you finally decide to take the jump.

A bit like getting in the English sea I suppose; I spend a lot of time at waist deep!
(edited 10 years ago)
On the job statistics and prospects post pgce, my course had over 89% employment after this training cycle and you can't predict what the job situation would be.

Have you worked out whether or not bursary/ student loan would cover your life style? If its going to be tight you could always ask to defer your place for a year (providing the pgce is still going to run in 2014-2015) and save up money this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Woostarite
I gave up work in the Investment Banking world to do a PhD then become a secondary maths teacher. Don't regret it for one second.

Do your students call you Doctor Woostarite, or do you just settle for Mister?

Just curious, forgive me :smile:
My only question would be could you pay your mortgage if you went? My opinion is that life's too short to not do what you want to, however obviously you don't want to ruin yourself. Some jobs give staff the option of an (unpaid) year out to "find themselves", so there's a chance you could make the most of this, then you could go back if you couldn't get a teaching job.

Another option would be to apply for 2014 or even 2015 and then save save save during that time, just to be sure that you won't lose your home! You're only 31, you could be teaching for 40 years or more when you qualify, so a couple of years to get prepared wouldn't be the end of the world!
Could you possibly take a mortgage holiday for 6 months?
Original post by Skip_Snip
Do your students call you Doctor Woostarite, or do you just settle for Mister?

Just curious, forgive me :smile:

If you have the 'Dr' title, you might as well use it! --> http://www.drfrostmaths.com
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending