This 'royal baby' coverage makes me ashamed of being English

Watch
Helg
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Melancholy)
Fantastic. I cannot believe there isn't any real left wing philosophy within the present-day British Labour movement.
aari
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
c_al
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by sugar-n-spice)
It just isn't. The revenue from the Crown Estate is surrendered to the UK, but this is only because the Royal family got into debt under king George and signed a contract that parliament would take the money in return for his debts being added to the national debt. If they we treated like normal citizens, after a few generations of inheritance tax (which they currently don't pay) the UK would have the money and not have to pay for them to live such lives.

I don't mind that you didn't know this, but if you are in a position of ignorance, it is much better to show humility yeah buddy
The revenue from the crown estate is far in excess of the amount that the royal family receives from our taxes. Also, the inheritance tax was not introduced until several decades after the revenue was surrendered, and even the it was only a maximum of 10%, so the loss of any inheritance tax has been more than made up for by the takings from the land alone. And thats before you get to the other forms of revenue that they generate through tourism etc
sugar-n-spice
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by c_al)
The revenue from the crown estate is far in excess of the amount that the royal family receives from our taxes. Also, the inheritance tax was not introduced until several decades after the revenue was surrendered, and even the it was only a maximum of 10%, so the loss of any inheritance tax has been more than made up for by the takings from the land alone. And thats before you get to the other forms of revenue that they generate through tourism etc
That first bit is irrelevant, because if they actually paid inheritance tax (which is 40% above the threshold), their land would come back to the people without having to pay for them to parade around in their pathetic little redcoats like they seem to enjoy doing.

The tourism thing is a total lie, there is little evidence that they are a significant force driving tourism and what evidence does exist points in the opposite direction. France doesn't even have a monarch but more people visit Versailles than Windsor castle and more people visit Le Louvre than they do Buckingham palace, in fact the only UK tourist attraction which even makes it into the top 20 is Windsor castle at number 17, pretty **** to be honest.
c_al
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
That first bit is irrelevant, because if they actually paid inheritance tax (which is 40% above the threshold), their land would come back to the people without having to pay for them to parade around in their pathetic little redcoats like they seem to enjoy doing.

The tourism thing is a total lie, there is little evidence that they are a significant force driving tourism and what evidence does exist points in the opposite direction. France doesn't even have a monarch but more people visit Versailles than Windsor castle and more people visit Le Louvre than they do Buckingham palace, in fact the only UK tourist attraction which even makes it into the top 20 is Windsor castle at number 17, pretty **** to be honest.
What makes you say that paying the inheritance tax would have resulted in the land going back to the people? There are plenty of wealthy old families who have managed to hold onto vast tracts of land despite this tax.

Studies into the amount the royal family generate from tourism have estimated around £500 million, so I would hardly call it a **** point.

Also, the graph below shows what percentage of foreigners (based on a survey) viewed the queen as the iconic image for Britain, showing that there are a high percentage of people from abroad for whom the first thing they think of when Britain is mentioned is the royal family.

gladders
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Come 'back' to the people? Which people specifically?

This is such a trite line by republicans, that the monarchy of the UK and its predecessors has 'stolen' land from 'the people'. I think it's more to do with republicans having a poor misunderstanding of how public administration worked in the Middle Ages.

One reason that inheritance tax doesn't apply to the royals is because under such a tax their personal wealth (and therefore their ability to live independently of taxation) would soon disappear. Bear in mind that unlike everyone else, the Royal Family is constitutionally barred from getting involved in business and making money. While other people can increase their wealth and therefore can expect some of it creamed off into taxes, the Royal Family are not permitted to, and their wealth remains largely static.

While I have never been convinced by the tourism argument on either side, few people visit Buck House because frankly, it's not a particularly impressive building. People go to the outside and watch the balcony. That's not counted.

Also, the Louvre is smack-bang in the middle of Paris. Windsor Castle is a train journey out. Even I, who has lived in this country since birth, hasn't gotten round to visiting Windsor yet!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (29)
13.49%
I need help researching courses (14)
6.51%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.19%
I need help with my personal statement (90)
41.86%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (52)
24.19%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (4)
1.86%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (17)
7.91%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise