The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Transportation from London to Guildford!!!!

Heyy everyone!
I am going to be at the Uni of Surrey from September to do my LLM. I am planning to stay in London though, probably South West London, and not in the university halls.
I am trying to find the cheapest way to transport to Guildford by train. I am getting so confused with all these railcards and travelcards...

Does anyone know any efficient way to use the railway to reach Guildford? I found this 16-25 discound rail card too, but I was wondering if the university provides us with any other student discount card.

Please helpppp!!
Reply 1
Original post by Bloomberry
Heyy everyone!
I am going to be at the Uni of Surrey from September to do my LLM. I am planning to stay in London though, probably South West London, and not in the university halls.
I am trying to find the cheapest way to transport to Guildford by train. I am getting so confused with all these railcards and travelcards...

Does anyone know any efficient way to use the railway to reach Guildford? I found this 16-25 discound rail card too, but I was wondering if the university provides us with any other student discount card.

Please helpppp!!

You can get a standard NUS discount card through the university's students union, but as far as I know, it doesn't give any discount on rail travel, and certainly won't give more of a discount than a proper rail card.

It might be worth looking at banks, I think Natwest give (or at least they used to) a free rail card if you use them as your main bank as a student. Can save you a bit of money.
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Reply 2
Original post by Dan1909
You can get a standard NUS discount card through the university's students union, but as far as I know, it doesn't give any discount on rail travel, and certainly won't give more of a discount than a proper rail card.

It might be worth looking at banks, I think Natwest give (or at least they used to) a free rail card if you use them as your main bank as a student. Can save you a bit of money.

Thank you for your answer!
I checked this rail card from Natwest and they don't seem to offer it anymore unfortunately :frown:. I was checking this 16-25 rail card discount. It seems good. Do you -by any chance- know anything similar to this?
Reply 3
Original post by Bloomberry
Thank you for your answer!
I checked this rail card from Natwest and they don't seem to offer it anymore unfortunately :frown:. I was checking this 16-25 rail card discount. It seems good. Do you -by any chance- know anything similar to this?

In general the young person's railcard (as far as I know, that's the one you've been looking at) is generally the best discount you'll get for routine travel :smile:.
Reply 4
Hiya

I Go to Surrey and work in South West London (moved to Guildford), so have looked into this a lot.

The 16-25 railcard unfortunately does NOT give you a discount at all on a weekly season ticket, which is around £50 for Zone 3- Guildford (I travelled from Wimbledon to Guildford).

A 16-25 railcard will give you a 1/3 discount, but in peak hours they have a minimum fare of £12:00 day return. I wanted to stay living in London, but after investigating travel costs I moved out to Guildford.

It's cheaper by car actually- there is some free parking in roads a 10 min walk from uni, when I go into S/W London I drive and park on the outskirts of Morden/Wimbledon- My 1.2 Punto can get up the A3 and back 4 times with £20 petrol.

Hope this helps

Liz
Reply 5
Thank you very much!Your answer was very helpful!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending