The Student Room Group

Possible infected cut?

The situation is I'd really rather not go and get it seen to and just clean and dress it myself and keep an eye on it but I'm going away tomorrow and if it *was* to get worse, I won't be able to get any medical attention for a while. I did it a week or so ago, it doesn't hurt that much but it is itchy and tender to the touch. The redness around it has gotten worse over the past few days. There's no pus or discharge that smells (I think what you can see in the pictures just where I've cleaned it and new scab is forming) and i dont feel unwell or anything, but it seems to be having trouble healing, it scabs partially then it comes off and it's left looking how it does in the pic, it doesn't close together unless I pinch it. Its about 3cm along and not very deep. Should I go to the walk in centre just I case? Or just keep cleaning it and using antiseptic and hope it sorts itself out?
It looks a little gunky. I would probably get it checked out to be honest. Have you asked parents or anything? I know I would have asked my mum and she would know whether it's worth looking at xD
Reply 2
I'd get it checked out. You say you've already had it like that for a week, but it still looks pretty open. Better not risk it getting worse if you can't accesses services where you are going. How long will u be away for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by lulala
The situation is I'd really rather not go and get it seen to and just clean and dress it myself and keep an eye on it but I'm going away tomorrow and if it *was* to get worse, I won't be able to get any medical attention for a while. I did it a week or so ago, it doesn't hurt that much but it is itchy and tender to the touch. The redness around it has gotten worse over the past few days. There's no pus or discharge that smells (I think what you can see in the pictures just where I've cleaned it and new scab is forming) and i dont feel unwell or anything, but it seems to be having trouble healing, it scabs partially then it comes off and it's left looking how it does in the pic, it doesn't close together unless I pinch it. Its about 3cm along and not very deep. Should I go to the walk in centre just I case? Or just keep cleaning it and using antiseptic and hope it sorts itself out?

It does look like there is pus inside the cut and clear redness around the area, itchiness is a major symptom with infections.

Healing processes are evidently not working correctly based on the information you gave... SO I would get it checked out by a doctor as soon as possible and get some antibiotics just to make sure.
Reply 4
Yep it looks like a minor infection, the redness is your body stepping up the immune response.
Can you put some sudocrem on it? And a Hydrocolloid plaster over it once it's clean to help reduce scarring. Itchiness can also come from the healing process.
Keep an eye on it

Quick Reply

Latest