The Student Room Group

9 Weeks of full time work or try get a job at Uni?

I'm stuck in a bit of a dilemma. I've been looking for a summer job for months and only got days here and there, but now I've been offered a job for 9 weeks working 40 hour weeks which would give me a really nice bit of savings to start off the year. But my plan was to go back in the next 4/5 weeks to start handing out my CV around my Uni so I could hopefully get a part-time job to help me get by throughout the year. I'm hoping to only work 7 weeks and then start living at my new house and start job hunting but what do you guys think?

Short-term, guaranteed job or try get a long-term part-time job?
How much would you be earning during term time at uni? Depending on how many hours you'd be looking at doing each week, it may be the case that you'd be better off financially by working full time over summer even if it meant you struggled to find a part-time position. I'd always take a guaranteed job myself, as I know how difficult part-time jobs can be to obtain, at least around my area.

Maybe take the guaranteed job, then head to your uni on a day off to do the CV distribution and so on? You wouldn't need to be there all week to look for jobs there.
Reply 2
I agree with RussellsTeapot. You will be kicking yourself for turning down a temporary full time job if you are unable to get a part time one at uni
Reply 3
Take the full-time position. It's only nine weeks. Part-time employment at uni is fine, but it will get in the way. I would always prefer to work full-time over summer and save so I wouldn't have to work during term time. You'll have some money saved from the full-time job to keep you going if you can't find a job or decide that you don't want to work during term time.
Original post by Ryan.
I'm stuck in a bit of a dilemma. I've been looking for a summer job for months and only got days here and there, but now I've been offered a job for 9 weeks working 40 hour weeks which would give me a really nice bit of savings to start off the year. But my plan was to go back in the next 4/5 weeks to start handing out my CV around my Uni so I could hopefully get a part-time job to help me get by throughout the year. I'm hoping to only work 7 weeks and then start living at my new house and start job hunting but what do you guys think?

Short-term, guaranteed job or try get a long-term part-time job?

Id take the full time job as its a definite job and with it being full time you will earn a decent amount of money for uni. You can still search for part time jobs while at uni.
Reply 5
Decided to take the full-time job and going to go up to my new house for a weekend once I can move in and hand out CVs and just explain I won't be able to start until I'm back. Thanks guys :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending