The Student Room Group

Getting Ready for A levels...

Hello,

I have just finished my GCSEs and I am planning on doing Biology, Psychology, Economics and Business for AS.

If anyone has done these subjects that could give me any advice on whether they are good combinations or not, or any good tips or revision sources that helped you.

I was also wondering if you think these subjects will be achievable for me, I have always been in top sets but more for effort and I wonder if I will struggle to do these subjects.

Any advice or criticism will be appreciated! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by robynalice
Hello,

I have just finished my GCSEs and I am planning on doing Biology, Psychology, Economics and Business for AS.

If anyone has done these subjects that could give me any advice on whether they are good combinations or not, or any good tips or revision sources that helped you.

I was also wondering if you think these subjects will be achievable for me, I have always been in top sets but more for effort and I wonder if I will struggle to do these subjects.

What do you plan to do after school?

Your a levels are good but business and econ are often disliked by universities as they overlap, so they may count them as one.
Any other options you are considering ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I chose economics as I didn't know what to pick for my fourth subject: I would consider German, Media, Graphics or Chemistry. I want to do something Business based or possibly Psychology based, but honestly I have no real idea. I would like to get a range of A levels so that I can keep my options open, but I would like to get into a good university, so will my A levels have to be more academic?

Would universities prefer business or economics for a business based degree?
Reply 3
I chose economics as I didn't know what to pick for my fourth subject: I would consider German, Media, Graphics or Chemistry. I want to do something Business based or possibly Psychology based, but honestly I have no real idea. I would like to get a range of A levels so that I can keep my options open, but I would like to get into a good university, so will my A levels have to be more academic?

Would universities prefer business or economics for a business based degree?

I believe they would much prefer economics due to its content being much more rigor and demanding (even though I found AS to be fairly comfortable!)
Have you looked at AS maths? It's a very good subject, and many university courses have maths content in it including psychology and business. There's also tonnes of self teach resources such as examsolution which helped mea hell a lot!

If you absolutely suck at maths, I would be say German though languages I hear are a tough nut at AS in comparison to gcse. Chemistry likewise.

Other than that, the other 3 subjects are great for the courses you want!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Hello,

swap maths with business because:

psychology has a fair bit of maths

biology has a lot of maths

maths is more respected than business

business and economics overlap, this wont look good to universities

Reply 5
thank you so much! you have really helped!

I am not the best at maths, but I tried really hard this year and I was getting A's in past papers. I think I may come out with a B because I panicked on the first paper. I was wondering about how much of a step up maths is from GCSE to AS? At the end of the year I was beginning to understand some A* GCSE maths but I understand that A level is completely different. Do you think I could manage the AS in maths and then drop in at A2 for universities to still appreciate the maths AS?
thank you so much! you have really helped!

I am not the best at maths, but I tried really hard this year and I was getting A's in past papers. I think I may come out with a B because I panicked on the first paper. I was wondering about how much of a step up maths is from GCSE to AS? At the end of the year I was beginning to understand some A* GCSE maths but I understand that A level is completely different. Do you think I could manage the AS in maths and then drop in at A2 for universities to still appreciate the maths AS?

GCSE to AS Maths isn't a huge step-up. C1 is like A* GCSE work, but you may struggle with C2. I think you should take AS Maths only if you get atleast an A at GCSE otherwise you might struggle and have to put alot of work in.

If not then I suggest you take chemistry instead of business. I may be biased but chemistry is really interesting, considered one of the "hard subjects" so universities like it, and it also contains quite a bit of maths but nothing too difficult.
Reply 7
thank you for your advice!

Quick Reply

Latest