Foundation + Higher Tiers Watch

x---Emz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Sorry I feel like having a moan at the moment cuz I can't seem to concentrate on my Chemistry revision lol.

Anyways I've been thinking about the different tiers we get put in for, and wouldn't it be fairer if we all sat a G-A* paper. That way we can achieve what we want, without being cut off at a C or a B. Or like one unfortunate lad I spoke to last night, got put in for the wrong paper, and even though he's done the equivalent of an A* in his coursework he'll only get a C ! Unfair or what ?

I know that there isn't any tiers in the AQA Russian (because not many people do it), or Edexcel RS (and probably a few more besides), but shouldn't it be like this for all subjects to give everyone a fair opportunity ? :eek:
Excalibur
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
In theory, yes. But if there aren't any tiers, the distinction between each grade would become smaller and smaller, because they have to accomodate more grades within the same number of marks. It will probably become more difficult to achieve the higher grades.
Cataclysm
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Excalibur)
In theory, yes.
Alas, it is like Communism, works in theory but not practice :p:

The main point of tiers is so that everyone feels comfortable doing a paper they can easily access, think about a paper with an A/A* questions which would depress C/D candidates if they weren't able to do it and so they don't the proper chance to demonstrate their ability. If you're trying to accomodate around 8 grades it makes it very hard when setting the Grade boundaries because how can you correlate how good the top candidates did in accordance with the lower candidates...hard to describe but think of it as how do you that the top tier students did as well as they could have because they are being tested on E/F and D/C as well B/A/A* questions.
calcium878
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
AQA B History is untiered, that's a rare one that does seem to work. But the grade boundaries are always difficult to set, as a couple of others have said. Certainly scientific subjects, there's such a difference between an F and a B candidate that sitting the same paper would be pointless, in my opinion. But yes, getting A-grade coursework and having to sit a Foundation paper must be annoying; but then again so is life...
Nivlek
Report 12 years ago
Don't you guys get to choose? In my school only the really bad students get put into the foundation tier. It's fair because <D grade students won't be able to answer the A*/A questions as well. Therefore they would risk getting a lower grade than D easily.
calcium878
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well, AQA ICT is 60% of the marks. Some of my friends got pretty good coursework, but because they're poor at exams, they've had to settle for a C, which could have otherwise been atleast a B.
Twaffy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by xEmZx06)
I know that there isn't any tiers in the AQA Russian (because not many people do it), or Edexcel RS (and probably a few more besides), but shouldn't it be like this for all subjects to give everyone a fair opportunity ? :eek:
It's also AQA Russian's last year they aren't doing it after this year so I doubt they could be bothered to change it
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It seems pretty fair to me. As others have said, when there are 8 different grades, it's impossible to have a single paper that caters for both A* students and G students. Also, you're put into whichever tier is most appropriate for your abilities; you'll only be entered for Foundation if your teachers don't believe you're capable of a B.
Ahmato
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
My take on it is, always do higher paper. No matter how bad you think you do, do the higher paper.
Excalibur
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Ahmato)
My take on it is, always do higher paper. No matter how bad you think you do, do the higher paper.
Well, if you are capable of getting a C. If you're averaging Ds, you wouldn't really want to risk getting a U on higher.
sim90
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yeh i agree...
there shouldnt be tiers...
it just doesnt allow students to achieve there full potential!

but its a bit too late now isnt it
lol
im already half way through my gcse's
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1209)
79.64%
Leave (309)
20.36%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed