The Student Room Group

Has bullying ruined your life or made you stronger?

For me it's ruined my life, I've never been able to recover from 7 years of incessant bullying even though I'm 24 now

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I was bullied a lot until a few years ago. I guess it's made me a lot more reserved and quiet than I used to be- I think a lot more and speak a lot less :tongue:! But you know, I kind of feel sorry for the bullies: how **** their lives must have been that they had to hurt someone else to make themselves happy.
It turned me into a badass.
personally, it ruined my life because I don't remember how to feel good about myself or have any shred of confidence because I was constantly told dreadful things and lead to believe that everyone hated me and will always hate me, but I was always told this by people I considered friends so now I'm incredibly scared to make real friends because I'm afraid they'll treat me like my other so called friends. I guess I was bullied mentally, not physically but it's still had an immense effect on my life

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
How has it ruined your life?

Looking back on it now, I think when I got bullied, it wasn't too bad and was probably nothing compared to some stories you hear but I've been bullied a couple of times down the years.

I personally think it's made me a stronger person, I'm much better at sticking up for myself and my confidence was restored once I stood up for myself and stopped being bullied.
Original post by shuheb789
It changed who I was as a person, was it for the better? I don't know yet, but I'm hoping it is, the one positive thing I can take from it is that I've suffered the lowest of lows so I'll be ready if I ever go there again. Also I got to punch the guy that tortured me for 5 years in the face and it was one of the greatest feelings I've ever experienced. The only reason I hit him, was because he started a fight with me and I was defending myself, I'd never just hit someone unless it was self defence.

I had a similar experience to this. I was bullied throughout high school because I was quiet and therefore I'm guessing an easy target. Someone filled their swimming cap with water after a swimming lesson and poured it all over me just after I had got dressed. I snapped and ended up cracking his head open (I punched him and his head played ping pong against the tiled wall and my fist). Looking back it wasn't the smartest way of dealing with the situation but teachers seem to be aware of it and just ignored it or joined in and made me a target in lessons. I ended up getting suspended because I refused to apologise. He had it coming though and man it felt good. The bullying stopped after this whether that was because I became good friends with the captain of the rugby team or because of what I did I don't know.

Personally I think it's dented my self confidence however I seem to be recovering well and hope it will make me a stronger person in the future.
Probably made me stronger. Not that I was horrifically bullied.

In a very large amount it's probably never beneficent.
Reply 7
Original post by Callofdutymw3
For me it's ruined my life, I've never been able to recover from 7 years of incessant bullying even though I'm 24 now

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was in a similar position to you; people have tried teaching me a new perspective on it; that holding these bullies in your thoughts is honouring them and allowing them to continue hurting you, it's pretty hard to train yourself to let go though and takes time to master the skill
It has made me feeble, yet resolute.
Reply 9
If you had asked me this in 2008, a year after I left high school during Year 8 to be home-schooled, then I'd say yes, it had ruined my life. I was bullied by at first by the most popular girls in the year then others simply followed and it ended up with practically my whole year and some people from the year above bullying me or isolating me every single day. I was diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder and had to see a therapist for two years. I was left with no friends, no self confidence, felt a lot of guilt and self-blame, I never went out for fear of seeing people from school and I just felt like my life would never get better. I eventually stopped being home schooled and started at a small school midway through Year 10 where people with my kind of issues were referred to. I met two lifelong friends there and my life started looking up.

Now I'm at a point where I can say I've become a much stronger person due to what I experienced - I can't shrug off negative comments like they mean nothing but I can quickly realise that there is no point wasting my time listening to what those people have to say when I have so many people around me telling me the opposite. It was incredibly hard for me to trust people after the bullying because I was abandoned by people who I thought were my friends. But now I have a number of really close friends, I met the love of my life who I've been with for almost two years and I'm preparing to start university to do a teaching course. I still do have problems with self-esteem sometimes (my boyfriend will tell me I look gorgeous but I sometimes find it hard to believe him) but my life is just so much better than I ever thought it could be :smile:
Reply 10
It had changed me to the better !
Reply 11
My life turned out pretty gud.... It's bout moving forward no matter how long it takes(I.e 5yrs or 10yrs or whatever).... Some longer den others.... N mainly proving dem wrong dts all I did

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's made me quite resentful and has caused me to hate bullies everywhere.

If someone goes to school and torments another pupil, that someone does not deserve an education and should be kicked out till they can agree that they are not to go to school to bully and cause distress to another human being.
Recently, there's a lot of videos (in Malaysia) showing a group of teenagers picking on a victim. This caused a question in my mind, "Why don't they fight back?"

I was never bullied, nor am i a bully (except to my bestfriends). I'm just curious.
Reply 14
It caused a lot of damage early on. I still don't talk about it though, I guess i've forgotten about those parts, because I grew into a new person.

I was taken out of school and home schooled for a year.
Both, I'd say.

It ruined my life by making me sick, as well as causing anxiety and depression. It's also made me want to rule about 2 years out of my life, because thinking about the bullying and the illness that followed it makes me sad and I don't like talking about it when my friends bring it up out of curiosity.

However, it's also made me stronger. This bullying occurred when I was 12 years old, and at the age of 17 I can thankfully say that the sickness affects me far less than it used to. It's also made me stronger in that I've learnt to live with this, and haven't let illness interfere with my education. I had to miss a lot of time off school, but ensured that it didn't affect my grades and ended up doing better than the girl who bullied me. Result! Most importantly, it's given me the strength to intervene, and if I were to spot someone being bullied in school (or even outside of school), I'd report it to the necessary people and ensure it is dealt with. Call me a snitch, but I'd much rather speak up and resolve bullying than leave an innocent victim suffering in silence merely because their life has been ruined by bullies like mine once was.
Reply 16
Original post by Callofdutymw3

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was bullied by the strongest and most popular boys in years 8,9 and 10. Relentlessly being pushed around and having to hear horrible remarks. I used to dread going school the next day and I treasured the holidays. Everytime I used to play football during P.E they'd kick the ball at me and claim they were passing it to me when the teachers were around. I'm not a snitch so I endured it for 3 years til it came to a point I could no longer take it. I snapped at a group of boys who tried mugging me in school trying to take my phone and money. I hit one of the boys so hard he blacked out. The feeling was great but tbh looking back at it I regret it. It wasn't the best way to react. But then again year 11 went amazing for me as everyone respected me and suddenly it felt as if I've never been bullied. Being bullied certainly made me so much stronger and after 2 amazing years at college I just feel like a new person :smile:
Reply 17
I got bullied all the way from primary school to the end of secondary school it made me feel weak and horrible, I only had a few friends during school, but I had a head of house that was amazing to me she told me I'd have a job whilst bullies would have lowest jobs like sweeping the streets or bin men lol so I worked my ass off for my exams, I left school with pretty decent GCSE's. I was so nervous about college but I made so many new friends and gained my confidence back as all the people who bullied me weren't there anymore.

Now I'm stronger I'm getting where I want in life and it's so funny to look back and see where the people that bullied me are.
I'd like to say that it made me stronger. I became a lot more bitter/aggressive towards people and less emotional. It made me less of a target in the future, so you could probably argue it did make me a stronger person. That being said, it probably did damage me emotionally so it's probably a combination of the two.
I used to get bullied for being fat all the time, I'm mixed race and had crazy curly big hair and there was always someone that said something silly like "miss I cant see the board because [my name]'s fat and hair is blocking the way". I just felt low. But because I was genuinely nice, the boys never really used to bully me, but the girls were awful. And the fact that the boys didn't join in, and sometimes even stood up for me saying "that's enough leave her alone" made the girls even more angry sometimes, cause they were boyfriends or they liked them or whatever.

I never used to get invited anywhere, felt left out of everything, used to pretty much hide in the library at lunch time just reading a book or something, so that I didn't have to sit in the canteen on my own. I just felt so lonely and so rubbish.

I moved to a girls grammar school for sixth form and made friends for life there, they let me become the person I always was, a bubbly, cheerful, bright girl. I had girls who I had things in common with, girls who would look past my looks and to my personality, because it was a girls school...no one there is wearing make up because there's no boys around! I grew with confidence and now, believe that I'm not afraid to stand up for myself if anyone says **** to me!

Also, I've noticed men like the mixed race curvy girls :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest