biro?

they are cheap, and interesting... yeah

ReputationRep:
    Why do biros have those little holes?

ReputationRep:
    uh.. ventellation?

dunno.

ReputationRep:
    Dont ask me why I know this but its because biros are ball points and all ball points need air to put pressure on the ink- otherwise the ink would not be "pushed" into the roller mechanism.

BACK IN THE 60'S DURING THE SPACE RACE- NASA SPENT HUNDEREDS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS DEVELOPING A WRITING INSTRUMENT THAT COULD WRITE IN THE ZERO GRAVITY OF SPACE. AFTER YEARS OF RESEARCH, THEY CAME UP WITH THE COMMON BALL POINT PEN WE KNOW TODAY. THE SOVIETS, ON THE OTHER HAND, JUST USED A PENCIL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolf007)
    Dont ask me why I know this but its because biros are ball points and all ball points need air to put pressure on the ink- otherwise the ink would not be "pushed" into the roller mechanism.

BACK IN THE 60'S DURING THE SPACE RACE- NASA SPENT HUNDEREDS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS DEVELOPING A WRITING INSTRUMENT THAT COULD WRITE IN THE ZERO GRAVITY OF SPACE. AFTER YEARS OF RESEARCH, THEY CAME UP WITH THE COMMON BALL POINT PEN WE KNOW TODAY. THE SOVIETS, ON THE OTHER HAND, JUST USED A PENCIL
    Actually they didnt use a pencil, because the lead is very dangerous if it snaps. That be a common misconception, just thought i'd let you know.

ReputationRep:
    Its random and only slightly interesting but -what brand of stationary/pens do you guys use and what are your favorites? Has anyone one seen those awesome $5 (USD) Japanese import mechanical penicils that give lead when you shake them? I nicked one of a lab table in my old school, used all the lead, and now I can't figure out how to reload it.
    Yeah. I have 3 mechanical pencils. 2 pilot shakers and another one that have a lock feature to prevent extra lead when you shake it accidentally.

i hate using normal pencils coz you have to sharpen them so often.

Oh and all my pens are Pilot brand. I want a fountain pen, but i have no clue how to write with one. Oh well.

ReputationRep:
    After getting a blister on my thumb today from my pen, i brought two handrwriting pens from Woolworths - 99p and they are brillant!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rpotter)
    Actually they didnt use a pencil, because the lead is very dangerous if it snaps. That be a common misconception, just thought i'd let you know.
    Even regular wood pencils?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zinc11)
    Yeah. I have 3 mechanical pencils. 2 pilot shakers and another one that have a lock feature to prevent extra lead when you shake it accidentally.

i hate using normal pencils coz you have to sharpen them so often.

Oh and all my pens are Pilot brand. I want a fountain pen, but i have no clue how to write with one. Oh well.
    A lot of good quality ball points write as well as fountain pens. They're not as much a hassle as fountains- which can leak and bleed all over your hands and stuff. That lock feature is pretty cool, I wish my pencil had it.

P.S.- how do you reload the shaker pens? I never figured it out.

ReputationRep:
    Even regular wood pencils?
    Because wood pencils don't have a lead in them

Oooh. Pens.

ReputationRep:
    I love stationary!!!

I use these new ones from WHSmith they are just like normal biros but they right really well (they are the ones with the curved lid!!)

ReputationRep:
    I love double posting!!!

I use an azerty keyboard with a faulty return key (to make sure you see my posts twice!!)

ReputationRep:
    I love double posting!!!

I use an azerty keyboard with a faulty return key (to make sure you see my posts twice!!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rpotter)
    Because wood pencils don't have a lead in them
    No- cause the lead hardly ever breaks in them- especially if you have a good quality one

ReputationRep:
    No- cause the lead hardly ever breaks in them- especially if you have a good quality one
    And you would risk astronauts lives on that...

And its the really small fragments that are the most dangerous.

ReputationRep:
    it's all about the parker reflex

ReputationRep:
    A lot of good quality ball points write as well as fountain pens. They're not as much a hassle as fountains- which can leak and bleed all over your hands and stuff. That lock feature is pretty cool, I wish my pencil had it.

P.S.- how do you reload the shaker pens? I never figured it out.
    i dont know. fountain pens just seem so classy and cool.

i use ink pens btw and sometimes ball point pens. I find ball point pens too thick for normal writing.

you can reload 2 way. either hold on the clicker and pushed the lead where it comes out. or take off the cap at the back and put it in.

ReputationRep:
    i use the pretty standard blue Staedtler biros,might start using the black ones though...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 14, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.