OCR Core 4 Tomorrow Watch

lufiaguy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Mustard-man)
ocr a-level past papers are so hard to obtain!
Especially when you go to my school! All I have from them are the Solomon papers... can't even get a copy of the specimen paper because the OCR website is broken again!

[If anybody has electronic versions of some OCR C4 papers, please shout out!]
hakking
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yah Mustard man try the practice examination qs at the end of the OCR endorsed book( Neil and Quadling). Esp the vector ones. that'll make you more confident.
Mustard-man
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by lufiaguy)
Especially when you go to my school! All I have from them are the Solomon papers... can't even get a copy of the specimen paper because the OCR website is broken again!

[If anybody has electronic versions of some OCR C4 papers, please shout out!]
Well our school did even teach us it properly (because we were rushed for time)
Mustard-man
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by hakking)
Yah Mustard man try the practice examination qs at the end of the OCR endorsed book( Neil and Quadling). Esp the vector ones. that'll make you more confident.
Oh yeah, I completely forgot about them, thanks.
lufiaguy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Mustard-man)
Well our school did even teach us it properly (because we were rushed for time)
We were very rushed for time - our core teacher was on sick leave for well over a month leaving us self-teaching C4, then came back and "covered" scalar vectors in about two lessons!!
Head
Report 12 years ago

6. A weed is growing across a pond, such that the rate of increase of the area, A, it covers is proportional to A. At time t = 0 days the area covered is 1 m2, and after 10 days the area is 9 m2. Find the area covered after 20 days.
81m^2?
Mustard-man
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by lufiaguy)
We were very rushed for time - our core teacher was on sick leave for well over a month leaving us self-teaching C4, then came back and "covered" scalar vectors in about two lessons!!
daim, do you go to the same school as me? :p:

Our teacher has some kind of bronchile infection, she didn't even know we hadn't covered scalar vectors and she covered it in 3 lessons .
hakking
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
No mate I got 25 m2 and that was right. ( Edit: it is proportional to root A (mathtype error))
Head
Report 12 years ago
yeh i thought it was a bit simple
hakking
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Meh C4 aint too much of a problem compared to M2. i am soo pooing my pants for the M2 exam.
Head
Report 12 years ago
yeh im hoping to get over 80% on c4 to leave me needing about 40% on m2, just incase it goes horribly
Mustard-man
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Meh C4 aint too much of a problem compared to M2. i am soo pooing my pants for the M2 exam.
:ditto:

M2 is such a pen*s :mad:, I better get atleast a mid A or a high A for C4, therefore I'll only need a D in M2 to get an overall A for A-level maths.

Fingers crossed
Mustard-man
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Head)
yeh im hoping to get over 80% on c4 to leave me needing about 40% on m2, just incase it goes horribly
lucky git
john-boro
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
well he's gotta get 80% first :p:

I'm assuming that I got around 80% on core 3 (Thanks to ignus_reef who checked his answers afterwards) and so I should need about 60% on this. However, like many others I expect it to be really hard, which is annoying because you could end up relying on the grade boundaries going down, which introduces a lot of uncertainty
stefwan
Report 12 years ago
I can't do a single one of those soloman paper questions. I always just make so many mistakes when it comes to things like trig differentiation/integration. Like i don't understand why 3cos^2t differentiates to 6cost * -sint :s Implicit differentiation confuses me too and don't even get me started on differential equations :mad:
heminder
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
the comprehension will be my downfall...
Mustard-man
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by john-boro)
well he's gotta get 80% first :p:

I'm assuming that I got around 80% on core 3 (Thanks to ignus_reef who checked his answers afterwards) and so I should need about 60% on this.
Yeah, I calculated that I got around 92% for C3, but this was assuming that the percentage in raw marks is roughly same as the percentage in UMS marks, which it usually is in maths. However, I am seriously afraid if everyone else found it easy. Like Jan 06's C4, the grade boundary for an A was 90% :eek: that's 10% more than the usual raw percentage for an A!!! Just hope the grade boundaries won't be as crazy, I think that quite a few of the weaker candidates messed up the integration involving the rectangle, cos that took a little bit of thinking if you hadn't done something similar to that. Also the long 8mark question, you could either do that question, or not.
john-boro
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
there were a lot of sneaky bits on that paper so I would hope that the middling candidates won't have done well enough to push to grade boundaries up

certainly it was harder than the infamous january core 4.
Head
Report 12 years ago
if jan was easy no doubt this will be ridiculously hard
Head
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by stefwan)
Like i don't understand why 3cos^2t differentiates to 6cost * -sint :s
you could use the product rule with u=3cost and v=cost

or just remember that you multiply by the power and the derivative of the original trig function then reduce the power by 1...or something like that

e.g. 4sin^4 x d/dx= 16sin^x cos x (i think)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1439)
79.72%
Leave (366)
20.28%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise