The Student Room Group

FP2 loci question.

Hello,

I have been studying FP1 (finished) and now FP2 this summer. I've just finished FP2 complex numbers, and can do all the other questions in the last exercise, but this is bothering me!

I understand where P and Q are, but I'm failing to see an easy method of finding the coordinates of P and Q.

This is probably one of those moments where I'll slap myself for not seeing an obvious solution, but I would appreciate any help :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by not_a_dog
Hello,

I have been studying FP1 (finished) and now FP2 this summer. I've just finished FP2 complex numbers, and can do all the other questions in the last exercise, but this is bothering me!

I understand where P and Q are, but I'm failing to see an easy method of finding the coordinates of P and Q.

This is probably one of those moments where I'll slap myself for not seeing an obvious solution, but I would appreciate any help :smile:

Work out the distance from the centre of the circle to (0,0).
So, how far is P from (0,0)?
So what are the coordinates of P?
Reply 2
Ahhhh. Whatever the distance, minus 1 is the distance of P from the origin. I knew it would be something simple! Thank you!

What of Q?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I think what may have been confusing me is that the book says that the minimum value of mod(z) is 3. It's 1, is it not?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
It's Pi/3. Sorry for a third post, but I think I have it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by not_a_dog
I think what may have been confusing me is that the book says that the minimum value of mod(z) is 3. It's 1, is it not?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes ...2 -1 = 3 NOT :borat:

to find Q it is best to draw a diagram. the triangle OQC where O is the origin and C is the centre of the circle is congruent to triangle OQR where R is the point where the circle meets the x axis. it is straightforward to find OQ ( = OR ) using Pythagoras, then find the coordinates of Q using trig.
Reply 6
Original post by the bear
yes ...2 -1 = 3 NOT :borat:

to find Q it is best to draw a diagram. the triangle OQC where O is the origin and C is the centre of the circle is congruent to triangle OQR where R is the point where the circle meets the x axis. it is straightforward to find OQ ( = OR ) using Pythagoras, then find the coordinates of Q using trig.

That's what I did, sort of. The question wants the value or arg(z) for z=Q:

Thanks for your help :smile: Stupid book with wrong answers -_-.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest