Watch
This discussion is closed.
~Sam~
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Geogger)
However, at school we have been given information that for certain courses (English, Law etc) places like Bristol (and other similar Unis) tend to dislike Sociology, Media Studies, Theatre Studies etc. Beware when choosing your A2 courses, if you want to apply to a top Uni.
Not true. My friend got an offer from Cambridge to do history with A levels in History, English and Sociology and AS in RS (another supposed micky mouse subject)
Geogger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ~Sam~)
Not true. My friend got an offer from Cambridge to do history with A levels in History, English and Sociology and AS in RS (another supposed micky mouse subject)
I was talking about certain courses and I am fairly sure about English and Law... History was not on the original list, but since Cam do SPS, I suspect they may have been a bit more lenient on the Sociology side of things anyway.
All I am trying to do is to warn people not to just take courses because they "sound interesting" without thinking of possible consequences. Possibly taking one of these courses wouldn't matter too much, but taking two might restrict your choices considerably
HereFishyFishy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hi- NO- do not be put off by some of the more negative responses in this thread! I personally believe that sociology can be a good subject to take at A Level...I took it, and got into Durham to do law, despite them being one of the most traditional uni's.

Personally, i found sociology a very interesting subject. It helped me alot in my other 'traditional' subjects ( History, Eng Lit, Eng Lang) In English literature, sociology was a Godsendwhen studying 1984 and Brave New World and I know for a fact that the 'Crime and Deviance' section will be useful in regards to Law....a friend of mine ( a law student) recently borrowed several of my old sociology books to write an essay on official statistics!

I think that as long as you do two 'traditional' subjects....and if sociology can really benefit your course ( i.e. this could be the case for History, English or Law) it is a fine option. It certainly did me no harm...or two of my friends who got into Oxbridge with sociology...and yes, they did only do three A-levels If you want to do it, go for it...just make sure you get an A
W.A.S Hewins
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Evil Muffin)
Sociology is certainly not a 'soft' subject! There are loads of figures and studies to learn, as well as the views of different sociologists. There's a lot of political knowledge mixed in too: new left realism, the new right, marxism, interpretivism, functionalism, feminism....
I've found it to be very enlightening and helpful for doing my English degree starting in October.

I agree. It's a lot more theoretical and analytical than things like Eng Lit or Art History. I agree also with the comments made about how few of those who **** it off have ever actually taken the trouble to read a few books on the subject..
Sarky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I have 2 offers to do medicine and i did sociology at A2 level. Do what you will enjoy and get the best grade in. Don't listen to other people because they aren't going to be there when you choose a uni.
Ladyluck
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Mark_KK)

Is this abit like the universities whos Law departments dont like people who have done A-Level Law?
durham were like that with me. Tho i dont give a damn cus i got into Noittingham which has fewer rahs, a decent chance of social life and sport other than naff collegeiate rowing, which when i visited was of a rubbish standard.
silverchaired1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I really dont understand the logic behind places not taking law a level for a law degree. Surely it's better for students to actually know something about the degree course instead of having a load of people that know nothing about law that just want to do it because of the novelty or the earning potential...? Law isn't an easy A level to do.
Ladyluck
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by silverchaired1)
I really dont understand the logic behind places not taking law a level for a law degree. Surely it's better for students to actually know something about the degree course instead of having a load of people that know nothing about law that just want to do it because of the novelty or the earning potential...? Law isn't an easy A level to do.
EXACTLY. Its the earning potential thing that attracts the rahs to durham im sure. They dont respect it as an a level i suppose as its newer and less established. It is also not offered at a large majority of schools esp not private schools, so they figure they have to hate it else it will give FE college people a better chance than their preferred private schoolers.
young_free
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Mark_KK)
Is this abit like the universities whos Law departments dont like people who have done A-Level Law?

Who doesn't like that?!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (294)
34.23%
No (565)
65.77%

Watched Threads