Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Motorbike Society- IV Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Passed my mod 2 today (on a gladius, though) which means I now have cat A!
    Wooo!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imperial_Maniac)
    Dad just bought a new 1200RT, it's swish
    This post is useless without pictures

And does this mean I've now lost the joint title of largest bike in thread?

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Dads BMW.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  216.9 KB
    (Original post by Boristhethird)
    This post is useless without pictures

And does this mean I've now lost the joint title of largest bike in thread?
    Happy now? :P

ReputationRep:
    What is everyone's opinions on PCP?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know of any motocross clubs in Lancashire. Also anyone any tips on how to get into racing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lxbsly)
    What is everyone's opinions on PCP?
    If you look after the bike, keep it low mile and want to change it every 3 years then it works, otherwise it's not a good idea.

(Original post by emma.sx)
    Anyone know of any motocross clubs in Lancashire. Also anyone any tips on how to get into racing?
    For racing, you need an acu licence first, then the common one to start with is the mini twin (650cc twins).

ReputationRep:
    I'm on TV!

Bizarre er on e4, it's me and my sv in the reconstruction shots

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone think it's a good idea to ride a bike to college? Is it worth the risk? I don't know anyone who ride a bike but I don't want to use public transport anymore; t's takes around 1 hour to go and back from college. It's 2.2 miles and around three-quarters of the journey is on an A-road, how longer do you think it'll take? I would only have a CBT (still 16).

Also, any recommendations on a 125cc bike (around £700 or below) with relatively cheap insurance? I heard Chinese bikes are horrible and break apart after a few years of riding, is this true?

Sorry for bombarding this with question. I'm just a curious. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UnknownStudent1)
    Anyone think it's a good idea to ride a bike to college? Is it worth the risk? I don't know anyone who ride a bike but I don't want to use public transport anymore; t's takes around 1 hour to go and back from college. It's 2.2 miles and around three-quarters of the journey is on an A-road, how longer do you think it'll take? I would only have a CBT (still 16).

Also, any recommendations on a 125cc bike (around £700 or below) with relatively cheap insurance? I heard Chinese bikes are horrible and break apart after a few years of riding, is this true?

Sorry for bombarding this with question. I'm just a curious. Thanks
    Look, at 16 I'm fairly sure you're restricted to a 50cc/33mph machine. If that's the case absolutely not worth it.

When you turn 17, you can ride a 125cc, most capable of just reaching 70mph so you'll be fine on that with A roads.

The journey, 2.2 miles. Look, that's not longer than a 10 minute ride, especially with A roads. You can filter which can speed things up. It really won't take long and will be much much faster than public transport. I know when I had the school run on buses that it stopped at every stop on the way for students.

In terms of bikes, almost all 125cc bikes unless modified have pretty much the same performance. I had a CBR125RR. Great bike. But tbh any 125cc will do the job the same. I think even the Chinese ones aren't too bad because at the end of the day, you'll be getting rid after 2 years most likely.

Insurance for me at 17 was 650 for the year, third party fire and theft. Second year I got to 400. Now I'm on a 650cc paying 250. I think as that was a few years ago, depending on location, you'll be looking at 700-800. But don't hold me to it.

Finally, I'm terms of risk, I'm a strong believe that of you ride safe you'll be fine. I understand you can't control for other drivers, and there will be the rare occasion that simply there is nothing you can do. But 99% of the time, if you plan ahead, read the road well, and ride sensibly you will be fine. I've been riding 3 years so far, I've covered a lot of miles and a fair few of those on unfamiliar roads. Never had a problem. When I think about it in fact, the times where I did get close to an accident, it was because I was speeding or just not paying attention. So my fault.

Good luck. Hope it helps.

ReputationRep:
    Wow. Thank you for this thorough quick reply. I've done a few comparisons in relation with bikes. Do you recommend me buying a brand new Chinese bike or good quality bike like the Yamaha YBR125? I'm not very familiar with bikes but I'm always awestruck when ever I see one. Also, I don't have a job right now but you think its worth it, obviously get my parents finance it and pay them off later. Again, thank you so much.

(Original post by lxbsly)
    Look, at 16 I'm fairly sure you're restricted to a 50cc/33mph machine. If that's the case absolutely not worth it.

When you turn 17, you can ride a 125cc, most capable of just reaching 70mph so you'll be fine on that with A roads.

The journey, 2.2 miles. Look, that's not longer than a 10 minute ride, especially with A roads. You can filter which can speed things up. It really won't take long and will be much much faster than public transport. I know when I had the school run on buses that it stopped at every stop on the way for students.

In terms of bikes, almost all 125cc bikes unless modified have pretty much the same performance. I had a CBR125RR. Great bike. But tbh any 125cc will do the job the same. I think even the Chinese ones aren't too bad because at the end of the day, you'll be getting rid after 2 years most likely.

Insurance for me at 17 was 650 for the year, third party fire and theft. Second year I got to 400. Now I'm on a 650cc paying 250. I think as that was a few years ago, depending on location, you'll be looking at 700-800. But don't hold me to it.

Finally, I'm terms of risk, I'm a strong believe that of you ride safe you'll be fine. I understand you can't control for other drivers, and there will be the rare occasion that simply there is nothing you can do. But 99% of the time, if you plan ahead, read the road well, and ride sensibly you will be fine. I've been riding 3 years so far, I've covered a lot of miles and a fair few of those on unfamiliar roads. Never had a problem. When I think about it in fact, the times where I did get close to an accident, it was because I was speeding or just not paying attention. So my fault.

Good luck. Hope it helps.

ReputationRep:
    Wow. Thank you for this thorough quick reply. I've doune a few comparisons in relation with bikes. Do you recommend me buying a brand new Chinese bike or good quality bike like the Yamaha YBR125? I'm not very familiar with bikes but I'm always awestruck when ever I see one. Also, I don't have a job right now but you think its worth it, obviously get my parents finance it and pay them off later. Again, thank you so much.
    In terms of finance, I'd definitely edge towards a second hand bike bought in cash. Especially as it's you're first.

I would be more inclined to buy a good condition secondhand yamaha/Honda. Those are most common. You can probably pick one up for around 1-1.5k.

ReputationRep:
    h

How have you been getting on?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: March 27, 2017
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Still A Remainer Or A Brexiteer?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.