?
Report 3 years ago
What is everyone's opinions on PCP?
emma.sx
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Anyone know of any motocross clubs in Lancashire. Also anyone any tips on how to get into racing?
Boristhethird
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by lxbsly)
What is everyone's opinions on PCP?
If you look after the bike, keep it low mile and want to change it every 3 years then it works, otherwise it's not a good idea.

(Original post by emma.sx)
Anyone know of any motocross clubs in Lancashire. Also anyone any tips on how to get into racing?
For racing, you need an acu licence first, then the common one to start with is the mini twin (650cc twins).
Boristhethird
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm on TV!

Bizarre er on e4, it's me and my sv in the reconstruction shots

Posted from TSR Mobile
UnknownStudent1
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Anyone think it's a good idea to ride a bike to college? Is it worth the risk? I don't know anyone who ride a bike but I don't want to use public transport anymore; t's takes around 1 hour to go and back from college. It's 2.2 miles and around three-quarters of the journey is on an A-road, how longer do you think it'll take? I would only have a CBT (still 16).

Also, any recommendations on a 125cc bike (around £700 or below) with relatively cheap insurance? I heard Chinese bikes are horrible and break apart after a few years of riding, is this true?

Sorry for bombarding this with question. I'm just a curious. Thanks
lxbsly
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by UnknownStudent1)
Anyone think it's a good idea to ride a bike to college? Is it worth the risk? I don't know anyone who ride a bike but I don't want to use public transport anymore; t's takes around 1 hour to go and back from college. It's 2.2 miles and around three-quarters of the journey is on an A-road, how longer do you think it'll take? I would only have a CBT (still 16).

Also, any recommendations on a 125cc bike (around £700 or below) with relatively cheap insurance? I heard Chinese bikes are horrible and break apart after a few years of riding, is this true?

Sorry for bombarding this with question. I'm just a curious. Thanks
Look, at 16 I'm fairly sure you're restricted to a 50cc/33mph machine. If that's the case absolutely not worth it.

When you turn 17, you can ride a 125cc, most capable of just reaching 70mph so you'll be fine on that with A roads.

The journey, 2.2 miles. Look, that's not longer than a 10 minute ride, especially with A roads. You can filter which can speed things up. It really won't take long and will be much much faster than public transport. I know when I had the school run on buses that it stopped at every stop on the way for students.

In terms of bikes, almost all 125cc bikes unless modified have pretty much the same performance. I had a CBR125RR. Great bike. But tbh any 125cc will do the job the same. I think even the Chinese ones aren't too bad because at the end of the day, you'll be getting rid after 2 years most likely.

Insurance for me at 17 was 650 for the year, third party fire and theft. Second year I got to 400. Now I'm on a 650cc paying 250. I think as that was a few years ago, depending on location, you'll be looking at 700-800. But don't hold me to it.

Finally, I'm terms of risk, I'm a strong believe that of you ride safe you'll be fine. I understand you can't control for other drivers, and there will be the rare occasion that simply there is nothing you can do. But 99% of the time, if you plan ahead, read the road well, and ride sensibly you will be fine. I've been riding 3 years so far, I've covered a lot of miles and a fair few of those on unfamiliar roads. Never had a problem. When I think about it in fact, the times where I did get close to an accident, it was because I was speeding or just not paying attention. So my fault.

Good luck. Hope it helps.
UnknownStudent1
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Wow. Thank you for this thorough quick reply. I've done a few comparisons in relation with bikes. Do you recommend me buying a brand new Chinese bike or good quality bike like the Yamaha YBR125? I'm not very familiar with bikes but I'm always awestruck when ever I see one. Also, I don't have a job right now but you think its worth it, obviously get my parents finance it and pay them off later. Again, thank you so much.

(Original post by lxbsly)
Look, at 16 I'm fairly sure you're restricted to a 50cc/33mph machine. If that's the case absolutely not worth it.

When you turn 17, you can ride a 125cc, most capable of just reaching 70mph so you'll be fine on that with A roads.

The journey, 2.2 miles. Look, that's not longer than a 10 minute ride, especially with A roads. You can filter which can speed things up. It really won't take long and will be much much faster than public transport. I know when I had the school run on buses that it stopped at every stop on the way for students.

In terms of bikes, almost all 125cc bikes unless modified have pretty much the same performance. I had a CBR125RR. Great bike. But tbh any 125cc will do the job the same. I think even the Chinese ones aren't too bad because at the end of the day, you'll be getting rid after 2 years most likely.

Insurance for me at 17 was 650 for the year, third party fire and theft. Second year I got to 400. Now I'm on a 650cc paying 250. I think as that was a few years ago, depending on location, you'll be looking at 700-800. But don't hold me to it.

Finally, I'm terms of risk, I'm a strong believe that of you ride safe you'll be fine. I understand you can't control for other drivers, and there will be the rare occasion that simply there is nothing you can do. But 99% of the time, if you plan ahead, read the road well, and ride sensibly you will be fine. I've been riding 3 years so far, I've covered a lot of miles and a fair few of those on unfamiliar roads. Never had a problem. When I think about it in fact, the times where I did get close to an accident, it was because I was speeding or just not paying attention. So my fault.

Good luck. Hope it helps.
lxbsly
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Wow. Thank you for this thorough quick reply. I've doune a few comparisons in relation with bikes. Do you recommend me buying a brand new Chinese bike or good quality bike like the Yamaha YBR125? I'm not very familiar with bikes but I'm always awestruck when ever I see one. Also, I don't have a job right now but you think its worth it, obviously get my parents finance it and pay them off later. Again, thank you so much.
In terms of finance, I'd definitely edge towards a second hand bike bought in cash. Especially as it's you're first.

I would be more inclined to buy a good condition secondhand yamaha/Honda. Those are most common. You can probably pick one up for around 1-1.5k.
lxbsly
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
h

How have you been getting on?
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Boristhethird just set fire to his bike :hahaha:
Imperial_Maniac
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Wow. Thank you for this thorough quick reply. I've done a few comparisons in relation with bikes. Do you recommend me buying a brand new Chinese bike or good quality bike like the Yamaha YBR125? I'm not very familiar with bikes but I'm always awestruck when ever I see one. Also, I don't have a job right now but you think its worth it, obviously get my parents finance it and pay them off later. Again, thank you so much.
Do not buy Chinese.
Imperial_Maniac
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Also how has no one posted since March
Imperial_Maniac
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Juno)
Boristhethird just set fire to his bike :hahaha:
How?
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Imperial_Maniac)
How?
He's Boris :dontknow:

He was fixing the DRZ
Boristhethird
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
How?

Was trying to start the bike, spraying easy start into the air box and it ignited in the air box.
Imperial_Maniac
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Boristhethird)
Was trying to start the bike, spraying easy start into the air box and it ignited in the air box.
Nice
HopefulAgony37
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nice
Ummm, very nice!
hsv
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In wsb race 1 at Thailand why did Jonathan rea say his contact with Bautista was not a mx pass? What is an mx pass? And how does it compare to a pass in racetrack racing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Blanco20
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So is this just an online chat society or do members meet up for ride outs
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Blanco20)
So is this just an online chat society or do members meet up for ride outs
Online chat I'd imagine, I didn't even know we had this thread.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (106)
13.49%
I'm not sure (35)
4.45%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (241)
30.66%
I have already dropped out (19)
2.42%
I'm not a current university student (385)
48.98%

Watched Threads