Motorbike Society- IV

Watch
omarion526
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by SimonJB)
Hello there! I currently have a Yamaha YBR 125 (still on the L plates of shame for the moment). I'm starting uni in September and am at a dilemma as to how I should proceed. I was originally going to get a car licence and car for uni, but given it's a city uni and the parking is atrocious I think that's a bad idea.

So my options are as follows:

-Sell my bike and rely on god-awful public transport (not keen on this)
-Stick with my bike on L plates and renew my CBT when it expires
-Do my A1 over the summer and strip off the L's
-Do the theory in the summer, and do my A2 practical mods in September (as I'm 19 at the start of Sept).
-Go against the recommendations and get a car

Now after this 'lovely' winter and the possibility of rarely using a bike in the city, I'm struggling to make up my mind. Any advice, experience, or recommendations are much appreciated!
I used to commute on bike all year round. got very cold but still looked forwards to the trips home.. but if it's going to be your only mode of transport then unless you're up for having to get the bus once in a while if its really wet/icy then you might want to go for a car. You will however be substantially less awesome as a person without a bike. plus what's a few days on a bus compared to many more riding around in the summer?
Motorbiker
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hello there! I currently have a Yamaha YBR 125 (still on the L plates of shame for the moment). I'm starting uni in September and am at a dilemma as to how I should proceed. I was originally going to get a car licence and car for uni, but given it's a city uni and the parking is atrocious I think that's a bad idea.

-Do the theory in the summer, and do my A2 practical mods in September (as I'm 19 at the start of Sept).

Now after this 'lovely' winter and the possibility of rarely using a bike in the city, I'm struggling to make up my mind. Any advice, experience, or recommendations are much appreciated!
Go for this option. Bikes are awesome at uni and very convenient to park wherever you want.

I've had my bike here for over three years now and is very useful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Imperial_Maniac
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

-Sell my bike and rely on god-awful public transport (not keen on this)
-Stick with my bike on L plates and renew my CBT when it expires
-Do my A1 over the summer and strip off the L's
-Go against the recommendations and get a car

Keep the bike!

Cars are expensive to buy, expensive to insure, and expensive to fuel.

YBR125s ar cheap as it gets Also you can skip traffic. Win.

Now, which test you do depends entirely on whether you plan on getting a bigger bike before you're 24, if you're not, then go for the A1. If on the other hand you do want a bike with powweeeerrrrr (I don't see why you wouldn't) then do the A2 (although obviously it will be restricted to 46bhp until you do the A.
SimonJB
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Cheers for the replies, I'm just thinking about how practical they are as regards uni, I have a Givi Topbox and a rucksack, is that generally enough?

If I keep the YBR (it is a great little bike) do you guys recommend I definitely do the full test, or stick with my L's?

And if I decide to do the A2, what larger bike would be more practical, a nippy 250 or something a little bigger?
Imperial_Maniac
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Cheers for the replies, I'm just thinking about how practical they are as regards uni, I have a Givi Topbox and a rucksack, is that generally enough?

If I keep the YBR (it is a great little bike) do you guys recommend I definitely do the full test, or stick with my L's?

And if I decide to do the A2, what larger bike would be more practical, a nippy 250 or something a little bigger?
To be perfectly honest. Although I love my SV, it would honestly have been more practical to have a 125 at uni, simply because of the lack of income vs fuel costs.

I'd say do the a2, training can't do you any harm, even if you don't progress to a bigger bike.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Boristhethird
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Free Suzuki neck buff!

https://www.suzuki-gb.co.uk/motorcyc...enrichmentform
Motorbiker
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

I have a Givi top box and a rucksack and can buy a weeks worth of shopping in it easily. MUCH easier than doing in on a bicycle or the bus.

You are limited to space but no limit on weight. So sometimes i go shopping for big things on foot locally like loo roll etc.

Tbh i'd keep with the YBR. Unless you're doing big trips very often then the YBR is the best bike for the job.

I'd do the A2 just for the future. It gets it out of the way and you can then upgrade your bike in the future. Doing a CBT repeatedly is wasting money imo.
Bathwiggle
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago

you become very good at tetrus... i use the 18 pack of toilet paper at the bottom, and then cargo net upwards! Camping including tent, clothes for 2 weeks and all the other bits on the back of an sv 650. Tank bags also help. I also ride all weathers and use bin bags as water proofing. F4LL3N moves PCs about with his.

i'd do the full test just to give yu the options. I went from test to a 400cc which gave me the power a 125 lacked but wasn't insane. i really don't like 125's generally
Billbr
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi, new member and potential uni student at Plymouth in September..

Don't have my license yet but around 6 months ago I bought a BSA Bantam D7, and repaired/restored it with the majority of my savings, with just a little bit left to do, mainly involving the electrics but it's rather simple due to being such an old bike and not very advanced. As far as I know the bike is tax exempt, saving me a bit of money. Not my image, but here is pretty much exactly what it looks like, top speed isn't great but I'm not old enough for a bigger bike, and I won't ever be travelling too far on it. Though I've heard of people doing John o groats to lands end on them.

F4LL3N
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
In fact I'm surprised Imperial's SV costs. I find my SV to be super cheap to run. OK petrol usage is greater on an SV, but when rode well it can do 306 miles on a tank (yes I tried). Also, the fact there is some power there helps run more efficiently when transporting heavy items, pillions etc. Plus insurance is cheap (cheaper than my 125 was) although of course the 125 wins on tax. But when you think about it, keeping a 125 for commuting and the SV for other stuff doesn't make much sense. Must be cheaper to have just the SV and use it for everything than paying 2 tax's, maintaining 2 bikes, 2 insurances etc.

In extra news Pyrenees Day 2: http://mcblogspot83.blogspot.co.uk/2...ees-day-2.html (yes incredibly late...)
curtis871
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Piko_Piko)
It's my bike, but shinier.
Attachment 265402

How stupid do you guys think it would be to use a bike to transport a carpet washer? It's slightly bigger than a henry hoover. I'm going to tape it to the pillion seat by means of duct tape, and use bungee cords to attach it to the top box and around me.
Stupid, or inspired? Also, am I likely to get pulled over or anything?
That's an easy one to move. I'm planning on moving a 6 foot dining room table tomorrow. Still not sure how though :confused:.

(Original post by Maccees)
I think I might need to bleed them a little bit more, I'm not sure if I'm just used to stronger brakes on a car or whatever but it didn't have the force I thought it might have.

They work though. Ten minutes after confirming the insurance and going out for my first little ride, some old bloke reverses straight out of his driveway without looking making me slam on and the back end went all over the place. Absolutely **** myself :lol:.

Then after seeing me, winds his window down and shouts, "You lot should look where you're going more often", and drives off.

Resisting the urge to punch side mirrors off is going to be hard isn't it...
It's an urge I've managed to resist. I use my elbows instead .
Imperial_Maniac
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by F4LL3N)
In fact I'm surprised Imperial's SV costs. I find my SV to be super cheap to run. OK petrol usage is greater on an SV, but when rode well it can do 306 miles on a tank (yes I tried). Also, the fact there is some power there helps run more efficiently when transporting heavy items, pillions etc. Plus insurance is cheap (cheaper than my 125 was) although of course the 125 wins on tax. But when you think about it, keeping a 125 for commuting and the SV for other stuff doesn't make much sense. Must be cheaper to have just the SV and use it for everything than paying 2 tax's, maintaining 2 bikes, 2 insurances etc.

In extra news Pyrenees Day 2: http://mcblogspot83.blogspot.co.uk/2...ees-day-2.html (yes incredibly late...)
My SV eats fuel and I'm not entirely sure why- granted I was using it mostly at low speeds, and maybe it's just the shock from going from a bike that did 130 mpg, but it does feel like it's constantly thirsty. I usually get 80-90 miles to a tank :/ I know the twin plug SVs are more economical than the single plugs, but still!

It might be that the restriction is making it run rubbish? Who knows!

ignore the city/highway ratio, they're pretty much all city except for the one where I got 43 mpg.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/imperialmaniac/sv650s
Motorbiker
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by F4LL3N)

Yea but 125 are usually a lot cheaper on insurance, maybe because you were older it was less.

And the mpg is double on a 125.

I never take pillions so not sure how much they suffer but if you take them a lot it could definitely be worth it.

And A road and motorway miles would suck on a 125 but most don't do them often.
345rty
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Billbr)
Hi, new member and potential uni student at Plymouth in September..

Don't have my license yet but around 6 months ago I bought a BSA Bantam D7, and repaired/restored it with the majority of my savings, with just a little bit left to do, mainly involving the electrics but it's rather simple due to being such an old bike and not very advanced. As far as I know the bike is tax exempt, saving me a bit of money. Not my image, but here is pretty much exactly what it looks like, top speed isn't great but I'm not old enough for a bigger bike, and I won't ever be travelling too far on it. Though I've heard of people doing John o groats to lands end on them.

Looks nice, assuming you are 17/18 if about to go off to uni can you ride it on an A1 licence if its a 175cc?
Billbr
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by 345rty)
Looks nice, assuming you are 17/18 if about to go off to uni can you ride it on an A1 licence if its a 175cc?
Sorry, forgot to mention that I've swapped the engine with the lesser/earlier 123cc D1 engine
Boristhethird
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
anyone live in Darwen? police giving free bike locks to residents?

http://darwen-life.co.uk/police-offer-free-locks/
Bathwiggle
Rep:
?
(Original post by Imperial_Maniac)
My SV eats fuel and I'm not entirely sure why- granted I was using it mostly at low speeds, and maybe it's just the shock from going from a bike that did 130 mpg, but it does feel like it's constantly thirsty. I usually get 80-90 miles to a tank :/ I know the twin plug SVs are more economical than the single plugs, but still!

It might be that the restriction is making it run rubbish? Who knows!

ignore the city/highway ratio, they're pretty much all city except for the one where I got 43 mpg.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/imperialmaniac/sv650s
is mine http://www.fuelly.com/driver/wigglez/sv650s

I assume 190 to a tank, with motorway driving, 180 if town driving. I;d be a bit worried. How is your chain? is it all lubed. Are they clean sparks.. and do you have a petrol leak!

What revs do you normally run it at?
Imperial_Maniac
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Bathwiggle)
is mine http://www.fuelly.com/driver/wigglez/sv650s

I assume 190 to a tank, with motorway driving, 180 if town driving. I;d be a bit worried. How is your chain? is it all lubed. Are they clean sparks.. and do you have a petrol leak!

What revs do you normally run it at?
Replaced the sparks and chain when I got the bike, theres no obvious sign of a leak. Can't really recall revs, haven't ridden it since November.
Bathwiggle
Rep:
?
(Original post by Imperial_Maniac)
Replaced the sparks and chain when I got the bike, theres no obvious sign of a leak. Can't really recall revs, haven't ridden it since November.
I normally run mine at less than 5... 6000 is 80 i think on my bike in 6th gear. Normally in town its as lower gear as possible. I did have a few issues when i got it riding it like a 4 cylinder, and only managd 120miles to a tank, but once i adapted to the twin the fuel was far better
Imperial_Maniac
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Bathwiggle)
I normally run mine at less than 5... 6000 is 80 i think on my bike in 6th gear. Normally in town its as lower gear as possible. I did have a few issues when i got it riding it like a 4 cylinder, and only managd 120miles to a tank, but once i adapted to the twin the fuel was far better
I think its the ECU restrictors fault, I highly doubt they bothered to map it properly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (107)
13.53%
I'm not sure (36)
4.55%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (242)
30.59%
I have already dropped out (19)
2.4%
I'm not a current university student (387)
48.93%

Watched Threads