The Student Room Group

Motorbike Society- IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Boristhethird
people clean their chains :confused:

in seriosness, the one time ive actually done it i used white spirits (i think) and a tooth brush.

you can get actual chain cleaner in a can too

Mine has acquired quite a bit of gunk so I thought I probably should haha. I'm too cheap to go out and actually buy something though :colone:. My Dad has quite a few cans of WD40 around so thought I could just use one of them.
Original post by Maccees
Mine has acquired quite a bit of gunk so I thought I probably should haha. I'm too cheap to go out and actually buy something though :colone:. My Dad has quite a few cans of WD40 around so thought I could just use one of them.

might work, id attack it with water after then leave to dry before oiling again

also, while we are on the subject, don't do it with the engine running (not that you would anyway)
might work, id attack it with water after then leave to dry before oiling again

also, while we are on the subject, don't do it with the engine running (not that you would anyway)

Yeah I'll put it on the centre stand and put it in neutral. I saw a few graphic pictures on another forum where a guy did it with the engine running and had a few of his fingers chopped of by the sprocket.
Original post by Maccees
Yeah I'll put it on the centre stand and put it in neutral. I saw a few graphic pictures on another forum where a guy did it with the engine running and had a few of his fingers chopped of by the sprocket.

:/ Darwin award 101 there.

Just get a rag and clean it with WD40 then whack some chain grease on after.
Reply 1564
I put my bike on paddock stands, spray chain cleaner, wipe the chain and then put some Castrol chain lube on it. Ten minute job.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone bought a bike from gumtree? obviously gonna check it before handing any payments over but any previous experiences?
I found a decent 2009 yzf r125, 13k miles, pretty clean without any damages and scorpion exhaust :u:
for £1700
Reply 1566
Original post by Islam Hamza
Has anyone bought a bike from gumtree? obviously gonna check it before handing any payments over but any previous experiences?
I found a decent 2009 yzf r125, 13k miles, pretty clean without any damages and scorpion exhaust :u:
for £1700

Seems a bit cheap to me but check it out
Original post by Maccees
Chain looks a bit grubby, I go online to see how to clean it and as per, the internet is full of arguments about which way is best. There seems to be a divide between people who do and don't use WD40 haha.

How do you guys do it?

WD40, a toothbrush and an old tea towel. I've used proper chain cleaning fluids before but after watching the video below (Del Boy's Garage is seriously worth looking through; the guy's brilliant), I've used WD40 since and never had a better result!

Also, found a few photos from our meet donkey's ago. When I'm back in September, do you lot want to meet up again? Similar sort of thing, meet in the middle, go for a ride and eat at pub that did a brilliant roasted lamb shank with red wine gravy?
(edited 10 years ago)
Near miss this morning. I was out for a morning jog on the country roads, when I heard a bike approaching. For the rider, it was a sharp left turn, with chevrons and SLOW on the road. He was as far to his left as possible while I pressed myself into the hedgerow. He went into a right wobble as he swerved to miss me. No harm done, but I hope he works on his road positioning a bit.
Original post by Maccees
Chain looks a bit grubby, I go online to see how to clean it and as per, the internet is full of arguments about which way is best. There seems to be a divide between people who do and don't use WD40 haha.

How do you guys do it?

Parafin in a spray bottle, news paper underneather (mother complains about the marks on the drive) and then spray, it just falls off. (dirt not the chain!)

Original post by LandyJon
WD40, a toothbrush and an old tea towel. I've used proper chain cleaning fluids before but after watching the video below (Del Boy's Garage is seriously worth looking through; the guy's brilliant), I've used WD40 since and never had a better result!

Also, found a few photos from our meet donkey's ago. When I'm back in September, do you lot want to meet up again? Similar sort of thing, meet in the middle, go for a ride and eat at pub that did a brilliant roasted lamb shank with red wine gravy?

I'm away the first week off round scotland by the look of things, other than that would be good to meet up!

Original post by Matureb
Near miss this morning. I was out for a morning jog on the country roads, when I heard a bike approaching. For the rider, it was a sharp left turn, with chevrons and SLOW on the road. He was as far to his left as possible while I pressed myself into the hedgerow. He went into a right wobble as he swerved to miss me. No harm done, but I hope he works on his road positioning a bit.

Bit worrying, i'm glad he missed you and didn't lose the bike.

Boris the honda went for £1550!
Original post by Bathwiggle

you should have taken me up on that mars bar
it would even have been a duo

id be up for this :smile:

oh and you lot made me clean my chain!
just dont tell juno:ninja:

Yes* as I'm back down south

*subject to shifts

Original post by Bathwiggle

Your cbr?
am i the only one left with a fazer?

is the temp light meant to come on when you push the starter button (along with fuel and oil light to test)?

I saw a video of his a while ago and I've been looking for him since but couldn't remember his channel name haha :biggrin:

What about motorbiker?

is the temp light meant to come on when you push the starter button (along with fuel and oil light to test)?

well I'm trying to get one :tongue:

Nope.

I honestly can't remember.

Think i had it coming on yesterday during my quick 220mile blast home. Got told it would take 5 hours by parents. Did it in 4 hours with a pitstop. It was fine when cruising in top gear but at lower speeds/gears when i held onto a gear beyond like 7k revs the light kept coming on.

Original post by Imperial_Maniac
What about motorbiker?

Thanks. :biggrin:
Original post by Lantana
well I'm trying to get one :tongue:

the wrong one :unimpressed:

Original post by Motorbiker
Nope.

I honestly can't remember.

Think i had it coming on yesterday during my quick 220mile blast home. Got told it would take 5 hours by parents. Did it in 4 hours with a pitstop. It was fine when cruising in top gear but at lower speeds/gears when i held onto a gear beyond like 7k revs the light kept coming on.

Thanks. :biggrin:

i thought you where still on the SV
the wrong one :unimpressed:

i thought you where still on the SV

Nope, got my bike fixed and the Sv sent back a few weeks back. Must have forgotten to mention it here.

Main difference is my bike is sparkly clean. I'd had it covered in FS365 and a thick layer of grime since the beginning of winter.

Had a great fun blast across the country in the sun yesterday though. The difference in fuel consumption between cruising at 80 and 100 is very apparent though. :frown: It did shave like an hour off the journey time on the other hand.
Original post by Motorbiker
Nope, got my bike fixed and the Sv sent back a few weeks back. Must have forgotten to mention it here.

Main difference is my bike is sparkly clean. I'd had it covered in FS365 and a thick layer of grime since the beginning of winter.

Had a great fun blast across the country in the sun yesterday though. The difference in fuel consumption between cruising at 80 and 100 is very apparent though. :frown: It did shave like an hour off the journey time on the other hand.

i probably wasn't paying attention.

someone commented on my bike being clean the other day, i think he just expected it to be worse

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending