The Student Room Group

Motorbike Society- IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dez
Encountered the mother of all squids today. Was sat at the traffic lights on my way home. Guy comes up the RHS of the lane (filtering). He's wearing a helmet, hoodie and joggers. Gets to the light, inches past the traffic island then drives over the right-hand lane onto the pavement near the railings. Dismounts, and runs his bike (on foot, engine still on) along the pavement over to the next junction. Gets back on, drives across the wrong lane again and turns right up the road. Traffic light was red during all this. Crazy.

That is.... ummm... unique..
Reply 1621
Original post by Bathwiggle
That is.... ummm... unique..

…for which we can all be thankful, I suppose. :erm:
Original post by Dez
Encountered the mother of all squids today. Was sat at the traffic lights on my way home. Guy comes up the RHS of the lane (filtering). He's wearing a helmet, hoodie and joggers. Gets to the light, inches past the traffic island then drives over the right-hand lane onto the pavement near the railings. Dismounts, and runs his bike (on foot, engine still on) along the pavement over to the next junction. Gets back on, drives across the wrong lane again and turns right up the road. Traffic light was red during all this. Crazy.

That is hilarious! Crazy moped users. I've seen/done similar things on a bicycle before but never with a motorbike. That's weird.

Also, good to see you today. Think i convinced Community team about the POTD thing as well. Thanks for the brief chat.
People on motorbike soc who have also passed their car test. Can you help me out a second?

Trying to get a new idea off the ground and it's not taking off yet. REckon it will once it gets started but needs a push atm...

It's a thread of reviewing your driving school. Will be useful for all the "anyone know a good driving school in X?" Threads we get in Learning To Drive.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2661420

Thanks. I will obviously be generously repping anyone in that thread. :wink:
Reply 1624
Original post by Motorbiker
People on motorbike soc who have also passed their car test. Can you help me out a second?

Trying to get a new idea off the ground and it's not taking off yet. REckon it will once it gets started but needs a push atm...

It's a thread of reviewing your driving school. Will be useful for all the "anyone know a good driving school in X?" Threads we get in Learning To Drive.

I passed my driving test 10 years ago.

This makes me feel old :cry:

If i can workout what the school was called other than lisa and works round colchester i will. And she drives a mini.. or did.
Done.

I can't remember my driving lessons instructor as that was 10 years ago...
Reply 1627
Original post by gbduo
Done.

Yay for old people!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Juno
Yay for old people!

Posted from TSR Mobile

img_524.jpg
If i can workout what the school was called other than lisa and works round colchester i will. And she drives a mini.. or did.

Original post by gbduo
Done.

Thanks . :biggrin:

Hopefully this picks up over time.

My driving instructor is no longer a driving instructor...
Original post by Juno
Yay for old people!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Shhh! I'm in denial!
Reply 1631
Original post by Juno
I passed my driving test 10 years ago.

This makes me feel old :cry:

Original post by gbduo
Done.

Mine was only 6 years ago.. bike 8 years ago....

And I learnt with RAC I think... but I had various different instructors as we moved ALOT
So first time out on new bike and what do I decide to do?

Spoiler

Also, why can I not go down more than one gear at a time unless I'm stopped? Going up was fine, but I couldn't seem to go down unless I did one, rode a bit and then did another and so on. This is not helpful when you don't actually stop but do need to go from 70 to 20 to 50 in a short space of time :frown:
Reply 1633
Original post by Lantana

Spoiler

Also, why can I not go down more than one gear at a time unless I'm stopped? Going up was fine, but I couldn't seem to go down unless I did one, rode a bit and then did another and so on. This is not helpful when you don't actually stop but do need to go from 70 to 20 to 50 in a short space of time :frown:

You've got to remember as well that it isn't a v-twin like the SV. The SV has fantastic engine breaking and this is due to the v-twin engine unlike an inline 4.
Original post by Lantana

Spoiler

You may be holding the revs too high when trying to drop down the gears. It won't slow down like the sv did wit the engine, IL4 just don;t. You do need to actually use the brakes on a 4. Other than the braking/gears.. how is it?

If you are concerned about the gear box might be worth getting a friend to have a go?
Original post by F4LL3N
You've got to remember as well that it isn't a v-twin like the SV. The SV has fantastic engine breaking and this is due to the v-twin engine unlike an inline 4.

You may be holding the revs too high when trying to drop down the gears. It won't slow down like the sv did wit the engine, IL4 just don;t. You do need to actually use the brakes on a 4. Other than the braking/gears.. how is it?

If you are concerned about the gear box might be worth getting a friend to have a go?

hmm, well I'll see how I get on then. Got to take it to the garage to get them to put a variety of things on (oh heated grips how I miss you!) anyhow, so if still bugging me then, I can get them to look at it. My revs don't tend to get that high which was perplexing me. It's much more sitty up than the SV, but less windy and SOOOO smooth. Kickstand is annoying me but that can be fixed/gotten used to. I'm not sure if the centre of gravity is lower too or it might be muscle memory kicking in :shrug:
:ahhhhh:

Bloke made a full recovery!
Original post by Lantana

Spoiler

where's the pictures!
(or did I miss you posting them before)

I'll happily volunteer :tongue:
Is your foot coming completely off the shifter every time you try going down?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Boristhethird
where's the pictures!
(or did I miss you posting them before)

on fb
Original post by gbduo
Is your foot coming completely off the shifter every time you try going down?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congratulations, you win the prize (which I figured out this morning).

Now I need to figure out how to adjust it as I have to physically bring my foot completely off and this will not work long term

Quick Reply

Latest