The Student Room Group

So i just lost my Gym Virginity....

Hi,

Went to the gym for the first time tonight, with a couple of mates who regularly go. They had a protein shake after which they said is good for muscle growth. I told them i wanted to lose weight as well as gain muscle and they suggested diet protein shakes?

Can anyone recommend what diet protein shakes to go for? and do i take them after ive worked out?

cheers!
Reply 1
What the phuck are 'diet' protein shakes? And lol at your friends for being the typical 'yeah brah, gotta take dat protein shake straight after your workout'. :facepalm2: No, you don't necessarily have to take a protein shake after your workout - timing isn't that essential. If you want to loose weight but gain muscle, I'd suggest you eat on a calorie deficit but try and keep your protein high so that you don't loose the muscle you gain. You'll probably want to cut down on the carbs, eat loads of veg and keep your protein fairly high (I'd say between 1-1.2g of protein per pound of body weight).
Reply 2
ok mate, cheers. any sort of protein shake? ive found my brothers 'nurtisport - whey protein isolate' protein. would this be suitable?
Reply 3
Sort out your diet first.

Then if you want to fit in protein shakes, look into it.

Any whey protein will do. Whey isolate is basically milk without the sugars, fats and water. Concentrate has more milk stuff in it (fats+fat soluble vitamins and cholesterol). As long as you fit your macros it's fine; getting some whey and high GL carbs/sugar in post-workout is a bonus.
Reply 4
ok, do protein shakes replace a meal?
Reply 5
Original post by Joid14
ok, do protein shakes replace a meal?

Look up the basics of nutrition, in particular macronutrients. Short answer, no.

Quick Reply

Latest