The Student Room Group

Maintenance grant assessment

Hi Mark,

I am starting an ITT course in September. I am under 25 years of age but I have been living away from my parents for 5 years now.

I applied for income assessment so that I could get a maintenance grant, and Student Finance assessed my parents' income, not mine. I have been informed that I can receive a £100 maintenance grant. One of my parents has recently been made redundant, and I was eligible for a lot more maintenance grant when I was doing my undergraduate degree. So I was wondering - have the rules changed? Because the assessment should have revealed that my parents are earning less than before.

Also, I know somebody aged 25+ starting the same course as myself in September. They have been given £3,000+ maintenance grant. How is this fair, when we are both in the same position, and all that differentiates us is our ages? I won't be receiving any financial help from my parents at all.

Thanks, I look forward to your reply.
Hi there,

Your entitlement to the Maintenance Grant is based upon your parents' income details from 11/12 tax year if you are under 25 as you quite rightly said. To be assessed as an independent student, as you are under the age of 25, we would need proof (P60/Final year wage slip) that you have supported yourself financially for the past 3 years and earned approx £7500 per year. We would then base your entitlement to the grant on your own unearned taxable income you are expecting to receive during the Academic Year.

The issue with the amount of Maintenance Grant you have been awarded could indicate incorrect income information given by your parents. If the information provided is correct for 11/12 tax return, you can have your entitlement based on the estimated income for 13/14 tax year by having them complete the Current Year Income assessment form found here: http://bit.ly/13jqcb4

Thanks,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending