Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    quick question - which university has the better reputation??? Birmingham or Sheffield??

also - for English/History which would you choose?

ReputationRep:
    They are very similar in rep, both trad redbrick etc. I would say really go to whichever place you feel you would fit in best.
    I would have chosen brum if I had the choice between the 2 last year (I'm at Sheffield) but I didnt get the chance for brum because they had an earlier deadline (for postgrad courses) and my stupid uni didnt send my reference off in time.
    I am pleasantly surprised by shef because I hadnt intended to come here and hadnt visited before i accepted my place. Its a great town, quieter than brum in the centre but still good (I live near Brum so I'm quite familiar with it) but sheffield is definitely a place for the future, Sheffield and Leeds are both being developed. The public transport with the trams which are great are better in Sheffield, theres definitely enough to do. Birmingham is a more traditional campus, Sheffield is spread out all over town, some trad buildings and some concrete monstrocities.
    Sheffield is pretty safe for a city I think. There have been a couple of thefts in my hall but they were from downstairs flats who had left their windows open. The accommodation is very safe, swipe card entry to blocks etc. I did a tour of Birmingham accommodation in 98 and wasnt too impressed but of course they could have developed it since then. Sheffields accommodation is quite good for uni accommodation but it is reflected in the prices really.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section...6734%2C00.html
    Going by the times subject tables, Sheffield is better for English and Birmingham very slightly better for history. I would say therefore to go for wherever you like best. you have to spend 3 years there so dont settle for anywhere you are unhappy or dont feel 100% comfortable.

ReputationRep:
    I have been to neither...

But I would definitely pick Sheffield over B'ham in my application for 2005.

Just my personal opinions, perhaps influenced by some parts of this forum :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sami_ThePeelite)
    quick question - which university has the better reputation??? Birmingham or Sheffield??

also - for English/History which would you choose?
    brums gotta excellent rep for eng...takin that into account id pick brum over sheff

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.