This discussion is closed.
Sami_ThePeelite
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
quick question - which university has the better reputation??? Birmingham or Sheffield??

also - for English/History which would you choose?
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
They are very similar in rep, both trad redbrick etc. I would say really go to whichever place you feel you would fit in best.
I would have chosen brum if I had the choice between the 2 last year (I'm at Sheffield) but I didnt get the chance for brum because they had an earlier deadline (for postgrad courses) and my stupid uni didnt send my reference off in time.
I am pleasantly surprised by shef because I hadnt intended to come here and hadnt visited before i accepted my place. Its a great town, quieter than brum in the centre but still good (I live near Brum so I'm quite familiar with it) but sheffield is definitely a place for the future, Sheffield and Leeds are both being developed. The public transport with the trams which are great are better in Sheffield, theres definitely enough to do. Birmingham is a more traditional campus, Sheffield is spread out all over town, some trad buildings and some concrete monstrocities.
Sheffield is pretty safe for a city I think. There have been a couple of thefts in my hall but they were from downstairs flats who had left their windows open. The accommodation is very safe, swipe card entry to blocks etc. I did a tour of Birmingham accommodation in 98 and wasnt too impressed but of course they could have developed it since then. Sheffields accommodation is quite good for uni accommodation but it is reflected in the prices really.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section...6734%2C00.html
Going by the times subject tables, Sheffield is better for English and Birmingham very slightly better for history. I would say therefore to go for wherever you like best. you have to spend 3 years there so dont settle for anywhere you are unhappy or dont feel 100% comfortable.
Baby_Angelz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I have been to neither...

But I would definitely pick Sheffield over B'ham in my application for 2005.

Just my personal opinions, perhaps influenced by some parts of this forum :P
babyboo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sami_ThePeelite)
quick question - which university has the better reputation??? Birmingham or Sheffield??

also - for English/History which would you choose?
brums gotta excellent rep for eng...takin that into account id pick brum over sheff
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your firm and insurance uni choices yet?

Yes (117)
55.19%
Yes, but I want to swap them (16)
7.55%
No, but I know who I want to choose (19)
8.96%
No, I still don't know who I want to choose (50)
23.58%
I have decided I don't want to go to uni anymore and will not be choosing (10)
4.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed