Turn on thread page Beta

Can't the double angle formula just be derived from sin(a+b) etc..?

For  sin^2x+cos^2x=1 , divide by  sin^2x
     1+cot^2x=cosec^2x , or divide by  cos^2x
     tan^2x+1=sec^2x

ReputationRep:
    Tried that, there's only 2 past papers for C3 and I have the real versions of them already.

I have loads of non-edexcel past papers (ZZ and Solomon) but would like some more real ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChooChoo2)
    Tried that, there's only 2 past papers for C3 and I have the real versions of them already.

I have loads of non-edexcel past papers (ZZ and Solomon) but would like some more real ones.
    There are only two C3 past papers, it was the Pure Maths series before that.
    Try the practice papers: http://www.school-portal.co.uk/Group...kspaceId=33007
    they've been taken out of previous P2/P3 papers.

ReputationRep:
    We finished early in class and so I've done plenty of revision, I got 94% on the C3 mock and 100% on the C4. I'm feeling pretty well prepared, which is a welcome change. :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by datr)
    We finished early in class and so I've done plenty of revision, I got 94% on the C3 mock and 100% on the C4. I'm feeling pretty well prepared, which is a welcome change. :P
    I think C4 may be an evil monster. M2 was the hardest paper in years.

ReputationRep:
    I just did a C3 Soloman paper and got 100%

Thing is i did the same before M2 and ended up missing out 2 and a half questions out of 8

ReputationRep:
    I was nervous, but then I realised I only need 30 marks on each paper to get a B overall. So I can actually fail C3 and C4 and still get a B. Which has relaxed me a little (I need to get a C on both to get an A, though).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joker_900)

Thing is i did the same before M2 and ended up missing out 2 and a half questions out of 8
    Which paper? K and L are supposedly the hardest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joker_900)

I missed out one and a half questions - spread out across three questions.

ReputationRep:
    I got upto Solomon G and just died. Do we need to know how to prove the derivitives of secx cosecx and cotx? Eeek just realised I dunno graphs of arcsin, arccos and arctan, this is taking last minute revision quite literally lol

ReputationRep:
    could they ask for any 'proofs' of stuff

ReputationRep:
    Only proofs like: Using the double angle formulae, prove cos 2x = 1 - 2 sin^2 x

Personally, I prefer the C4 to the C3; some of the parts of C3 like finding ranges, drawing graphs of modular graphs are just damn annoying .

I just feel with C4 and the trig. / differentiation on C3, that it suits my style, in that to me it's more to do with understanding than knowledge (trig. identities aside).

ReputationRep:
    I think i can do it all apart from ranges and domains etc i hate them. The solomon papers r rlly good practice even if they r a bit repetative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Piggy)
    I got upto Solomon G and just died. Do we need to know how to prove the derivitives of secx cosecx and cotx? Eeek just realised I dunno graphs of arcsin, arccos and arctan, this is taking last minute revision quite literally lol
    They could ask you. Those are very easy if you rewrite them as (cosx)^-1, (sinx)^-1 and (tanx)^-1 and differentiate them in the normal way as a function such as (2x+1)^-1.

Good luck everyone. Its in the afternoon but i suggest you take the morning easy.

ReputationRep:
    well just about done all of the soloman papers now, just hope they make this c3 exam a bit nicer than the m2 last week coz that was evil in places!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom-17)
    well just about done all of the soloman papers now, just hope they make this c3 exam a bit nicer than the m2 last week coz that was evil in places!!
    I dont think C3 will be as difficult as that paper, that was one of the hardest papers in the past 4 years.

ReputationRep:
    someone i know has the c3 and c4 (or so he says)... im not doing the exam this year unfortunately :p: . said he would sell it to me for 80 pound each:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The-Wrestling-Fanatic)
    someone i know has the c3 and c4 (or so he says)... im not doing the exam this year unfortunately :p: . said he would sell it to me for 80 pound each:rolleyes:
    talk like that is frowned upon :P but Ill have those papers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Piggy)

Do we need to know how to prove the derivitives of secx cosecx and cotx?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by papz_007)
    Do we need to know how to prove the derivitives of secx cosecx and cotx?
    unlikely as they are in the book. but you should be able to do them anyway

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 12, 2006

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.