The Student Room Group

UK Security Council Rep Election - July 2013 - Vote!

This poll is closed

Who should be the next United Kingdom representative in the Security Council?

miser 55%
thunder_chunky 35%
RON (Re-open nominations)10%
Total votes: 20
Here are the manifestos for United Kingdom representative in the Security Council. There will now be 2 days of Q&A followed by 5 days of voting.

thunder_chunky
I'm T_C and this is my manifesto.
I was SG, yes, however before that I was the rep for the United States, so I have been a rep of a permanent Security Council nation before. I understand what the commitment requires and what the level of involvement is needed.
Before that I have been the rep of a number of countries dating back to early/mid 2009, so I have a great deal of experience.

Having served as Secretary General as well I got a better understanding of how the Security Council works and the importance of it. I believe the Security Council should the role models for the rest of the MUN. Leading the way with resolutions, and activity. I will do my best to be one of those countries that makes a good example.

I welcome any questions and wish the best of luck to any opponent in this election.

miserFor several months now I have represented the nation of Sweden in the MUN. Although my political views are generally in line with that country's, it is largely a neutral country and doesn't afford me much opportunity to actively participate in the MUN. I would therefore like to submit my candidacy for a role which plays a more central part in international affairs.

In terms of my experiences, I have been involved in the Model community since December. I quickly became an MP, and since March I have been the leader of the TSR Green Party, and since April I have been the leader of the MHoC Opposition. I'm an active user with an interest in both foreign and domestic affairs and with a disposition towards careful debate. I believe that I will be able to effectively represent the views of the UK, having become generally familiar with them, and would be grateful for the opportunity to participate more actively in the MUN.

If elected, I will make a sincere attempt to do justice to the role, and through doing so I hope to become more knowledgeable about the UK and its position in the international community.

RON

Good luck to both candidates.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Two very good candidates for this post :smile: Good luck to you both.
Reply 2
This is going to be tough
Reply 3
Ah, fantastic! Couldn't have hoped for a better election.

Best of luck to you, thunder_chunky. :smile:
Original post by miser
Ah, fantastic! Couldn't have hoped for a better election.

Best of luck to you, thunder_chunky. :smile:

Likewise. Best of luck to you too! :yy:
Two very good candidates. I wish you both the best of luck. :yy:
Woah, excellent candidacy, this is going to be a very hard decision indeed. Question for both of you, how will you personally seek to increase the activity of the Security Council and ensure it leads the way in the MUN?
Reply 7
As a former UK rep, I would like to know how you plan to offer a constructive input towards the Security Council and what leadership direction you will take?
Reply 8
Ah now this should be interesting... whomever shall win had best take care of my former baby :tongue:
Reply 9
Original post by Cheese_Monster
Woah, excellent candidacy, this is going to be a very hard decision indeed. Question for both of you, how will you personally seek to increase the activity of the Security Council and ensure it leads the way in the MUN?

I think the Security Council sets an example to the rest of the nations in several ways, so I think it's the responsibility of those elected to be active and provide a model of what makes a good MUN participant. The things that I most readily associate with this are encouraging debate, debating diplomatically, and assuming a direct responsibility for helping to better the MUN.

Specifically, I would like to try to contribute ideas for future improvements and support those suggested by others, and engage other nations in debate directly (including the other members of the SC) in order to do my part in providing MUN members with discussion to reply to. I will also help to contribute news items, especially those affecting the UK.

Original post by Kiss
As a former UK rep, I would like to know how you plan to offer a constructive input towards the Security Council and what leadership direction you will take?

I'm sure my own personality would influence the way I'd play the UK. My leadership style tends to be inclusive: I like people to be involved. This is a community game, and I want to see it continue and be enjoyed. I also try to avoid bringing too much of an ego into discussions - I argue for what seems right to me (or in this case what I believe would be representative of the UK), and rarely get frustrated with people. I think that would be something that would help me promote that inclusivity. Part of what appeals to me about the MUN is that you can argue for something completely separate to what you actually believe, so it ought to be completely detached from one's ego anyway.

In terms of offering constructive input, I'd note that there's little point in offering any input if it's not constructive, but I do care about the MUN, so the inputs that I would try to make will I hope be helpful.
Original post by Cheese_Monster

Original post by Kiss

Well I think first and foremost the role of increasing the activity of the SC is ultimately down to the SG however I think the SC members do play a reasonable part in it. As representative for the United Kingdom I would encourage a great deal more resolutions and activity from all of the security council as well as perhaps seeing if a voting record is possible. That way we can try and keep tabs on who votes and how often.
I would also encourage and look for ways for there to be more of a community and more discussion within the security council community to ensure better activity.
I certainly would welcome idea's about a great responsibility for the security council, I have long maintained that they should be the standard bearers for the MUN as a whole, leading the way in activity and debate.
Perhaps even active chats and discussions every so often in the SC subforum whether it's an internal topical debate or about how to improve the MUN as a whole.
Reply 11
Good luck, tough decision.

My question is your thoughts on the European issue including the foreign policy competences audit which was recently published?

Audit is here
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Voting has now begun.This will last for 5 days!

miser
QFA

thunder_chunky
QFA

Good luck!
Two brilliant candidates. Good luck both of you.
Reply 14
It was a hard decision, as I think you are both good candidates.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
I will await for the response to my question by both before I vote
Reply 16
Thanks everyone. I look forward to seeing the outcome.

Original post by Morgsie

My question is your thoughts on the European issue including the foreign policy competences audit which was recently published?

Audit is here

Hey Morgsie

I can't access the file you've linked - it gives me a 404.
Original post by Morgsie

Audit is here

I'm not really sure how the European Issue including, well whatever you just wrote, is relevant. The UK rep basically tows the line of the UK and it's government perhaps deviating in times of hypotheticals. How does our individual beliefs on such things matter when it comes to this UK rep election?
Best of luck to my opponent.
One more question before I decide to vote. What differentiates you from your opponent? What can you specifically offer that your opponent cannot?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending