plagiarism checker for personal statement

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
tgwktm
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
does any one know of a free reliable plagiarism checker that I could use for my personal statement?
Miracle Day
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
Yes.

Just ask yourself "Did I copy someone else?"
Dropafly
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Is one similar sentence from another personal statement enough for the plagiarism checker to pick up?
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Dropafly)
Is one similar sentence from another personal statement enough for the plagiarism checker to pick up?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...sentences.html
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Can't believe 'For as long as I can remember I have been interested in .' has only been used 166 times. I feel as if I read it more than that myself last week when UCAS season kicked off at work. I suppose the fact that I crossed it out every time means that I'm making my own small contribution to making the UCAS world a better place.
nulli tertius
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by carnationlilyrose)
Can't believe 'For as long as I can remember I have been interested in .' has only been used 166 times. I feel as if I read it more than that myself last week when UCAS season kicked off at work. I suppose the fact that I crossed it out every time means that I'm making my own small contribution to making the UCAS world a better place.
60 years ago you might have been teaching debs how to behave: "now curtsey to the cake", "don't remove your gloves to eat", "don't speak to the boy until you are introduced".

Now you are teaching an equally arcane unwritten ritual. In the real world saying that you have been interested in something as long as you remember is a perfectly rational and normal thing to say. Only on Planet UCAS does it appear to be like something out of a Bateman cartoon: "The Man Who Asked for a Serviette". It is unreasonable to expect 17 year olds to have or feign a burning interest in an academic subject as a condition of entry to what is now a normal part of young adulthood. We don't expect young drivers to be Jeremy Clarkson in training.

If I had been asked to say why I chose law at Oxford and answered honestly, I would have said that I couldn't make head nor tail of the Cambridge prospectus; I had gone off geography due to poor teaching; I didn't have enough maths to read the subject and economics was combined with philosophy in which I had no interest. I didn't have the Greek to read theology and so what was left other than law?
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I am doing my bit towards more picturesque speech, as The Reader's Digest used to call it.
Dropafly
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by carnationlilyrose)
I'm not using or copying any clichés in my personal statement but when does a plagiarism checker actually pick up things? When you have a couple of similar sentences or when you have one identical sentence?
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I'm not using or copying any clichés in my personal statement but when does a plagiarism checker actually pick up things? When you have a couple of similar sentences or when you have one identical sentence?
It reports a percentage of similarities, I believe. How it does it, I don't know, software not being my speciality. The percentage is reported to the universities applied to, and it's up to them what they do with the information. A low percentage will most likely be ignored, but I don't know how low the bar is and it'll vary for all courses and universities.
Superoms
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
What if we use writing from websites not personal statements is that still gonna be picked up by ucas
SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Superoms)
What if we use writing from websites not personal statements is that still gonna be picked up by ucas
Anything that comes up in a google search will be picked up by UCAS, and you shouldn't copy anything directly from anywhere.
Dropafly
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by SlowlorisIncognito)
Anything that comes up in a google search will be picked up by UCAS, and you shouldn't copy anything directly from anywhere.
So would the plagiarism checker pick it up still even of you copied but it wasn't from a personal statement?
nulli tertius
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
So would the plagiarism checker pick it up still even of you copied but it wasn't from a personal statement?
What part of "Anything that comes up in a google search" are you struggling with?

Do you understand the concept of anything?

Do you know what Google is?

Do you understand the process of searching on Google?
benplumley
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
What part of "Anything that comes up in a google search" are you struggling with?

Do you understand the concept of anything?

Do you know what Google is?

Do you understand the process of searching on Google?
This is almost definitely not true (UCAS would need servers at least as big as Google's if they were to index every single webpage that Google has indexed, as would be necessary for them to check statements against "anything that comes up in a Google search") but damn, I like your style.

@Dropafly: It is far, far easier to just not plagiarise in the first place than to worry about whether it will be picked up. It's writing, it's not like they've asked you to think of a completely new colour.

EDIT: As regards my first point, if you have copied it directly from a website that offers good examples of personal statements, it will be picked up. I just meant if what you've written also appears in some bizarre unvisited corner of the internet, UCAS won't have indexed it.
Dropafly
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by benplumley)
This is almost definitely not true (UCAS would need servers at least as big as Google's if they were to index every single webpage that Google has indexed, as would be necessary for them to check statements against "anything that comes up in a Google search") but damn, I like your style.

@Dropafly: It is far, far easier to just not plagiarise in the first place than to worry about whether it will be picked up. It's writing, it's not like they've asked you to think of a completely new colour.

EDIT: As regards my first point, if you have copied it directly from a website that offers good examples of personal statements, it will be picked up. I just meant if what you've written also appears in some bizarre unvisited corner of the internet, UCAS won't have indexed it.
Thanks, I could tell NHL Tourette's was trolling.
nulli tertius
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by benplumley)
Not at all.

The UCAS Copycatch software uses a database of all real personal statements over the last few years, now several million, plus all the samples UCAS can find out about.

What that means is that you will be detected if you plagiarise anything that someone else has plagiarised before. The beauty of this so far as UCAS is concerned is they don't have to search Google, the candidates have done it for them.
Steve_SACU
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
That is correct - however UCAS only runs their services on a small sun/oracle server and do not have enough CPU power to check against more than the current year plus maybe one or two previous years. (How do I know - I worked at UCAS for 22 years and created UCAS' similarity detection service - http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2007/s...ighereducation)

Steve
adamenko
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I use Turn It In to check all my academic work- It might cost you something but it gives a pretty detailed plagiarism check.

www.turnitin.com
libertus
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Hi guys, i recently used 'Grammarly' to check my PS for grammar mistakes. The site seems legit but i feel kinda paranoid now cuz i keep on thinking the site saved my PS, and that UCAS might flag my statement as plagiarism. I feel so lost now, any advice guys? should i rewrite my PS? (
ddrahnak
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by libertus)
Hi guys, i recently used 'Grammarly' to check my PS for grammar mistakes. The site seems legit but i feel kinda paranoid now cuz i keep on thinking the site saved my PS, and that UCAS might flag my statement as plagiarism. I feel so lost now, any advice guys? should i rewrite my PS? (
Personally, I would not worry at all. I doubt they will flag it, and if, you will be told by UCAS that it was flagged and then you can explain your situation.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Sociology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (21)
22.34%
The paper was reasonable (42)
44.68%
Not feeling great about that exam... (21)
22.34%
It was TERRIBLE (10)
10.64%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed