The Student Room Group

Alternative routes into Medicine

Hi, i have always wanted to go into medicine and am prepared to do any alternative routes. I thought i would be eligible to do foundation medicine but it turns out my schools results are a few percentage higher :frown: so i was thinking of doing a science degree and then going into medicine with that but was wondering if anyone has advice or has done this route. Also if i do choose this route would i sit the UKCAT now or the year i apply to go into medicine which would be after the degree?

Thank you x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you're not academic enough to go down the traditional route, is attempting another route not just delaying the inevitable rejection? Take it from someone who knows.. and tried..
Reply 2
No i don't think so at all its my choice, was just wanting advice about the UKCAT and when i should do it and if anyone has done it this way
Reply 3
Original post by AliKhan96
No i don't think so at all its my choice, was just wanting advice about the UKCAT and when i should do it and if anyone has done it this way

Lots of people have done, I wouldn't unless its the only remaining option. Will anywhere still consider you after resits?

The UKCAT is only valid for the year you apply, if you have spare years before then have a practice run at preparation and sitting it.
Reply 4
Original post by 345rty
Lots of people have done, I wouldn't unless its the only remaining option. Will anywhere still consider you after resits?

The UKCAT is only valid for the year you apply, if you have spare years before then have a practice run at preparation and sitting it.

Why wouldn't you out of interest? . Oh okay thank you so i can have more than 1 attempt?
Reply 5
It works out very expensive, you won't get a loan to cover much of the second degree.

You can (and must) sit the UKCAT every year in which you plan to apply for somewhere that requires it. If you think you might apply in October to such an institution you must sit. If you sit and then don't apply that is fine.
Hey, Out of interest you in 5th year :s-smilie: Cause I'm waiting for my results and hopefully I've done enough to gain applicability for foundation med in UNI. But, I always fear that I wouldn't so I've done a bit of search and there is a few routes like BioMedicine, Sports Medicine, BioChemistry :s-smilie: that's all I know so far
Reply 7
so say if i was to do the UKCAT this summer as i've booked it but turns out im going to do the science degree can i kep my score for the year i apply to medicine?

I've just finished year 12 ah so lucky my schools results are above 60 percent and yeah just looking at degrees until results day :/
Reply 8
so say if i was to do the UKCAT this summer as i've booked it but turns out im going to do the science degree can i kep my score for the year i apply to medicine?

I've just finished year 12 ah so lucky my schools results are above 60 percent and yeah just looking at degrees until results day :/

No, you have to sit each year that you plan to apply for a medical school that requires it.

But you do get a practice run doing it this summer.
Reply 9
Oh okay i'll wait till results day to see if not ill cancel it. Out of interest are you studying medicine ?
Alternative routes would be completing a degree in biomedical science and them applying for medicine
Reply 11
Why wouldn't you out of interest? . Oh okay thank you so i can have more than 1 attempt?

Graduate applications are much more competitive and it is therefore much harder to get into.
Hi, i have always wanted to go into medicine and am prepared to do any alternative routes. I thought i would be eligible to do foundation medicine but it turns out my schools results are a few percentage higher :frown: so i was thinking of doing a science degree and then going into medicine with that but was wondering if anyone has advice or has done this route. Also if i do choose this route would i sit the UKCAT now or the year i apply to go into medicine which would be after the degree?

Thank you x

Have you looked into other foundation courses? Not all of them require you to go to a poorly performing school. Looking into Kings EDMP, A2Leeds, Southampton BM6 course that I did. There are loads of choices.

What A Levels have you done? For example if you have bio/chem then BM6 requires grades BBC and then you do one year and then start the 5 year medicine course. :biggrin:

DO NOT GIVE UP if medicine is really what you want.

You do the UKCAT the summer before you apply to medicine.

Original post by dundeemedic
Alternative routes would be completing a degree in biomedical science and them applying for medicine

You can do your degree in anything :wink: A lot of English students seem to do well in GEM!

Original post by HCubed
Graduate applications are much more competitive and it is therefore much harder to get into.

Very true, but someone has to get in :wink:
Reply 13
Aww you seem really nice! But I checked it out and I still don't fit the criteria ahh! And I took bio chem psych and hist !
Aww you seem really nice! But I checked it out and I still don't fit the criteria ahh! And I took bio chem psych and hist !

Okay, ermm.... Nottingham do one? Oh and UEA... ermmm..... Otherwise graduate entry is another option.
Reply 15
What would that entail, do a degree then apply for medicine ?
What would that entail, do a degree then apply for medicine ?

Yep. Any degree you like. Get a 2:1, and apply for either 5 year courses (which have lower entry req. for graduates) or for 4 year course that are only for graduates.
Reply 17
Okay thank you also tomorrow is one month till I take the ukcat is that enoguh time to revise and do you have any tips?
Okay thank you also tomorrow is one month till I take the ukcat is that enoguh time to revise and do you have any tips?

Are you applying this year then? As you only do the UKCAT the year you apply.

There are lots of thread on TSR about the ukcat:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2338356
Reply 19
Ok thank you lool one last question I haven't done maths for a year now and will start brushing up but what are the key areas as they say brush up but I don't know what to brush up on ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending