Best London Universities for Graphic Design/ Illustration?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Pinkyluva08
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hello everyone

Basically just what the title said. I'm about to start my foundation in art and design at DMU but I really want to study illustration/graphics in London. I'm leaving 3 spaces on my UCAS form for London unis and I'm having trouble trying to whittle them down. Right now i'm thinking of these bad boys:

University of Westminster
University of East London
Kingston University
London College of Communication (UAL)
Camberwell College of Arts (UAL)
Middlesex University

I'm not basing my choices purely on the course but accommodation, the student union ( I love sports) and facilities available are important too. If you have any other suggestions they will be gladly received.

Thanks,

Ayesha x
Marshimekllow
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've heard that you're only allowed to apply to one UAL university and if you want to do Graphic Design or Illustration, you have to do a FdA in ARt and Design, other wise they don't consider taking you in.:/ I was so gutted when I heard that and that went form my top choice to my bottom, since I don't want to be doing a FdA. If it helps, my chosen universities are...
Falmouth (BA Illustration)
Brighton (BA Illustration)
UAL (Central Saint Martins FdA)
Loughborough (BA Illustration)

I still got to pick 3 more choices but I can't decide where to go...
Valdo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Marshimekllow)
I've heard that you're only allowed to apply to one UAL university and if you want to do Graphic Design or Illustration, you have to do a FdA in ARt and Design, other wise they don't consider taking you in.:/ I was so gutted when I heard that and that went form my top choice to my bottom, since I don't want to be doing a FdA. If it helps, my chosen universities are...
Falmouth (BA Illustration)
Brighton (BA Illustration)
UAL (Central Saint Martins FdA)
Loughborough (BA Illustration)

I still got to pick 3 more choices but I can't decide where to go...
I am not so sure if you're only able to apply to one UAL university, but you definitely don't have to do a FdA in art and design to get in.
Emily French
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi there,

I work at Chelsea College of Art (part of UAL) and I just want to let you know that you can apply for more than one UAL Undergraduate course.

You are however only allowed to apply for one UAL Foundation Diploma Course.

For our BA courses you do not necessarily need to have done a Foundation Diploma.

We accept students from any of the following routes:

• BTEC Extended Level 3 Diploma

OR
  • Foundation Diploma in Art & Design

OR
  • In exceptional circumstances straight from A Level (your portfolio would need to be of equivalent standard to someone who had completed BTEC or Foundation)

You can find full and specific entry requirements for each courses on the course page on the website www.arts.ac.uk
Pinkyluva08
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Thanks everyone
LiaButler
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Directed at: Emily French

I've applied for a place on the Graphic Communication course at Chelsea, and am so undecided on the idea of a London uni. Obviously with it being in the city it has a lot more opportunity and is a lot more exciting than other places, but considering the cost I just want to know if its worth it? Any advice?

Thankyou!
Peco
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I had a tour at LCC yesterday and the facilities are second to none for Graphic Design, I've never seen so much printing equipment in my life.
honeymoontea
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do any of you know if it’s compulsory to have studied foundation to apply for graphic and media design at UAL? Because I know for graphic deign you don’t have to but it seemed for this the requirements are more specific as it is a sub genre of graphic design.

I’m going to apply for backup of 4 foundation courses in case I don’t get into the 4 unis coming straight out of alevels to see if I’m good enough.
Do you think 4 unis is enough to apply for because I technically don’t know if I should apply to anymore as that would be so many interviews including the foundation ones later on in the year.

Thanks to anyone who responds
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by honeymoontea)
Do any of you know if it’s compulsory to have studied foundation to apply for graphic and media design at UAL? Because I know for graphic deign you don’t have to but it seemed for this the requirements are more specific as it is a sub genre of graphic design.

I’m going to apply for backup of 4 foundation courses in case I don’t get into the 4 unis coming straight out of alevels to see if I’m good enough.
Do you think 4 unis is enough to apply for because I technically don’t know if I should apply to anymore as that would be so many interviews including the foundation ones later on in the year.

Thanks to anyone who responds
I don’t think it’s compulsory for any UAL courses but applicants will be competing against other applicants who have completed foundation so many of the people applying will have that extra years experience and portfolio building time.
honeymoontea
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes that’s exactly what I am thinking too

Thank you !
honeymoontea
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How likely do you think it’s getting into graphic design courses without having completed a foundation course straight after alevels (but with a strong portfolio )
Let me know your thoughts
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How likely do you think it’s getting into graphic design courses without having completed a foundation course straight after alevels (but with a strong portfolio )
Let me know your thoughts
In 2018 around 38% of UK entrants to design degrees were age 18 or under (across all universities), 45% were 19 or 20. In London universities it was 24% 18 or under and 53% 19 or 20.

While not everyone age 19 or 20 will have done a foundation diploma it's very likely that that is what they've been doing since completing A levels at 18.

Basically don't get downhearted if you're rejected for direct entry onto a BA - it's likely that the reason is "not quite ready" rather than "not good enough".
honeymoontea
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks that really helps a lot

I’m applying for both, whatever happens happens for me ig
I won’t be mad having to do foundation so it’s okay👍🏼
University of the Arts London
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks that really helps a lot

I’m applying for both, whatever happens happens for me ig
I won’t be mad having to do foundation so it’s okay👍🏼
Hi honeymoontea,

Sounds like you've had some good advice already. Just thought I'd jump in though to say that for BA (Hons) Graphic and Media Design, they often take students directly from A levels, however you're making a good decision to apply to both this degree and foundation courses. We have a webinar coming up on 16 December that you might find helpful called 'Perfecting your creative undergraduate application'. I'd also recommend visiting on of the Open Days online for LCC where you can find out even more about that course.

Good luck with your applications!

Sian
UK Student Recruitment Team
honeymoontea
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by University of the Arts London)
Hi honeymoontea,

Sounds like you've had some good advice already. Just thought I'd jump in though to say that for BA (Hons) Graphic and Media Design, they often take students directly from A levels, however you're making a good decision to apply to both this degree and foundation courses. We have a webinar coming up on 16 December that you might find helpful called 'Perfecting your creative undergraduate application'. I'd also recommend visiting on of the Open Days online for LCC where you can find out even more about that course.

Good luck with your applications!

Sian
UK Student Recruitment Team
Thanks so much! I’m glad to hear that some from Alevels can get in sometimes, so I’ll keep that in mind.

Additionally do you have any other advice on the portfolios for graphic design / graphic and media design at UAL
As I haven’t had the chance to study graphics for a level, (but am doing Alevel fine art and photography )
Is there anything they might want to see more to show I really want to study their course?

Would it be good to see illustrations and such?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (20)
13.33%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (41)
27.33%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (62)
41.33%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (23)
15.33%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
2.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed