s_libra
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi guys,

I've been looking through this forum and have found quite a few posts and threads on primary PGCE's, but nothing on secondary.

I was wondering if anyone has done an interview for secondary PGCE and what it was like?

I myself will be applying for Mathematics, I have to make a Year 7 lesson plan which I'm fine with. My main issue is the questioning in subject knowledge, what does that exactly mean, do I have to brush up on my alevel stuff? It's not that I don't know it, just that I need to go over some things. Will they be giving an alevel paper to sit? My friend did her PGCE in chemistry last year at Kingston and at her interview she was given a paper out of the blue. So should I brush up on everything?

This is my first interview ever, so I'm pretty worried. Also do they have a group discussion like most unis do?

Any other tips of what to read, I haven't read up on any current education articles so I'll be doing that over the next few days aswell.

Thank-you in advance!
hispanics_maniac
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi

I have been accepted and will be starting a Secondary PGCE in Kingston this September, however, I'm focusing on Modern Languages. The main structure of the Secondary PGCE interview is to check you have the right qualifications or that you're expected to get the right ones, also they WILL indeed test you on your knowledge of he subject, this will probably come in the form of a test (or in my case, a grammar test and a spoken test) I would say revise all the basics, it will not be something super hard, however, those tests are designed to test your knowledge and for you to show the staff at Kingston that you're well aware of your subject area. I hope this helps and good luck with your interview process
nazzu
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,I have got interview coming up in university of east london and I have to draw a lesson plan for year 7. Can you please help or share what did you do and what sort of questions you got on lesson plan.
A+B+C
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I can't speak from personal experience but I can give you an anecdote: I met two guys in the Underground bar (UEL's own bar) they were in their mid/late 30s and they'd decided to quit their teaching course a PGCE because the way it was taught was rubbish and there was no support. They were doing computer science though.
University of East London
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nazzu)
Hi,I have got interview coming up in university of east london and I have to draw a lesson plan for year 7. Can you please help or share what did you do and what sort of questions you got on lesson plan.
Hi Nazzu,

I've spoken to one of the lecturers and their advice is:

"Engage with subject National Curriculum documentation to decide the content focus; Research lesson plan templates and they can decide the structure they wish to go for; Produce supporting resource if possible.

There are no rights and wrongs – we are looking at initial ideas and thoughts. They need to be able to talk us through these ideas and the learning they are planning for. I would expect it created digitally though and they should bring hard copies to the interview."

Hope this helps!
nazzu
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks for your reply.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East London
    Undergraduate Open Evening Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19
    Postgraduate Open Evening - Stratford Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 4 Dec '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (25)
67.57%
No I haven't decided yet (6)
16.22%
Yes but I might change my mind (6)
16.22%

Watched Threads