Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ive just done my AS levels, and arent too sure what they're going to come out like. The best i can see is AAAAC and the worse ABBCE (physics and critical thinking doing the fluctuating). My strong points (at least thats what i think) are economics, literature and maths. Im interested in doing an economics related degree. Naturally - Cambridge comes to mind (and also LSE), but im not sure what the requirements will be. i.e. whats this stuff about getting unconditional acceptance? What sort of grades am i expected to have at AS level - as well as A2? If, i do end up with the ABBCE, is it still possible for me to get a place - provided i improve drastically - in either cambridge or LSE? Thanks in advance, for the advise.

ReputationRep:
    You'll be made an unconditional offer if you apply post-qualification, i.e. after you have gotten the grades. You won't receive one if you're applying in your A2 year based on your predicted grades. None of us can tell you what grades you are expected to achieve at AS or A2 level obviously - only you and your teacher can work that out for yourselves. With ABBCE, you will not receive an offer from LSE/Cambridge/UCL/Bristol/<insert any top university>. You could try for Bristol at the upper range but have some 'safety' universities like LMU or something (i'm exaggerating, but you get the idea).

ReputationRep:
    BSc Economics...at LSE...

http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/under...omics/L101.htm

BSc Economics with Economic History...at LSE...

http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/under...omics/L1V3.htm

BSc Econometrics and Mathematical Economics...at LSE...

http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/under...omics/L140.htm

Hope that helps mate!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GεεRTHAN)
    BSc Economics...at LSE...

http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/under...omics/L101.htm

BSc Economics with Economic History...at LSE...

http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/under...omics/L1V3.htm

BSc Econometrics and Mathematical Economics...at LSE...

http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/under...omics/L140.htm

Hope that helps mate!

To be blatantly frank, he's not going to get into any of those courses with ABBCE at 'A' level, especially considering the fact that LSE doesn't have much to look at when determining the suitability of an applicant other than his academic record (and whatever he included in his PS/reference), unlike Oxbridge which can interview or schedule their own written tests.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knogle)
    To be blatantly frank, he's not going to get into any of those courses with ABBCE at 'A' level, especially considering the fact that LSE doesn't have much to look at when determining the suitability of an applicant other than his academic record (and whatever he included in his PS/reference), unlike Oxbridge which can interview or schedule their own written tests.
    Didn't he mean ABBCE at AS-Level...?

ReputationRep:
    Didn't he mean ABBCE at AS-Level...?
    Hmmm quite possibly, yes. Still, it isn't the best of records. And his predicted grades would then play a very important role.. depends on how his tutors predict grades.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm quite possibly, yes. Still, it isn't the best of records. And his predicted grades would then play a very important role.. depends on how his tutors predict grades.
    If he gets ABBCE at AS-Level...and carries on doing the subjects he got ABB for...then I am sure he has a good chance of getting AAA (whether its with or without retakes)...

And I am sure his teacher would predict him ABB+ for A2...hopefully AAA...

ReputationRep:
    top ten uni's, depends on predicted grades and personal statement. i didnt put my actual as grades on my app (AABCD) but i am predicted AAAA and am working hard to achieve them. i got into lse......

ReputationRep:
    If he gets ABBCE at AS-Level...and carries on doing the subjects he got ABB for...then I am sure he has a good chance of getting AAA (whether its with or without retakes)...

And I am sure his teacher would predict him ABB+ for A2...hopefully AAA...

We'll have to see what he says about that.

To the OP: What are you predicted grades?

ReputationRep:
    We'll have to see what he says about that.

To the OP: What are you predicted grades?
    Basically, at AS level, i was predicted 2 A's (Economics and English Lit) and 2 B's (Physics and Maths). Rather bizzarely though, i got A*'s in both physics Physics and and maths, last year in GCSE :confused:. They used some sort of alice data to calculate predicted grades, so i guess ive been predicted AABB (+ the B in critical thinking).

On another note, i've heard stories of some students applying to oxbridge / LSE with B's, explaining their results (and informing them of resit), and then getting a place based on the resits they get. It's these sort of success stories that confuse me the most with university stuff.

If you put all your grades as pending and resit modules that you got low marks on you should be able to at least bring the B's to A's, with your C + E if you worked hard enough you should be able to go up a few grades. The only universities that will know you have done it is Oxbridge and your teacher may predict you AAA or whatever if you are resitting.

ReputationRep:
    I have a similar problem... I want to get into a top uni but the way my exams went, I can't see myself meeting my predictions (AAAAB). I don't think I did terribly badly but I'm probably looking at getting ABBBB rather than AAAAB!

ReputationRep:
    make sure you work hard next year then slackers !!!! :P

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.