The Student Room Group

If you had to take up a completely new sport what sport would you choose?

I'm asking this because I feel people (especially people under 18) are taught the same sports throughout their school life and further life such as football, athletics, rugby, cricket, swimming, tennis, basketball, rounders. People sometimes find they don't like these sports but there are still loads of sports out there that may not be so mainstream which they may enjoy. Some less mainstream sports I have done which I really enjoyed are Dragon Boat Racing, Muay Thai, Boxing, Handball and Aussie Rules.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by hamburgerandbeans

I'm asking this because I feel people (especially people under 18) are taught the same sports throughout their school life and further life such as football, athletics, rugby, cricket, swimming, tennis, basketball, rounders. People sometimes find they don't like these sports but there are still loads of sports out there that may not be so mainstream which they may enjoy. Some less mainstream sports I have done which I really enjoyed are Dragon Boat Racing, Muay Thai, Boxing, Handball and Aussie Rules.

Mixed beach volleyball? :sexface:

But in all seriousness, maybe something different like climbing . . .
(edited 10 years ago)
I play lots of football so the new sport I'd pick would either be Ice Hockey or some form of fighting type sport so it's completely different :h:
Reply 3
Rowing
Reply 4
Gaelic football. It looks like all the best bits of football and rugby.
Reply 5
F1 :biggrin: :biggrin: does that count? or does it come only under 'motosport'?
Reply 6
Only really liked playing Rugby Union at school. Football was okay, I was just terrible though :lol: If I had to take up a new sport it would probably be something like boxing or hiking (not strictly a sport, I know)
Reply 7
I just started a new sport last week, tennis. Instead of thinking about what new sport youd like to take up why not just do it?
I want to play Sepak Takraw, it's like volleyball but you use your feet instead, very acrobatic and looks like a lot of fun... but it's from some distant eastern country and not popular in the UK
Bukkake
Reply 10
Probably something like boxing or a martial art. I would have loved to have learnt a martial art at university like krav maga or muai thai, but just didn't have the time. Wish I could some kayaking/canoeing too. Used to love doing it as part of cadets/scouts when I was younger, especially the white water stuff.
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
I want to play Sepak Takraw, it's like volleyball but you use your feet instead, very acrobatic and looks like a lot of fun... but it's from some distant eastern country and not popular in the UK

Yeah I have played it in Asia. It's really good but only when you can do it at a high level. And it actually comes really useful in football matches. I remember playing football at the beach and this Asian guy would always naturally do an insane move in normal football when the ball is roughly head height because he is so used to Sepak Takraw. He also does Muay Thai and says that both the sports compensate each other as they can involve getting your legs high quickly.
Original post by ChronicIronic
Bukkake

Lmao repping you purely because that word sounds hilarious (and yes i know what it means)
Reply 13
rowing
Reply 14
Wheelchair rugby anyone?
skiing/snowboarding or boxing
Reply 16
probably either; Tennis, Squash, Handball or Ultimate Frisbee
I'd love to have a go at roller derby but I can't skate.
Reply 18
Pole vault.
boxing - i'd like to be able to defend myself without making funny noises

Quick Reply

Latest