The Student Room Group

Foreign medical student applying to UK; advice please

Hello, everyone!
This is my first post on this forum and I would appreciate it if anyone could advise me. I tried searching the forum, but failed to find anything useful regarding this issue.

To make it short, I am an EU applicant (eastern EU) who had applied to UK medical schools a few years ago. Lacking information, I applied only to BMAT schools without preparing for test at all and, obviously, was never offered a place.
Then I got an offer from one of the medical schools in my home country. I do fulfill the requirements for most of the schools (AAA + volunteer/research experience + at the moment - medical school). Not long after I started the course I faced the standard Eastern European problem - school corruption. Exams are written and oral. And it very often works in a way - you pass the written, you fail the oral. (And so on until you bribe the professor, which I refuse to do). Not so long ago there have been police investigations at school, which was also quite a distraction. I don't know if I will even manage to pass the year (again... refusing to pay for exams, passing written exams, failing orals).

After a lot of hard work and disappointment at such school, I'm considering applying elsewhere.

I contacted a few British universities. Some (Edinburgh) have said they "might" consider me depending on my personal statement. Some said "no" (Bristol, KCL).

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any more schools that might be willing to consider my application (I do fulfill the general requirements)?
Are there any decent alternatives (other medical schools abroad) which offer good medical education and would consider me? (Ireland? Elsewhere?)

Thank you very much in advance. Any help is appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by almostdoc
Hello, everyone!
This is my first post on this forum and I would appreciate it if anyone could advise me. I tried searching the forum, but failed to find anything useful regarding this issue.

To make it short, I am an EU applicant (eastern EU) who had applied to UK medical schools a few years ago. Lacking information, I applied only to BMAT schools without preparing for test at all and, obviously, was never offered a place.
Then I got an offer from one of the medical schools in my home country. I do fulfill the requirements for most of the schools (AAA + volunteer/research experience + at the moment - medical school). Not long after I started the course I faced the standard Eastern European problem - school corruption. Exams are written and oral. And it very often works in a way - you pass the written, you fail the oral. (And so on until you bribe the professor, which I refuse to do). Not so long ago there have been police investigations at school, which was also quite a distraction. I don't know if I will even manage to pass the year (again... refusing to pay for exams, passing written exams, failing orals).

After a lot of hard work and disappointment at such school, I'm considering applying elsewhere.

I contacted a few British universities. Some (Edinburgh) have said they "might" consider me depending on my personal statement. Some said "no" (Bristol, KCL).

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any more schools that might be willing to consider my application (I do fulfill the general requirements)?
Are there any decent alternatives (other medical schools abroad) which offer good medical education and would consider me? (Ireland? Elsewhere?)

Thank you very much in advance. Any help is appreciated.

Theres Ireland, Italy's English language programs, Australia, China's English language programs etc
Reply 2
Original post by ukmed108
Theres Ireland, Italy's English language programs, Australia, China's English language programs etc

Thank you very much for the list.
Do you by any chance know if Ireland is any more likely than England to consider people who had previously studied medicine?

Does anyone know anything about the quality of the programmes in Italy? Are they accreditted by GMC? (I don't really see myself in Italy after the degree so applying to Britain or Ireland sounds much better)

Thanks.
Reply 3
Thank you very much for the list.
Do you by any chance know if Ireland is any more likely than England to consider people who had previously studied medicine?

Does anyone know anything about the quality of the programmes in Italy? Are they accreditted by GMC? (I don't really see myself in Italy after the degree so applying to Britain or Ireland sounds much better)

Thanks.

Umm, i really don't know. You definitely aren't a normal case so you pretty much have to pave the way yourself, so ask the schools directly. I don't think Ireland is any easier than the UK for EU students for normal admissions so i'd expect similar responses. Idk if the English Italian programs are accredited by the GMC, you need to make sure. Be sure to mention that they are english language programs. I know the California board distinguishes between the normal university program and english programs. Usually the english programs aren't accredited.
Reply 4
Umm, i really don't know. You definitely aren't a normal case so you pretty much have to pave the way yourself, so ask the schools directly. I don't think Ireland is any easier than the UK for EU students for normal admissions so i'd expect similar responses. Idk if the English Italian programs are accredited by the GMC, you need to make sure. Be sure to mention that they are english language programs. I know the California board distinguishes between the normal university program and english programs. Usually the english programs aren't accredited.

Thank you and sorry for the late response.
Most schools in UK say they wouldn't consider me despite being at "good standing".
Irish schools are not the best when it comes to answering mails. I mailed all of them and got only 2 responses. One saying I'd be considered like any other applicant, one saying I wouldn't be considered (RCSI).
The English programmes in other countries (Czech, Poland) are probably not the best idea (cost vs quality), right?
Italian schools are quite new so I'm a bit suspicious about them as well.
I tried applying to Malta for transfer but they concluded that education here is not equivalent and wouldn't consider me :s-smilie:
Do you know any Europeans that studied in Australia?

Does anyone know any actual cases of people getting into decent schools after leaving another school (without failing a year or anything like that)?

Thank you very much.
Reply 5
Thank you and sorry for the late response.
Most schools in UK say they wouldn't consider me despite being at "good standing".
Irish schools are not the best when it comes to answering mails. I mailed all of them and got only 2 responses. One saying I'd be considered like any other applicant, one saying I wouldn't be considered (RCSI).
The English programmes in other countries (Czech, Poland) are probably not the best idea (cost vs quality), right?
Italian schools are quite new so I'm a bit suspicious about them as well.
I tried applying to Malta for transfer but they concluded that education here is not equivalent and wouldn't consider me :s-smilie:
Do you know any Europeans that studied in Australia?

Does anyone know any actual cases of people getting into decent schools after leaving another school (without failing a year or anything like that)?

Thank you very much.

To be honest i don't know people in your situation. Australian would likely be very expensive, as you would have to pay international fees. Not only that, but they have an oversupply of medical students and not enough intern spots, so Australian citizens get first pick. At the end of the day they will leave you high and dry and getting a post-grad training will be left to you.

I would stay in the EU if you want to practice in the UK, maybe going to Charles in Prague is a good option. A number of UK students go there. Yes, its not a UK medical school but its probably the next best option.
Reply 6
To be honest i don't know people in your situation. Australian would likely be very expensive, as you would have to pay international fees. Not only that, but they have an oversupply of medical students and not enough intern spots, so Australian citizens get first pick. At the end of the day they will leave you high and dry and getting a post-grad training will be left to you.

I would stay in the EU if you want to practice in the UK, maybe going to Charles in Prague is a good option. A number of UK students go there. Yes, its not a UK medical school but its probably the next best option.

Yeah, thank you very much for the information. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending