The Student Room Group

Do you think homosexuality is genetic?

Poll

Is Homosexuality Genetic?

What do you think?

I'm no expert in science/sexuality so I can't really say anything with confidence. However, if men and women are biologically attracted to the opposite sex (to reproduce), doesn't it seem that genes would play a role in homosexuality?

(and for the record, I am not at all against homosexuality.)

Scroll to see replies

Yes. People are only gay because their parents are gay. That's how homosexuality has lasted throughout history.
Reply 2
There's a link between birth order and homosexuality in men. Something about hormones in the womb. That's all I know.
I don't think so
Reply 4
I personally don't think it's much to do with genetics. I think it is something that is sourced by influence.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
yeah gay parents genetically pass it on to their children
As AngryStoic has implied - it's kind of contradictory to say homosexuality is genetic. Do gay people have more gay relatives on average?
Original post by Luke070
I personally don't think it's much to do with genetics. I think it is something that is sourced by influenced.

So how is it that two brothers can grow up in the same family, with the same influence and so on but one be gay and the other straight?
Original post by The Angry Stoic
Yes. People are only gay because their parents are gay. That's how homosexuality has lasted throughout history.

You mean a recessive gene?
I'm of the opinion that it's a combination of genes and environmental factors

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Olenna Tyrell
So how is it that two brothers can grow up in the same family, with the same influence and so on but one be gay and the other straight?

Perhaps he was influenced elsewhere (friends for example) - that's just my opinion.
Yes, I think it probably is a genetic trait, same way as people who are straight are wired to fancy the opposite sex. Although I think there are probably environmental/nurture elements to it too that determine "how" gay or straight you are.
Original post by Luke070
Perhaps they were influenced elsewhere (friends for example) - that's just my opinion.

Out of interest, what factors do you think influence people to be gay?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
I think it's evolutionarily advantageous for people to be attracted to members of their own sex.
Attractive guys tend to group together - and although it doesn't mean they're gay - they tend to appeal more strongly as a unit to girls than they would as individuals. The same is true for girls.

I think it is genetic (to some degree). Guys who could recognise other attractive guys are probably more likely to be successful with girls due to this group theory thing.

Maybe being gay is just a significant extension of this.
I don't think it's genetic, I think more to do with the environment the child grows up in.
Original post by Olenna Tyrell
You mean a recessive gene?

Don't pick holes :colondollar:
Reply 16
To the people who are saying 'gay parents pass on homosexuality' or something like that. In a strictly biological sense, don't be ridiculous.
Original post by shadowdweller
I'm of the opinion that it's a combination of genes and environmental factors

Posted from TSR Mobile

May I ask where is your evidence for that opinion
Reply 18
I'm definitely not an expert, but it is often the case that certain genes have to be "switched on" and this happens if a gene is in a presence of another gene or because of certain environmental factors. Someone mentioned something to do with birth order, and I've heard the same thing from somewhere :tongue:

Somewhat of a source:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHDCAllQgS0
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Harrie Lyons
May I ask where is your evidence for that opinion

Since when do I need evidence for an opinion?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending