The Student Room Group

Do you think homosexuality is genetic?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Absolutely nothing to do with genetics. Does a criminal commit a crime because he has it in his genes? Nonsense.
Original post by shadowdweller
Since when do I need evidence for an opinion?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ever Since all atheists constantly tell me that I need to show evidence for God. (I don't know if you are an atheist but I'm often told by those same atheists that I'm immoral because gays can't help it, with no proof for that second claim)
Original post by OrangeTwo
Absolutely nothing to do with genetics. Does a criminal commit a crime because he has it in his genes? Nonsense.

Yes, because homosexuality is the same as crime :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
I think it's half genetic and half environmental.
Reply 24
Currently reading up on the 'Sexual Antagonism Hypothesis'. Pretty interesting. Postulates the existence of a gene, or set of genes that code for an accelerated attraction to the male sex. The genes are present in both male and female siblings. Although you may ask why this would be beneficial from an evolutionary standpoint, the female siblings would be predisposed to have an increased sexual appetite, and therefore have more children, compensating for the homosexual male sibling.

I can confirm that my sister has... quite the erm, sexual appetite :colonhash: So it adds up from my perspective.

Also, all the people saying that gay people don't usually have children, and therefore don't pass on the 'gay gene'... That's not really how things work.
Original post by Harrie Lyons
Ever Since all atheists constantly tell me that I need to show evidence for God. (I don't know if you are an atheist but I'm often told by those same atheists that I'm immoral because gays can't help it, with no proof for that second claim)

Well, I don't have any evidence to hand. I'll look into some studies

I am an atheist, yes. But I wouldnt ask anyone to prove God exists

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's most likely a complex combination of genetics, epigenetics and environment, not just one of them alone.
Reply 27
Original post by Ham22
There's a link between birth order and homosexuality in men. Something about hormones in the womb. That's all I know.

True, being the last of siblings with older brothers gives you a higher chance of being gay.
People are born with a sexuality. It is something we have no control over therefore it is biological and natural.
Original post by OrangeTwo

What a stupid analogy.
Original post by King Kebab
People are born with a sexuality. It is something we have no control over therefore it is biological and natural.

And where is your proof that people are born with it? I'd say all the proof is to the contrary
And where is your proof that people are born with it? I'd say all the proof is to the contrary

To be fair, there is very little evidence either way

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, considering two people may be brought up exactly the same way but one may be straight and one may be gay, it leads me to believe that it had absolutely nothing to do with the way people are brought up.

No, I believe it's environmental, for instance do you think zhy was born with a foot fetish?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chappers-94
No, I believe it's environmental, for instance do you think zhy was born with a foot fetish?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sexuality isn't the same as a fetish though

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know who Zhy is.
I don't know who Zhy is.

He's a creepy tsrian. Leave it at that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shadowdweller
Sexuality isn't the same as a fetish though

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you sure? Because I'm pretty sure fetishes fall under the category of sexuality.... And scientists have yet to find a gene to suggest otherwise. As I said I believe it's environmental.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you sure? Because I'm pretty sure fetishes full under the category of sexuality.... And scientists have yet to find a gene to suggest otherwise. As I said I believe it's environmental.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, possibly I guess? But what I mean was, they don't fall under sexuality in the same sense as being gay or straight etc.

I'm not saying it's not environmental, I was just questioning the example. Although I'd be interested to know what factors you think affect it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think it's most likely to be environmental as if it was genetics wouldn't homosexuals have been at an evolutionary disadvantage causing the said allele/ gene to no longer
exist. But then again usually genetics and environmental together influence a lot of characteristics/personality. As in genes set the limits but where within those limits an organism falls is largely down to it environment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending