Turn on thread page Beta

What is the greatest threat facing Britain? watch

• View Poll Results: What is the greatest threat facing Britain?
    Legislation infringing civil liberties
    14.62%
    Terrorism
    10.38%
    Growing underclass
    8.02%
    Religious fundamentalism
    9.91%
    Globalisation
    1.89%
    Xenophobia
    7.08%
    Global warming
    14.15%
    Widening gap between rich and poor
    5.66%
    Europeanism
    1.89%
    Immigration
    11.32%
    Knife crime
    7.08%
    Other
    8.02%

ReputationRep:
    Which on of the options, or others do you think is the greatest threat to Britain today and in the future?

Vote and lets discuss.

ReputationRep:
    I would say terrorism is the biggest threat in the short term.

Though other stuff is also significant, such as global warming.

ReputationRep:
    No. The infringement of our civil liberties is more dangerous than terrorism. Terrorism claims a few lives and, yes, it is tragic, but the infringement of civil liberties affects everyone.

Furthermore, I believe that current measures are counterproductive to fighting terrorism.

We've had had 'Tough on crime, tough of the causes of crime' from the New Labour guff dept., now how about tough on the causes of terrorism? The primary cause of terrorism, incidentally, is our association with America and her antics in the Middle East. Sever it.

ReputationRep:

I voted other, those little spiders that sneak in with the bananas that end up in the supermarkets are currently congregating a vast underground tunnel network, breeding and swelling their numbers further until they day comes when they will break out..... and finish of the people off britain as a whole.

ReputationRep:
    The Government taking away the peoples liberties.

It is THE biggest threat, its just the people aren't noticing.

ReputationRep:
    giant carrots with evil red eyes

ReputationRep:
    Fast-breeding chavs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Scotto)

I voted other, those little spiders that sneak in with the bananas that end up in the supermarkets are currently congregating a vast underground tunnel network, breeding and swelling their numbers further until they day comes when they will break out..... and finish of the people off britain as a whole.
    dont forget the gnat/mosqitoes that live in the underground and have mutated.....read it in new scientist monthes ago so cnt remeber the full story, lol

ReputationRep:
    Immigration.

Without immigration, the 7/7 attacks probably wouldn't have happened.

Terrorism and Religious fundamentalism are basically imports, before the 1950's the britain was basically stable in terms of religion. The influx of people of different faiths is leading to a rise of fundamentalism, and fundamentalism leads to terrorism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zakatu)
    Immigration.

Without immigration, the 7/7 attacks probably wouldn't have happened.

Terrorism and Religious fundamentalism are basically imports, before the 1950's the britain was basically stable in terms of religion. The influx of people of different faiths is leading to a rise of fundamentalism, and fundamentalism leads to terrorism.
    what about the IRA???

ReputationRep:
    I said britain, not the united kingdom.

And anyway, it is the mixture of different faiths (and ethnic divisions) that create the NI conflict. Proving my point that mixing together people with different faiths and backgrounds, whilst it doesn't necessarily lead to evil had resulted in an increased likelihood of fundamentalist cells.

For example the July the 7th attacks would not have happened if it wasn't for the multicultural experiment. I'm not saying people from different faiths CANT get along, i'm just saying that immigration is in part the foundation of some of the problems we have today. Such as terrorism.

ReputationRep:
    But didnt the IRA bomb that shopping centre in manchester and also a bomb in birmingham?? and that is in Britan which is what i was refering to.....

ReputationRep:
    Oh, fair enough. They did occur in britain. My point was that ireland (where they originate) is not britain.

my MAIN point. Was that terrorism, both 7/7 and the IRA are mostly born out of religious conflict.

If we import people from all around the world and put them in a big pot, fighting and radicalisation of a minority is an inevitable consequence imo. Those that committed the 7/7 bombings felt cut off from normal society. They turned to islam for guidance and eventually found themselves in a radical wing of islam.

Ultimately, they saw their religion (and perhaps race) as under threat and acted in the whey they thought was best. If we did not have people in this country that put religion and their old country of origin before the UK then this would not have happened.

I'm just saying that immigration is in a way responsible for a couple of the other "threats" on the original list. Thats my point. That is why i think immigration is the greater threat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sorani)
    Fast-breeding chavs?

Yes lol, and the 'NEETS' as the papers refer to them because they arent in education or anything. Way too many.... and they can be blamed for other things too :\.

ReputationRep:
    What about Tesco's? I think they are the biggest threat to Britain, along with all the other big companies, aiming to destroy fair capitalism.

ReputationRep:
    Widening gap between rich and poor. Increasing poverty is most likely to cause increased amounts of crime and other social problems for Britain.

ReputationRep:
    People over state the importance of 7/7. Sure, people died, and it was terrible, but more equally innocent people are killed every week on the roads than were done by terrorists - yet we have liberty-curbing legislation going through the roof.

I'd rather live in a free society with the knowledge I may be blown up, than in a finely cushioned cacoon guarded by Tony and SOCA.

ReputationRep:
    it's got to be wasps.

ReputationRep:
    Err why isn't aliens in this poll?

regards
    --marty

ReputationRep:
    Literacy!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.