The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by WhatDoIWrite
I completed the foundation year at the university of bradford last academic year. And I'm here to answer any questions you may have on it.

Mods I'm not sure this is the right section to put this but if it isn't just move it to wherever you feel it's right.

Hey there, congrats on completing the year! I am asking on behalf of my friend who is hoping to apply to the clinical sciences foundation year. Have you transferred over to year 1 at Leeds medical school or are you carrying on with the clinical sciences degree? :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by sumsum123
Hey there, congrats on completing the year! I am asking on behalf of my friend who is hoping to apply to the clinical sciences foundation year. Have you transferred over to year 1 at Leeds medical school or are you carrying on with the clinical sciences degree? :smile:

I made the grade for the interview. And didn't pass the interview. I then re-evaluated whether I really really wanted to do medicine and the answer was no. See this thread for more details post #5 Is there any medical students or Junior doctors not satisfied with medicine? - The Student Room

There was about 120 students at the start of the year. About 105 wanted to do medicine at leeds. It narrowed to about 80 after the first set of exams and coursework results then decreased to about 45 who actually applied and 40 got an interview for 20 places.
Reply 3
I made the grade for the interview. And didn't pass the interview. I then re-evaluated whether I really really wanted to do medicine and the answer was no. See this thread for more details post #5 Is there any medical students or Junior doctors not satisfied with medicine? - The Student Room

There was about 120 students at the start of the year. About 105 wanted to do medicine at leeds. It narrowed to about 80 after the first set of exams and coursework results then decreased to about 45 who actually applied and 40 got an interview for 20 places.

Oh I see fair enough good that you realised sooner than later! Thanks for the info. I have a few more questions :colondollar:. What is the grade that you have to meet to get an interview? Is it like a set percentage you have to get over per module or average? Is it just the fact that you passed your modules by a the set limit that determines whether you get an interview or do gcse's/Alevels results also matter? Also do you have to take the ukcat in the year you do your foundation year and submit a medicine personal statement aswell? Can you try again in year 1 of the course if you fail to get an interview in the foundation year? Thanks for being a great help :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by sumsum123
Oh I see fair enough good that you realised sooner than later! Thanks for the info. I have a few more questions :colondollar:. What is the grade that you have to meet to get an interview? Is it like a set percentage you have to get over per module or average? Is it just the fact that you passed your modules by a the set limit that determines whether you get an interview or do gcse's/Alevels results also matter? Also do you have to take the ukcat in the year you do your foundation year and submit a medicine personal statement aswell? Can you try again in year 1 of the course if you fail to get an interview in the foundation year? Thanks for being a great help :smile:

What is the grade that you have to meet to get an interview? Is it like a set percentage you have to get over per module or average?

You do 6 modules. You need 70% average across all modules and you have to have 70%+ in the chemistry module to be eligible. The type of assessment are varied you have multiple choice exams anatomy spot test essays lab reports and personal portfolio.
However this in itself does not guarantee an interview it needs to be combined with a good personal statement 70%+ average and 70%+ chem just makes you eligible for the transfer. If there are very high number of candidates they may raise the percentage to 71% or be stricter with the personal statement.

Is it just the fact that you passed your modules by a the set limit that determines whether you get an interview or do gcse's/Alevels results also matter?

GCSEs and A-Level are completely irrelevant they are not looked at in the slightest and leeds have no way of knowing what you got.

Also do you have to take the ukcat in the year you do your foundation year and submit a medicine personal statement aswell?

No you do not have to do the UKCAT if you get in though they may make you do it for statistical purposes to see how the transfer cohort results compare with traditional candidates. It's not required for the transfer though.

Can you try again in year 1 of the course if you fail to get an interview in the foundation year?

Yes you can try again in year 1 for transfer to year 2 if you don't get an interview. If you do get an interview you cannot try again for a transfer in year 1. Also it's worth taking into consideration year 1 is a lot harder than foundation year so if you cannot make the grade in foundation year will you be able to make it in year 1.
Reply 5
Hi I will be applying for this course in 2014 and would like to know how many students actually pass the foundation year, also in your opinion is the course hard or not?

Secondly I do not have any science a-levels and I am using this course as an entry route to medicine, do you think I will be able to succeed and achieve 70%? Have any students without science a-levels achieved 70% or above in all the modules?

Thanks
Reply 6
Original post by mariya101
Hi I will be applying for this course in 2014 and would like to know how many students actually pass the foundation year, also in your opinion is the course hard or not?

Secondly I do not have any science a-levels and I am using this course as an entry route to medicine, do you think I will be able to succeed and achieve 70%? Have any students without science a-levels achieved 70% or above in all the modules?

Thanks

Everyone passes the foundation year about 40 people make the transfer to medicine out of 100+. For the transfer you need to make the grades and have a strong PS (work experience and voluntary work reflection extra curricular what you learn from it the skill you've developed etc).

Yes it's possible but you will have to be prepared to put a bit more work in than the average person on the course. I think there was a mature student in the year who wanted to transfer and she didn't have science A-Levels. I'm not sure if she achieved 70%+ or not but it's not impossible. What I would do personally if I was in your situation would be to read up on organic A-Level chemistry and human biology the summer before you start. Any standard A-Level textbook should suffice. And make sure you organise at least a little work experience and are carrying out voluntary work and some extra curricular activities and reflect on them well in your PS.
Reply 7
Everyone passes the foundation year about 40 people make the transfer to medicine out of 100+. For the transfer you need to make the grades and have a strong PS (work experience and voluntary work reflection extra curricular what you learn from it the skill you've developed etc).

Yes it's possible but you will have to be prepared to put a bit more work in than the average person on the course. I think there was a mature student in the year who wanted to transfer and she didn't have science A-Levels. I'm not sure if she achieved 70%+ or not but it's not impossible. What I would do personally if I was in your situation would be to read up on organic A-Level chemistry and human biology the summer before you start. Any standard A-Level textbook should suffice. And make sure you organise at least a little work experience and are carrying out voluntary work and some extra curricular activities and reflect on them well in your PS.

Oh right thanks alot!
Are you continuing with the Clinical Science degree, if so hows that going? what kind of jobs can you get out of a clinical science degree? Thanks again!
Reply 8
Original post by mariya101
Oh right thanks alot!
Are you continuing with the Clinical Science degree, if so hows that going? what kind of jobs can you get out of a clinical science degree? Thanks again!

No I'm not continuing with the clinical sciences degree for several reasons. I'm hoping to do pharmacy now. I had an offer but had to turn it down if I wanted to do the interview at Leeds which I did and now I'm offer-less so will have to go into clearing. So I'm pretty stressed about that at the moment.

Not to sure I don't think there is much employment prospects for a clinical science graduate (one of the reasons I didn't one to carry on with the course). Some go into research but most go on to do graduate entry medicine or dentistry.
Reply 9
What is the grade that you have to meet to get an interview? Is it like a set percentage you have to get over per module or average?

You do 6 modules. You need 70% average across all modules and you have to have 70%+ in the chemistry module to be eligible. The type of assessment are varied you have multiple choice exams anatomy spot test essays lab reports and personal portfolio.
However this in itself does not guarantee an interview it needs to be combined with a good personal statement 70%+ average and 70%+ chem just makes you eligible for the transfer. If there are very high number of candidates they may raise the percentage to 71% or be stricter with the personal statement.

Is it just the fact that you passed your modules by a the set limit that determines whether you get an interview or do gcse's/Alevels results also matter?

GCSEs and A-Level are completely irrelevant they are not looked at in the slightest and leeds have no way of knowing what you got.

Also do you have to take the ukcat in the year you do your foundation year and submit a medicine personal statement aswell?

No you do not have to do the UKCAT if you get in though they may make you do it for statistical purposes to see how the transfer cohort results compare with traditional candidates. It's not required for the transfer though.

Can you try again in year 1 of the course if you fail to get an interview in the foundation year?

Yes you can try again in year 1 for transfer to year 2 if you don't get an interview. If you do get an interview you cannot try again for a transfer in year 1. Also it's worth taking into consideration year 1 is a lot harder than foundation year so if you cannot make the grade in foundation year will you be able to make it in year 1.

Thank you very much, extremely useful response!
Sorry to barge into your thread

I also done clinical sciences foundation year,so I thought I could also answer some questions.

In terms of non-science A-levels

Biology covers a lot of content,so unless you love background reading,you might find it challenging.
Chemistry is manageable because the lecturers start from the very basic stuff.
Reply 11
Hi.

Very enriching ideas posted about the Leeds transfer from people who know the course inside out, and as a person vying for the Foundation to Medicine/Clinical Sciences come September, I have couple of questions that I would like to ask those who have completed the course:

i) I read that 40 ppl were interviewed for the 20 places available for the foundation category, but do you have any idea how many of them actually sealed the transfer? I so often hear that Leeds Medical School, at its own discretion, could opt to accept less than the 20 people quota. But at least 2:1 chance of getting into medicine is quite appealing than directly applying to a medical school.
ii) The dreaded UKCAT is only used for statistical purposes as you said, but I am not sure when exactly we need to take it? Leeds medical school's website says prior to the year one will start the course (this applies also for those who will transfer from Bradford). I am a bit confused about it.
iii) How did you find the new MMI interview method compared to a traditional interview? Without getting into details, are there role plays? Do they ask academic questions just like for the foundation interview and which section did you find difficult? What do you advise prospective students to have any chance of passing the interview as that is the final hurdle?

Appreciate any help that would be thrown.
Original post by Amydala
Hi.

Very enriching ideas posted about the Leeds transfer from people who know the course inside out, and as a person vying for the Foundation to Medicine/Clinical Sciences come September, I have couple of questions that I would like to ask those who have completed the course:

i) I read that 40 ppl were interviewed for the 20 places available for the foundation category, but do you have any idea how many of them actually sealed the transfer? I so often hear that Leeds Medical School, at its own discretion, could opt to accept less than the 20 people quota. But at least 2:1 chance of getting into medicine is quite appealing than directly applying to a medical school.

Its not exactly 2:1 chances.
From what I heard from my friends so far about 80+ people got the grades to transfer.This is the nice that I think is completely do-able and in your control.I suppose if I missed the grades I would have said its hard to get the 70% average.

Then from that 80 you have to get to the last 40,and its due to personal statement,This could depend on who is reading it,but your chances are really good.

Everyone that gets through to the interview stage is going to seal the transfer if they are eligible

ii) The dreaded UKCAT is only used for statistical purposes as you said, but I am not sure when exactly we need to take it? Leeds medical school's website says prior to the year one will start the course (this applies also for those who will transfer from Bradford). I am a bit confused about it.

I got through to Leeds and so far there is no mention of the UKCAT

iii) How did you find the new MMI interview method compared to a traditional interview? Without getting into details, are there role plays? Do they ask academic questions just like for the foundation interview and which section did you find difficult? What do you advise prospective students to have any chance of passing the interview as that is the final hurdle?

The MMI was fun

I cant tell you if there where role plays.

I cant tell you about any of the sections

My foundation interview did not ask academic questions,So i wasn't expecting Leeds to.Look at it this way...
1.Leeds already knows your grades, is it worth their time assessing your academics through a station?
2.If you get to the interview stage your grades will be fairly good,so you should be able to handle the academic side with out much preparation.
3.Interviews are a discussion,so you can control where the questions go. I was lucky enough to be able to use studies in journals to back up my point at one station.

I think I can tell you to treat each station as an individual one.If you mess up it does not matter you can go onto the next one.
Interview preparation books are relevant,they will ask similar questions to those found in the

Appreciate any help that would be thrown.

i hope it helps a teeny bit
(edited 10 years ago)
I completed the foundation year at the university of bradford last academic year. And I'm here to answer any questions you may have on it.

Mods I'm not sure this is the right section to put this but if it isn't just move it to wherever you feel it's right.
Hi,what did u do for your personal statement, I mean what was it based on? I am thinking about applying to this course but also Adult Nursing is it ok for my personal statement to be based on Nursing? But shall I tell them that I want to study medicine, you may think why, but I havnt got relevant subjects to be attending medical schools so that why my personal statement isnt based on medicine? Thanks
Original post by nadzworldz
Hi,what did u do for your personal statement, I mean what was it based on? I am thinking about applying to this course but also Adult Nursing is it ok for my personal statement to be based on Nursing? But shall I tell them that I want to study medicine, you may think why, but I havnt got relevant subjects to be attending medical schools so that why my personal statement isnt based on medicine? Thanks

Yeah it will ve fine they will ask questions on whatever your PS is based on? However just in case just read up on a few medical interview questions too. ISC medical school interview questions book is very good.
Original post by Stormclouds
Sorry to barge into your thread

I also done clinical sciences foundation year,so I thought I could also answer some questions.

In terms of non-science A-levels

Biology covers a lot of content,so unless you love background reading,you might find it challenging.
Chemistry is manageable because the lecturers start from the very basic stuff.

Out of curiosity did you get in?
Yeah it will ve fine they will ask questions on whatever your PS is based on? However just in case just read up on a few medical interview questions too. ISC medical school interview questions book is very good.
Ok thanks, but my personal statement is based on Nursing does it have to be based on medicine though?
Original post by nadzworldz
Ok thanks, but my personal statement is based on Nursing does it have to be based on medicine though?

No.
Out of curiosity did you get in?

yeah I did
No.

OK Thanks :smile:, was yours based on Medicine at that time when you applied for this course? And what questions do they ask about your personal statement? Thanks
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest