Falkirk hysteria - came to nothing (of course)

Watch this thread
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
A couple of weeks ago we had a full hysteria in the press about the alleged criminal conduct of Unite in rigging the Falkirk selection process for choosing their Labour candidate. A Tory MP complained to the police and then Ed Milliband supposedly "handed it over to the police" according to Labour Party PR.

This was covered on TSR.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2398297

I said that it would go nowhere, that I doubted the police were even looking at it, that it was attempting to use the police as a political football which was wrong - others accused me of being clueless, that it was a genuine police and criminal matter, etc.

Surprise, surprise, now the dust has died down, the police have said there are insufficient grounds for an investigation.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...inquiry-police

I very much doubt the police did any investigating whatever.

It's disgusting how much froth there was in the media about this allegedly criminal matter. It's pathetic that Milliband saw the way forward being to join in with it, instead of defending the right of unions to try to be politically active and to take part in democratic processes inside the party, or, at minimum, not playing the games of right wing Tory MPs, pre-designed to be used by the Daily Mail and orchestrated by Paul Staines.

I hope Ed Milliband has learned something from this, but sadly, we are apparently doomed to have a Labour Party that is every bit as reactionary and interested in PR froth as it has been under Blair and Brown.
freedomtocreate
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
A couple of weeks ago we had a full hysteria in the press about the alleged criminal conduct of Unite in rigging the Falkirk selection process for choosing their Labour candidate. A Tory MP complained to the police and then Ed Milliband supposedly "handed it over to the police" according to Labour Party PR.

This was covered on TSR.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2398297

I said that it would go nowhere, that I doubted the police were even looking at it, that it was attempting to use the police as a political football which was wrong - others accused me of being clueless, that it was a genuine police and criminal matter, etc.

Surprise, surprise, now the dust has died down, the police have said there are insufficient grounds for an investigation.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...inquiry-police

I very much doubt the police did any investigating whatever.

It's disgusting how much froth there was in the media about this allegedly criminal matter. It's pathetic that Milliband saw the way forward being to join in with it, instead of defending the right of unions to try to be politically active and to take part in democratic processes inside the party, or, at minimum, not playing the games of right wing Tory MPs, pre-designed to be used by the Daily Mail and orchestrated by Paul Staines.

I hope Ed Milliband has learned something from this, but sadly, we are apparently doomed to have a Labour Party that is every bit as reactionary and interested in PR froth as it has been under Blair and Brown.
Due to Police cuts, the police don't have the resources and man power to investigate as well as they used to.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
(Original post by freedomtocreate)
Due to Police cuts, the police don't have the resources and man power to investigate as well as they used to.
Nah, it won't be that - a more plausible explanation is that they knew the CPS would never bring a case on it, so why bother investigating? Plus, who knows, maybe they just ever so slightly resented being used for political point scoring?
MatureStudent36
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
The only hysteria was at your end my dear.

The police investigated, did their job, found nothing and carried on as normal. On a more important pint, hopefully this will separate the unions from labour and result in us never having labour in power ever again.
username878045
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Nah, it won't be that - a more plausible explanation is that they knew the CPS would never bring a case on it, so why bother investigating? Plus, who knows, maybe they just ever so slightly resented being used for political point scoring?
They were perfectly happy with it during 'plebgate'.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
(Original post by MatureStudent36)
The only hysteria was at your end my dear.
Alas - if only that were true. You seem to have (already - admittedly it was two whole weeks ago!) forgotten the full-on media feeding frenzy over this one, the ringing denunciations of the unions involved as criminals, Tories in the media suggesting they were all going to prison, etc, etc.

Meanwhile, back in the real world.... :rolleyes:
Joeman560
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Labour are still scum, as are Unite
MatureStudent36
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Alas - if only that were true. You seem to have (already - admittedly it was two whole weeks ago!) forgotten the full-on media feeding frenzy over this one, the ringing denunciations of the unions involved as criminals, Tories in the media suggesting they were all going to prison, etc, etc.

Meanwhile, back in the real world.... :rolleyes:
Looks like its back in the media again. It would appear new evidence has been found. Quite a bit if it.

http://m.scotsman.com/news/uk/falkirk-pressure-on-labour-to-reopen-selection-inquiry-1-3160666
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
Looks like its back in the media again. It would appear new evidence has been found. Quite a bit if it.

http://m.scotsman.com/news/uk/falkirk-pressure-on-labour-to-reopen-selection-inquiry-1-3160666
We'll see. I seriously doubt that anything much will happen other than some of the usual theatrics from Tories and Labour. This whole thing was a farce, with right wing tabloids and dodgy Tory MPs and bloggers stirring on one side and a laughably submissive and media-obsessed New Labour heirarchy on the other, desperate to be appearing to do the bidding of people like Murdoch and the Mail, without actually doing anything real.
MatureStudent36
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
We'll see. I seriously doubt that anything much will happen other than some of the usual theatrics from Tories and Labour. This whole thing was a farce, with right wing tabloids and dodgy Tory MPs and bloggers stirring on one side and a laughably submissive and media-obsessed New Labour heirarchy on the other, desperate to be appearing to do the bidding of people like Murdoch and the Mail, without actually doing anything real.
Interested ing that the Unite shop steward from Grangemouth has been implicated though.
MatureStudent36
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Looks like unite are under further scrutiny.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2497291/Now-Unite-union-boss-Len-McCluskey-faces-investigation-claims-election-included-160-000-phantom-members-ballot--including-DIED.html
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
Looks like unite are under further scrutiny.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2497291/Now-Unite-union-boss-Len-McCluskey-faces-investigation-claims-election-included-160-000-phantom-members-ballot--including-DIED.html
It's just the usual Daily Mail stuff. There have been loads of stories like this in the past about union votes and those complaining rarely get anywhere with them, although Unite might need to be more worried about this guy, as he's apparently managed to force Ucatt into a re-election in the past.

One thing about unions is that despite all the blather about their alleged 'power' in the right-wing press, the reality is that they are often administratively underfunded and shambolic.
MatureStudent36
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
And it's still going on

http://m.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/reopen-probe-into-falkirk-by-election-mcleish-1-3183169
MatureStudent36
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
And there's more.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-26026023

Any comments full of surprises?
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
And there's more.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-26026023

Any comments full of surprises?
It's still a load of manufactured nonsense. Millibland dreamed it up, or rather seized on it, purely to fit his tabloid - oriented campaign to continue the Blair agenda of marginalising the unions and leaving Labour as a wholly right wing party. The people at the heart of the allegations have denied the way they have been characterised in this trumped up sham report.

Anyway, the original thread that this thread followed was about the supposed criminal police investigation, which I rightly pointed out would go precisely nowhere.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (234)
41.94%
The paper was reasonable (237)
42.47%
Not feeling great about that exam... (51)
9.14%
It was TERRIBLE (36)
6.45%

Watched Threads