Turn on thread page Beta

Designer Babies - Do you think that it is right? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing a debate in my GCSE science, so i need to come up with an argument...

I thought that the easiest way would be to make a poll on it and see other people make their points...

ReputationRep:
    If people want to design their babies who the hell is anybody to tell them they cant do it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _GáMMá_)

I thought that the easiest way would be to make a poll on it and see other people make their points...

nope cos people shouldnt be able to choose the sex of thier babies as that is really pick and choose, this sort of stuff should be left to good old mother nature lol.

ReputationRep:
    maybe...coz sumtimes people resent their children for not being wat they expected...! sumtimes if they really want a boy and they have a girl they can really dislike the child! im not sayin this is always the way but ... u get me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kokopops)
    maybe...coz sumtimes people resent their children for not being wat they expected...! sumtimes if they really want a boy and they have a girl they can really dislike the child! im not sayin this is always the way but ... u get me?

yer i get ya!!!!! lol. But people who resent their children cos they werent what they wanted are really mad and need their brains tested lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by love_4_ducks)
    yer i get ya!!!!! lol. But people who resent their children cos they werent what they wanted are really mad and need their brains tested lol.
    definately!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kokopops)
    definately!

whooo hooo i have made enough sense for someone to agree with me hee hee

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any other ideas that i could add for or against the idea???

If you do, then i would be really grateful (only have two more days on this).

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any other ideas that i could add for or against the idea???

If you do, then i would be really grateful (only have two more days on this).
    For- Eliminate diseases
    Everyone will be nearly perfect...at least genetically
    Get rid of undesirable genetic traits..../some aspects of personilties like violent tendencies

Against- Ethically wrong??-debatable
    Decrease in biodiversity allowing for possibility of one disease killing entire species (long shot i know)
    Should people be allowed to be so shallow as to choose baby's looks

Personally i'm against it.....i don't think people should be allowed to pick and choose stuff like babies' eye/ hair colour cos that's similar to hitler's proposal of creating a super-race imo.

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    For- Eliminate diseases
    Everyone will be nearly perfect...at least genetically
    Get rid of undesirable genetic traits..../some aspects of personilties like violent tendencies

Against- Ethically wrong??-debatable
    Decrease in biodiversity allowing for possibility of one disease killing entire species (long shot i know)
    Should people be allowed to be so shallow as to choose baby's looks

Personally i'm against it.....i don't think people should be allowed to pick and choose stuff like babies' eye/ hair colour cos that's similar to hitler's proposal of creating a super-race imo.

G
    #

Thanks - just what i needed...

ReputationRep:
    #

Thanks - just what i needed...
    No probs....happy to help on a topic like this.

G

ReputationRep:

i dont like the sound of designer babies..this could turn out very bad

ReputationRep:
    Btw- If you want to get a better idea of the topic of genetically designing babies....you should watch the film Gattacca....it's quite good...you might want to suggest if you can watch it in school!!!

G

ReputationRep:
    Considering all the children that are born with some kinds of defect or illness, I think designer babies are a good idea. But on a cosmetic level, I'm not so sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    Considering all the children that are born with some kinds of defect or illness, I think designer babies are a good idea. But on a cosmetic level, I'm not so sure.
    But the problem is..where is the line drawn.....many people would consider being short (like me!!!) as being a big disadvantage....maybe even a defect in terms of dwarves...but does that mean people should be genetically modified to be tall???

G

(Soz for delay...damn busy server message!!!! :mad:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    yea ofcourse the best thing is to use technology to avoid having babies with defect or illnesses, but it is obvious that everyone will exploit new technology---> designer babies is very unsustaiable imo, both in the short term and the long term. I would hate to live in a world where everyone can get designer babies

ReputationRep:
    this is good...

I can use all of this to plan it out...

ReputationRep:

How can you design something when you are just a baby?...

ReputationRep:
    Designer Babies - Do you think that it is right?
    Sure! Id love to have Prada design my child.

ReputationRep:
    dont mess wiv nature, doesnt really get us anywhere

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2004
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.