What can someone do with your bank card details?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
h4mza
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I know if someone knows your 16 digit credit card number, your name and your 3 digit security code then they can hack into it and take money out but what if they only know the name, sort code and 8 digit account number? Can they do anything with it?
Tomsta
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by h4mza)
I know if someone knows your 16 digit credit card number, your name and your 3 digit security code then they can hack into it and take money out but what if they only know the name, sort code and 8 digit account number? Can they do anything with it?
the sort code and account number are the two most valuable pieces of information they can get, and if they also have your name, they can very easily empty out said person's account, not sure how they do it, but i know that those three bits of info are the one you HAVE TO KEEP SAFE

if you think some third party has them and you don't want them to (ie you think your account or card may have been cloned) get on the phone to your bank Immediately! and tell them, they can freeze your account etc.
h4mza
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Tcrumpen)
the sort code and account number are the two most valuable pieces of information they can get, and if they also have your name, they can very easily empty out said person's account, not sure how they do it, but i know that those three bits of info are the one you HAVE TO KEEP SAFE

if you think some third party has them and you don't want them to (ie you think your account or card may have been cloned) get on the phone to your bank Immediately! and tell them, they can freeze your account etc.
Well I actually sold something and wanted them to pay bank transfer, so I gave them my account number and sort code. I've heard they can only make payment into it and nothing more. They also gave me their address where I could post the item to. Is there anything to worry about or am I safe? Many people do BT but this was my first time ever, so I'm slightly worried lol
Hustler-1337
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Tcrumpen)

That is incorrect. People give out their bank account number and sort code all the time. I'm watching some fundraising charity programme on tv right now and they've got their account number and sort code clearly disaplyed on the screen. With an a/c no and sort code, you can only make a payment to the account.
ttoby
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Hustler-1337)
That is incorrect. People give out their bank account number and sort code all the time. I'm watching some fundraising charity programme on tv right now and they've got their account number and sort code clearly disaplyed on the screen. With an a/c no and sort code, you can only make a payment to the account.
That information can be used to make a direct debit payment as well, although the address might also be required. See http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7174760.stm
CapoDiTuttiCapi
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by h4mza)
Well I actually sold something and wanted them to pay bank transfer, so I gave them my account number and sort code. I've heard they can only make payment into it and nothing more. They also gave me their address where I could post the item to. Is there anything to worry about or am I safe? Many people do BT but this was my first time ever, so I'm slightly worried lol
Can't you ask them to send the money via PayPal?
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by CapoDiTuttiCapi)
Can't you ask them to send the money via PayPal?
Paypal is less safe

Posted from TSR Mobile
CapoDiTuttiCapi
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Juno)
Paypal is less safe

Posted from TSR Mobile
How so? All they need is your email address to send you money
kumori
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Love the idiots on here lol. They can't do with much the account number and sort code. Jeremy clarkson gave his out the other year to prove it, all that happened is 1 person managed to set up a direct debit to a charity.

Also they can't really hack into your account and do anything with the front number and 3 digits. They can however order stuff online with it, so they can steal it this way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ttoby
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by kumori)
Love the idiots on here lol. They can't do with much the account number and sort code. Jeremy clarkson gave his out the other year to prove it, all that happened is 1 person managed to set up a direct debit to a charity.
If multiple people set up direct debits on my account then obviously that would be pretty bad, but surely even one person being able to do this is unacceptable as well?
advice_guru
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Card number + Security Number + Name + Expiry = Clean Out time on Amazon.com

No one can get into your account though, bank accounts are protected online by 256 bit AES. No physical commercial computer currently has the computing power to hack 256 bit AES, not saying the military don't though.
Juno
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ttoby)
If multiple people set up direct debits on my account then obviously that would be pretty bad, but surely even one person being able to do this is unacceptable as well?
Direct debit guarantee. You're guaranteed a full immediate refund.
ttoby
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Juno)
Direct debit guarantee. You're guaranteed a full immediate refund.
That gives some reassurance. But even so, it's a big inconvenience to have a sizeable chunk of money missing from the account for a short period of time - you might have needed to make a large rent payment for instance, and you'd have to take time investigating it and asking for the money back. Also as a general matter of principle, criminals should not be able to take money from my bank account at all, even if it's only for a short period of time.
tooosh
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ttoby)
That gives some reassurance. But even so, it's a big inconvenience to have a sizeable chunk of money missing from the account for a short period of time - you might have needed to make a large rent payment for instance, and you'd have to take time investigating it and asking for the money back. Also as a general matter of principle, criminals should not be able to take money from my bank account at all, even if it's only for a short period of time.
Yes but it's still safe. Much safer than fraud protection on plastic.
ilex_noemi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
With only your name, the card number and your sort code, money can only be put into your account so you are ok

Do not give out the 3 digit security code though or they can buy things online with your card!
Juno
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ttoby)
But there's always going to be some level of risk. Companies won't know if something is fraud or real unless they have so much security and ask hundreds of questions - and even then it could be a real transaction but the account holder forgot the password.

You wouldn't want to be queuing in Tesco for ages just because they had to check each transaction thoroughly - because that's what you're suggesting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
cl_steele
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by advice_guru)
Card number + Security Number + Name + Expiry = Clean Out time on Amazon.com

No one can get into your account though, bank accounts are protected online by 256 bit AES. No physical commercial computer currently has the computing power to hack 256 bit AES, not saying the military don't though.
ever heard of cloud computing genius?
either way a dead card is exactly that deadthe numbers are of little help, especially seeing as you cant go online shopping with one without the billing address and most banks have an online verifiaction system in place anyway so no they cant do much.
ttoby
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Juno)
But there's always going to be some level of risk. Companies won't know if something is fraud or real unless they have so much security and ask hundreds of questions - and even then it could be a real transaction but the account holder forgot the password.

You wouldn't want to be queuing in Tesco for ages just because they had to check each transaction thoroughly - because that's what you're suggesting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
But there are checks in Tesco - you have to type in your PIN, and also it works the other way as when you go to enter your PIN you have the total amount displayed so you can see if something is wrong. I'm not suggesting adding to this procedure - my view is that the process of signing up to a direct debit should be changed to use debit card details instead of bank account details.
Juno
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ttoby)
But there are checks in Tesco - you have to type in your PIN, and also it works the other way as when you go to enter your PIN you have the total amount displayed so you can see if something is wrong. I'm not suggesting adding to this procedure - my view is that the process of signing up to a direct debit should be changed to use debit card details instead of bank account details.
There is a check - the bank writes to you.

Also, only companies can set up direct debits. If i have your details, i can't benefit - i can order something like a magazine but it's set up for the future so likely you'll flag it up before i get anything. If i have your card details there's a chance i get stuff before you realise.

And also, you rarely give out account details so nobody can get them by accident. You give out your card details more often - buying online or over the phone is common, or they're on your card (some cards have account details on but not all) - so there's more chance for them to go astray.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ttoby
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Juno)
There is a check - the bank writes to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't feel that's sufficient. But then, as you say, nothing is 100% secure so I'm happy to disagree on which exact measures are acceptable.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (711)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (895)
42.74%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (395)
18.86%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.44%

Watched Threads