The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Accommodation Facilities

So I've been offered accommodation at St. Mary's with a washbasin, but I'm wondering what hygiene and just general cleanliness is like with a washbasin?

Where do I go to shower and use the toilet and everything? Like how many people will I be sharing these facilities with? I've heard some proper grim stories and I really hope it's not that bad :s-smilie:
Reply 1
According to this PDF, 6 people share 2 bathrooms at St. Mary's. All Newcastle accommodation adheres to the 'Student Accommodation Code' and a lot of people live in washbasin rooms every year so I don't think it'll be that bad.

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/accommodation/assets/documents/accommodationoverview2013.pdf
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by C-Dawg
So I've been offered accommodation at St. Mary's with a washbasin, but I'm wondering what hygiene and just general cleanliness is like with a washbasin?

Where do I go to shower and use the toilet and everything? Like how many people will I be sharing these facilities with? I've heard some proper grim stories and I really hope it's not that bad :s-smilie:

I'm at St Mary too! what flat are you in? :smile: and I was a bit worried about sharing a bathroom with others but I live with 6 people at home and we manage to share two bathrooms without any issues so I'm sure it will be fine for us :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by 4c:75:6b:65
According to this PDF, 6 people share 2 bathrooms at St. Mary's. All Newcastle accommodation adheres to the 'Student Accommodation Code' and a lot of people live in washbasin rooms every year so I don't think it'll be that bad.

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/accommodation/assets/documents/accommodationoverview2013.pdf

Oh! That's not bad at all, sharing with the same amount of people as if it was ensuite. Thank you!

Original post by HannarrBuff
I'm at St Mary too! what flat are you in? :smile: and I was a bit worried about sharing a bathroom with others but I live with 6 people at home and we manage to share two bathrooms without any issues so I'm sure it will be fine for us :smile:

I'm in flat 54, which one are you in?
Reply 4
Original post by C-Dawg
Oh! That's not bad at all, sharing with the same amount of people as if it was ensuite. Thank you!

I'm in flat 54, which one are you in?

I'm in flat 37 :smile:
Reply 5
I'm in flat 37 :smile:

Nice one, have you looked around the accommodation yet? I haven't managed to get a tour anything.
Reply 6
Original post by C-Dawg
Nice one, have you looked around the accommodation yet? I haven't managed to get a tour anything.

No unfortunately I haven't either :frown: but judging by what a lot of people have been saying, it sounds pretty nice :smile: and there is an ASDA 15/20 min walk around the corner so now my life is complete Haha :tongue:
Reply 7
No unfortunately I haven't either :frown: but judging by what a lot of people have been saying, it sounds pretty nice :smile: and there is an ASDA 15/20 min walk around the corner so now my life is complete Haha :tongue:

It sounds great, free bus as well! Had it at the top of my list as soon as I saw it :biggrin: if I knew it had a local ASDA as well, there would've been no doubt whatsoever
Reply 8
Original post by C-Dawg
It sounds great, free bus as well! Had it at the top of my list as soon as I saw it :biggrin: if I knew it had a local ASDA as well, there would've been no doubt whatsoever

Well from looking at Google maps there seems to be two local ASDA's so that's always a plus to have two in case one doesn't stock much ;p yes it was either here or Henderson hall for me but I liked the look of st Marys straight away :tongue: I applied for it as first preference in April and got my offer in may :tongue: I have a feeling the free bus maybe crammed so I may walk to uni whilst the weather is still pleasant and the days are lighter for longer :smile:
Reply 9
Well from looking at Google maps there seems to be two local ASDA's so that's always a plus to have two in case one doesn't stock much ;p yes it was either here or Henderson hall for me but I liked the look of st Marys straight away :tongue: I applied for it as first preference in April and got my offer in may :tongue: I have a feeling the free bus maybe crammed so I may walk to uni whilst the weather is still pleasant and the days are lighter for longer :smile:

Google maps, why didn't I think of that? Wow how come you got it so early? Truue, free bus though is great. Here where I live it's so expensive for the bus
Original post by C-Dawg
Google maps, why didn't I think of that? Wow how come you got it so early? Truue, free bus though is great. Here where I live it's so expensive for the bus

Haha well now you can look where everything is now ;p and I'm a gap year student so I guess I got my first preference because everyone awaiting exam results don't get their offers until results day :smile: yes same I live 3 miles from the city centre (Worcester) and its £3.90 for a single! If I want to save money on a return I have to pay £5 for a day pass to save money, its crazy!
Reply 11
Haha well now you can look where everything is now ;p and I'm a gap year student so I guess I got my first preference because everyone awaiting exam results don't get their offers until results day :smile: yes same I live 3 miles from the city centre (Worcester) and its £3.90 for a single! If I want to save money on a return I have to pay £5 for a day pass to save money, its crazy!

Yeah I took a year out too! Exactly, it's extortion- we get charged the same prices here in Leeds.
Original post by C-Dawg
Yeah I took a year out too! Exactly, it's extortion- we get charged the same prices here in Leeds.

ooo cool :biggrin: and yes it is! I nearly went to Leeds uni! but they rejected me :frown: glad i didn't I can't stand over priced transport! but i like Leeds :smile: not far for you to travel to Newcastle, takes me 4 and a half hours on the train up to newcastle from here! :frown:
Reply 13
ooo cool :biggrin: and yes it is! I nearly went to Leeds uni! but they rejected me :frown: glad i didn't I can't stand over priced transport! but i like Leeds :smile: not far for you to travel to Newcastle, takes me 4 and a half hours on the train up to newcastle from here! :frown:

Leeds is great, I think if I wasn't from here I'd chose it as the place to go. Newcastle looks amazing though, nice city and cool accents haha. Wow 4 and a half hours on the train? That's mad, I'm sure I could get to France driving by that time

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending