The Student Room Group

Want to go the cinema tomorrow, but have nobody to go with, should I go alone?

A popular movie is coming out today but all of my close friends are on holiday or out of the city, and the earliest one will be back is in two weeks time, which is too long a wait. I would like to go on my own but will mentally torture myself for the whole movie if anyone I know sees me going there on my own. WHY SOCIETY? WHY YOU DO THIS?! :cry:

Does anyone go on their own to the movies? What time do you go, first screening in the morning or in the evening when everyone goes? Any advice? Should I wear a disguise? Grow a beard? :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I know the feeling, this happens to me all the time.

I haven't actually been to see a movie by myself yet for fear of being judged or seeing people I sort of know.

But at the moment all my friends are abroad and I'm seriously considering going to see something by myself.

Go in the evening and wear a ninja suit :ninja:
Reply 2
nobody is going to care
Reply 3
First, grow a long beard so you can hide your bag of Skittles in it.

Next, perform a Satanic ritual and call upon the Demon of Going Cinema Alone, for guidance.

And finally, go outside your house and scream "I'M GOING THE CINEMA ALONE!" and watch as no-one gives a rats ass. This completes the ritual.

-

I go all the time simply because I like to see every film that catches my eye, and given the rate at which they're coming out at the moment, not everyone can afford it. I've done it for a few years now and often spot other loners, especially at the night showings. The cinema is hardly a social occasion apart from when you fight for the popcorn...
Reply 4
People won't care (you shouldn't care what they think anyway) go for it! :smile:
Reply 5
Meh. Do you care about the strange, horny couples that go to cinema to snog? Do you care about the self-professed critic gang that stare at the screen like it bites? DO you?
Well, there. Go enjoy.
Reply 6
I think about 50% of the movies I went to see in the cinema, I went to see alone. It's not really a big deal. And as basedomara said, people aren't gonna care about you going alone
Reply 7
Original post by Mycroft Holmes
A popular movie is coming out today but all of my close friends are on holiday or out of the city, and the earliest one will be back is in two weeks time, which is too long a wait. I would like to go on my own but will mentally torture myself for the whole movie if anyone I know sees me going there on my own. WHY SOCIETY? WHY YOU DO THIS?! :cry:

Does anyone go on their own to the movies? What time do you go, first screening in the morning or in the evening when everyone goes? Any advice? Should I wear a disguise? Grow a beard? :smile:

Why don't you go with Sherlock Holmes ..... lol sorry I could not help myself
can't you go with your cousins or other family members such as siblings?
Or you could walk into the cinema room just when the movie starts everyone would be too interested in the movie to care.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Lots of people go alone nowadays, don't fret :smile:
Just go. I'd really admire someone who I saw going by themselves, because I wish I had that courage.
If anyone sees you from school/university, your reputation would be in tatters.
Reply 11
Original post by basedomara
nobody is going to care

AHAHAHAHAHAHAA
I went to the cinema alone once, Afterwards I was standing around with a bunch of people and they started talking about the film in question. I said I watched it, they asked who with, I said I went on my own and they all gave me "aww you poor thing" looks and started grilling me about why I couldn't find anyone to go with. I was so embarrassed that to this day I have never been to the cinema on my own again. This was 5 years ago and I haven't had anyone to go with in that time meaning that I haven't been to the cinema for 5 years.
Original post by peter12345
AHAHAHAHAHAHAA
I went to the cinema alone once, Afterwards I was standing around with a bunch of people and they started talking about the film in question. I said I watched it, they asked who with, I said I went on my own and they all gave me "aww you poor thing" looks and started grilling me about why I couldn't find anyone to go with. I was so embarrassed that to this day I have never been to the cinema on my own again. This was 5 years ago and I haven't had anyone to go with in that time meaning that I haven't been to the cinema for 5 years.

that's bcuz you explicitly stated you went alone

if you're insecure about it then dont talk about it you numbnuts

just roll up on your own, watch it, go home. end of.

that's like being allergic to peanuts, managing to hide it your entire life, until somebody asks you your opinion of nuts and you respond by stuffing your face with some reese's cupcakes
You shouldn't be talking during films so whyy does it matter?
Original post by Rajvir
Why don't you go with Sherlock Holmes ..... lol sorry I could not help myself
can't you go with your cousins or other family members such as siblings?
Or you could walk into the cinema room just when the movie starts everyone would be too interested in the movie to care.

Nah my family aren't interested really. I suppose if I timed it well I could get in just as the movie starts and all the lights are dimmed, as you say. Still, anyone could see me hanging around outside the screen or in the lobby. Hmm :holmes:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by basedomara
that's bcuz you explicitly stated you went alone

if you're insecure about it then dont talk about it you numbnuts

just roll up on your own, watch it, go home. end of.

that's like being allergic to peanuts, managing to hide it your entire life, until somebody asks you your opinion of nuts and you respond by stuffing your face with some reese's cupcakes

if explicitly stating that you go to the cinema alone causes people to think you're strange then people care if you go tot he cinema alone hence proving my point.
Reply 16
Do it, Its actually pretty fun, plus there is no one to talk through the film and annoy you! I go all the time, who cares what other people think of you!
I've been once on my own, and felt self conscious waiting for the film, but once it started it was fine. I'd go again. If nobody else wants to see something that I do, I don't see why I should miss out!
Reply 18
I don't understand why it's strange to go alone... someone explain? Alone is so much easier/less annoying for me :biggrin:
Reply 19
I had to go alone because none of my friends wanted to go see toy story. My only recommendation is do it when the film has been out a while if its a kids movie. My life got ripped to shreds by random 5 year olds. :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending