The Student Room Group

poor extra curricular?

Hello,

I am a re applicant and am worried about my (lack of) extra curricular activities. I already hold a 2.1 degree and masters, am currently doing hospital voluntary work once a week and in the process of arranging work experience at a GP surgery. I have previously worked in research as a technician and worked in a lab in a pharmaceutical, worked as a teaching assistant for 4 months (years ago now) and set up my own (be it small!) business etc so will use these experiences to enhance my statement.

My problem is, at school, I really didn't excel in anything extra curricular- no musical interests, no significant sporting achievements, no D of E (never did this at my old school) and haven't really done anything since. Of course, I have interests- reading, yoga, walking etc but they don't really sound all that impressive compared to someone who has has all the aforementioned.

Has anyone applied and been successful in gaining an interview with what you would consider relatively poor extracurricular activities/hobbies? I am aware that my statement has to be spot on and feel that this area may hinder me in getting an interview. Also, being a mature applicant, I'm not sure how relevant mentioning stuff from my time at school is- I was a prefect, sold one of my painting- any point in mentioning this.?

Thanks!
Reply 1
anyone?
i don't think it matters on an application form whether you enjoy playing racket sports, camping outside in the wilderness eating slugs or play three different instruments to grade 8. everybody is different and we all have different interests. you don't have to be musical or physically active to become a good doctor, as evidenced by many a fat middle-aged consultant with terrible taste in music.

think about it, as long as you have an effective way to relax and cope with stress, it doesn't really matter whether it's a cerebral activity like reading or one more commonly reserved for retirement, like a stroll down in the park. it's just people who mention team sports or wilderness camping, can generally expand on that experience from more angles than just de-stressing and relaxing. well, unless you read together in a team, and your regular strolls involve dealing with difficult and challenging obstacles under pressure.
You have great vocational experience, all they're looking for on top of that is that you can handle the pressures of medicine in your own way. That might be playing an instrument to grade 8, but it might also be Yoga and reading to relax. I wouldn't worry about it!
Reply 4
Original post by Missymoo84
Hello,

I am a re applicant and am worried about my (lack of) extra curricular activities. I already hold a 2.1 degree and masters, am currently doing hospital voluntary work once a week and in the process of arranging work experience at a GP surgery. I have previously worked in research as a technician and worked in a lab in a pharmaceutical, worked as a teaching assistant for 4 months (years ago now) and set up my own (be it small!) business etc so will use these experiences to enhance my statement.

My problem is, at school, I really didn't excel in anything extra curricular- no musical interests, no significant sporting achievements, no D of E (never did this at my old school) and haven't really done anything since. Of course, I have interests- reading, yoga, walking etc but they don't really sound all that impressive compared to someone who has has all the aforementioned.

Has anyone applied and been successful in gaining an interview with what you would consider relatively poor extracurricular activities/hobbies? I am aware that my statement has to be spot on and feel that this area may hinder me in getting an interview. Also, being a mature applicant, I'm not sure how relevant mentioning stuff from my time at school is- I was a prefect, sold one of my painting- any point in mentioning this.?

Thanks!

Sports/music etc really aren't relevant. Your life experience will trump all of that anyway, even if it was.

This side of the Atlantic, in any case.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending