The Student Room Group

UK student applying to US University 2014

Hey All
Hey All

I'm a British that wants to apply to US universities for entry in 2014. I will apply to UK Universities too, but I think it will be a great idea to try something new and apply abroad. I've done a fair bit of research, and booked my admissions tests.

I just wanted to create this thread so that we could all talk - Discuss - Panic - blah blah blahhh :biggrin: :biggrin: lol!

Right now, I'm preparing to take the ACT in Nov. The prep book just arrived so I had a quick look through it!

What is everyone else doing? :smile:

#TEAMUSA
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Where are you looking to apply? And for what?
Reply 2
i put her down to the whip and my diamonds i'm in black and yellow black and yellow black and yellow

(arizon
UK Student, just did SAT 1: 740 CR, 710 M, 610 Writing. Looking at Columbia and USC right now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I want to major in Chemistry. I am looking at Cornell, MIT, possibly Harvard?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone, I'm not sure if I should get this book?

There is a 2013 edition, and a 2014 edition. Which one should I purchase? My teacher suggested that we should definitely get it.

Internation guide to US Universities 2014

compared to ...

International guide to US universities 2013

??

stuck here :s-smilie:
Ooo. Cornell is a great university. Not that all the ones you mentioned aren't. It's in a beautiful city, one of my favorites in NY.
Reply 6
YAYYY!!!!

That's good! As soon as I read about Cornell, I got a little excited! It isn't as competitive as Harvard, but it is almost as good! The statistics are really good! The only thing that lets it down is that they don't offer Rowing (Crew)! :frown:
Reply 7
Original post by sazzabazza
UK Student, just did SAT 1: 740 CR, 710 M, 610 Writing. Looking at Columbia and USC right now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

awesome!! Really good scores!
Are you thinking of taking any subject tests? Also, when do you think you will begin application process? :smile:
Original post by CurtisDean
YAYYY!!!!

That's good! As soon as I read about Cornell, I got a little excited! It isn't as competitive as Harvard, but it is almost as good! The statistics are really good! The only thing that lets it down is that they don't offer Rowing (Crew)! :frown:

Cornell is supposedly the easiest ivy league to get into, but the hardest to graduate from. And as for rowing, you wouldn't want to go rowing in the cold there anyway. Haha.
Reply 9
University in the US is a terrible rip-off. Living costs combined with tuition fees and you're looking at 300,000 USD on a second rate education.
Reply 10
Original post by DarthVador
University in the US is a terrible rip-off. Living costs combined with tuition fees and you're looking at 300,000 USD on a second rate education.

That's without Financial aid, students rarely pay the sticker price for studying in the US because of all of the help available - yes, even with international students.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I want to major in Chemistry. I am looking at Cornell, MIT, possibly Harvard?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone, I'm not sure if I should get this book?

There is a 2013 edition, and a 2014 edition. Which one should I purchase? My teacher suggested that we should definitely get it.

Internation guide to US Universities 2014

compared to ...

International guide to US universities 2013

??

stuck here :s-smilie:

People, I still need to decide what to do. I want to order two other books tonight, so I don't know which one I should get?
Reply 11
Original post by sazzabazza

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scores are good but writing will hurt. I would take them again, given your other scores you should be able to study and bring them up. Otherwise COlumbia will be very hard.
Original post by star999
Scores are good but writing will hurt. I would take them again, given your other scores you should be able to study and bring them up. Otherwise COlumbia will be very hard.

Yeah I am in October. Hopefully shouldn't matter too much as I'm going for Engineering where they place little weighting on writing. Subject tests in November: Maths II and Physics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DarthVador

It's not necessarily a rip off. The universities here are good. But it all depends on the person and what they want from their education. I've been told it's crazy to want to pay the money to go to uni in the UK, but I'd rather be in debt, but happy with the path I chose, then to stay here just to save some money.
Hey, I'm from the US but I'm planning on going to University in the UK in 2014. If you have any questions about anything, I would be glad to help!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I'm from the states like natalienouri, planning on applying to a British university, so if you have any questions I would also be happy to help :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by natalienouri
Hey, I'm from the US but I'm planning on going to University in the UK in 2014. If you have any questions about anything, I would be glad to help!

Original post by mariann77
I'm from the states like natalienouri, planning on applying to a British university, so if you have any questions I would also be happy to help :smile:

Thank you peeps!

I just created the thread because I don't have any friends from school that want to apply abroad who I can just talk to about the process etc. So thank you!!

Which Unis are you both thinking of applying to? :smile:
I think I've pretty much decided on Bournemouth University to study Marketing Communications. I got to visit last month and absolutely loved it! :smile: I haven't really decided on my other choices. What about you, what American colleges are you interested in?

Reply 18
Original post by natalienouri
I think I've pretty much decided on Bournemouth University to study Marketing Communications. I got to visit last month and absolutely loved it! :smile: I haven't really decided on my other choices. What about you, what American colleges are you interested in?

awesome!!

I'm interested in MIT, Stanford, Harvard, Cornell, UPenn, Penn State --- I haven't decided which ones I will apply to yet. :smile:

Have you begun to fill in UCAS yet?
awesome!!

I'm interested in MIT, Stanford, Harvard, Cornell, UPenn, Penn State --- I haven't decided which ones I will apply to yet. :smile:

Have you begun to fill in UCAS yet?

That's a very impressive list! You're lucky because you can apply to an unlimited amount of schools, so I'm sure you'll find the right fit!

Yes, I started to fill out the UCAS app a while ago, I'm just waiting now to take the SAT and then get my recommendation letter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending