The Student Room Group

the only thing putting me off is his culture/background....tips?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Wait a minute - so because you hear that this guy has indian/pakistani roots, that automatically means that he's a closet oppressive misogynist? There's judging a book by it's cover, and then there's judging a book by reading the synopsis of a different story altogether.

I love how all of you assume he contains cultural baggage, whilst knowing absolutely nothing about his character, or even his parents. Even OP says that they get along well together - I've had family member's girlfriends break off the relationship PURELY because of the country they were born in (never mind the fact that they've been in Britiain for 95% of their lifetimes, and have completely british values). It's a sickening practice, and the fact that all of you are actually encouragng it is actually quite worrying.

OP, you want to know what he's really like? How about communicating seriously with him?
Original post by im so academic
It's just easier to get with someone who definitely will not have cultural baggage. Why should the OP go for the guy in question? No way.

See this reply:

Original post by Another
Wait a minute - so because you hear that this guy has indian/pakistani roots, that automatically means that he's a closet oppressive misogynist? There's judging a book by it's cover, and then there's judging a book by reading the synopsis of a different story altogether.

I love how all of you assume he contains cultural baggage, whilst knowing absolutely nothing about his character, or even his parents. Even OP says that they get along well together - I've had family member's girlfriends break off the relationship PURELY because of the country they were born in (never mind the fact that they've been in Britiain for 95% of their lifetimes, and have completely british values). It's a sickening practice, and the fact that all of you are actually encouragng it is actually quite worrying.

OP, you want to know what he's really like? How about communicating seriously with him?

I don't think it's "most" people, just ISA :biggrin:
Original post by Another

Really? Then what is the OP having doubts?
Reply 23
Really? Then what is the OP having doubts?

...What is this question asking? Or was that meant to say "why"?

In which case, Xenophobia/Ignorance, to think that the actions of a few is a representation of every single indian man on earth.
Original post by Another
...What is this question asking? Or was that meant to say "why"?

In which case, Xenophobia/Ignorance, to think that the actions of a few is a representation of every single indian man on earth.

Oh yeah, I meant why. Stupid typos.

Oh come on! It's hardly being xenophobic and I'm not being ignorant.

If the OP wasn't having doubts, then it would all be OK. But she is, and has the right to have doubts.
Reply 25
Original post by Honey:)
hi guys.

theres this really amazing guy that i met and he is half indian and half pakistani british and born and raised here in london.
We get along really well and he asked me out for dinner tomorrow but i replied flirtatiously 'i will let you know if your lucky or not :wink:'

ive had a bad experience when i visited India with some friends last summer. long story short we were mistreated and looked down upon and the men looked at us like we were a piece of meat.. it made me sick and it still traumatizes me till this day. i hated it.

And ive heard of all those awful stories in the media about the way in which men treat women in Pakistan too.

i must admit my past experiences does make me cold to some of the people from these places and im scared that whether or not its to the extreme extent i had experienced in India myself, that some of the things i saw and heard might present itself with this new guy that makes me happy!
what if he thinks like that or sometime in the future his family look at me the same way as those men in India or pakistan?
am i overthinking?
help...?

I'm a white girl dating an indian guy who was born and raised here, and I've never had any problems with his background. I also get on well with a lot of his indian friends. I don't know any of them that would ever treat a girl any different to a white guy. There are some culture differences; I'm not allowed to stay over, and I think his family find it quite strange that he's dating a white girl. But it has never been a problem and should not put you off!
Original post by JosieG
I'm a white girl dating an indian guy who was born and raised here, and I've never had any problems with his background. I also get on well with a lot of his indian friends. I don't know any of them that would ever treat a girl any different to a white guy. There are some culture differences; I'm not allowed to stay over, and I think his family find it quite strange that he's dating a white girl. But it has never been a problem and should not put you off!

Why are you with an Indian guy when you could have a white guy?
Reply 27
Oh yeah, I meant why. Stupid typos.

Oh come on! It's hardly being xenophobic and I'm not being ignorant.

If the OP wasn't having doubts, then it would all be OK. But she is, and has the right to have doubts.

How does she have the right?

If the guy had made any offhand misogynist comments, or had treated women badly in the past, then yes, she should be cautious. But she hasn't specified that at all.

.....Are you just trolling now?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Another
How does she have the right?

If the guy had made any offhand misogynist comments, or had treated women badly in the past, then yes, she should be cautious. But she hasn't specified that at all.

.....Are you just trolling now?

Why does someone have the right to have doubts about dating a woman? :lolwut:
Reply 29
How about you stop worrying about what'll happen 'after marriage', and just get to know the guy a little bit before you consider all this. Agreeing to go out with him one time isn't agreeing to be committed to him; find out a little more about him, but try not to get too invested until you figure out more about his family situation and decide whether you'd be able to handle the potential culture shock or not.

Honestly though, the chances of him being abusive compared to any other guy from England are really no higher. People making these assumptions of baggage are ridiculous. If he's someone you truly like - which you can figure out by getting to know him - then the differences in culture will be more than made up for by all of the positives of your relationship.
Reply 30

Why would a white guy be preferable to an Indian guy?!

Surely it should be about the person, not their heritage...
Original post by rlscope
Why would a white guy be preferable to an Indian guy?!

Surely it should be about the person, not their heritage...

More things in common? More attractive? :dontknow:

I see lots of girls lusting after the likes of Ryan Gosling, Ryan Reynolds, Ian Somerhauld etc etc
Reply 32
Um, yeah, because western values makes you less of a perv /facepalm
Reply 33
Why does someone have the right to have doubts about dating a woman? :lolwut:

She's assuming that this guy is a wifebeater purely for the fact that he has an indian father or mother. She has the right to do that?

I see lots of girls lusting after the likes of Ryan Gosling, Ryan Reynolds, Ian Somerhauld etc etc

Stop, just stop. Quit while you're vaguely ahead, you don't have the right to question the race of a stranger's boyfriend, then come out with crap like that.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 34
Seriously? It's far easier to get with someone without all that cultural baggage.

Lol'd irl. Please go.
Reply 35

Hang on, if he's grown up here then there's easily plenty for them to have in common, and differences make things more interesting - who wants to have EVERYTHING in common with their partner?

And why on earth should a white guy be more attractive than an Indian one?!!? That's on an individual basis. You can't just say white guys are hotter, that's totally ridiculous.
Original post by rlscope
Hang on, if he's grown up here then there's easily plenty for them to have in common, and differences make things more interesting - who wants to have EVERYTHING in common with their partner?

And why on earth should a white guy be more attractive than an Indian one?!!? That's on an individual basis. You can't just say white guys are hotter, that's totally ridiculous.

It's causing a problem, that's why the OP made a thread about it. You can't just deny it when that's the reason the OP made the thread in the first place.

Are you saying that if someone had problems in their relationship that they were concerned about, they should ignore it? No!

Actually I can, Google says differently.
Reply 37
It's causing a problem, that's why the OP made a thread about it. You can't just deny it when that's the reason the OP made the thread in the first place.

Are you saying that if someone had problems in their relationship that they were concerned about, they should ignore it? No!

Actually I can, Google says differently.

No, OP was wondering if people think it's LIKELY to cause problems in their relationship. They aren't even in a relationship yet, and OP doesn't even know what this guy's family is like - so no one knows if there would be a problem, and chances are that there wouldn't be one of the scale that OP is fearing.

All I'm saying is that if OP likes him, then she should give him a chance, since she doesn't even really know anything about him yet.

Link some scientific evidence then stating that white guys are more attractive than Indians. Cause just stating that as an objective fact is kinda bordering on racism, in my opinion. Sure everyone has their preferences...but yours aren't the same as everyone else's.
you like him. Get to know him find out about him. You will soon see if he has those type of views. If he is a great guy then surely it would be wise to at least give him a chance. He might be something special and you may regret it if you just write him off because of the views you think he may posses
Reply 39
I think the real issue here is your flirty reply. Giving him such short notice is just not on sistah.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending