The Student Room Group

The McDonalds Thread Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alex_lilly
I'm not the person who answered you but since I've been working at McD's for almost a year, I'll give you some answers.

1. I'm not going to deny it or neither will anyone else, it'll take quite some time for you to adjust to the loud, stressful and fast-pasted atmosphere. For some people it takes a while for others it might not take any time at all. For me, personally, it took six whole months for me to adjust to my job but now I just get on with it like everyone else does. It has its bad days and it has its good days, you'll be dealing with stressed out colleagues, aggressive customers and probably colleagues you don't get along with either. But if you just keep calm and get on with every shift you do, you'll eventually accept this as just a normal thing.

2. Your free meal applies to one shift, you don't get to carry them over and if you don't get your free meal on your break then that's your problem, not anyone else's. You can put it in your locker and take it home later but I can assure you that it probably won't taste very nice, as everything will probably be stone cold by the time you eat it and it probably won't taste much better being heated up in the microwave.

3. That's the minimum wage, dude. If you're 18 or over, your wage will be a little bit higher than this, maybe £5.00 or something. If you eventually become a crew trainer, your wage will go up once again.

4. Apply as soon as possible. No matter when you apply, the process will take a month or less. They still need to see whether you'll be a successful candidate or not.

I agree.
Our store also let people take their break food home at the end of their shift if they hadnt had a break (e.g. if you had only done a short shift- like 4/5 hours or something- and worked straight through). But that was the only exception.
Reply 5961
Original post by alex_lilly
When I went for my welcome meeting, there was another applicant who came in informal clothes so I guess it doesn't matter because you've already got the job. I'd say wear a good shirt and trousers with shoes. You'll probably be trying on your uniform at your welcome meeting (well, they did with mine, I don't know if the process has changed since then) so wear clothes that you can easily get in and out of in a small toilet cubicle.

Good luck!!

Hey, That is exactly what I did. However, the other applicants were in a white shirt whereas I was in a grey shirt...I felt a bit singled out, but it was alright xD
I'm ******** myself I'm going to get fired, I've been working at McDonalds for just over 2 months and I've already got 2 written warning and I'm not that good at my job. I try my best though
Hi. New to this thread. Been working at Maccies for 6 months now.

My store is getting refurbished to the new EOTF atm
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5964
So how long did it take for you guys to get your first schedule?
Did you find out on Myschedule or do they call you to confirm your first shift?
Original post by H.S.H
So how long did it take for you guys to get your first schedule?
Did you find out on Myschedule or do they call you to confirm your first shift?

My myschedule was made for me as soon as I got the job but i'm not sure about the rest because I quit after they kept messing me around with the Orientation. I'm probably going to apply again in the summer :/
Reply 5966
Original post by 0lut0
My myschedule was made for me as soon as I got the job but i'm not sure about the rest because I quit after they kept messing me around with the Orientation. I'm probably going to apply again in the summer :/

You Quit? Why? What happened on Orientation day? :O
Original post by 0lut0

They probably won't take you if you quit before you started unless you apply to a different store/franchise
I have an OJE and an interview on Tuesday and I have a couple of questions.

What do you normally do during an OJE?
What questions will they ask you during the interview?
Reply 5969
Original post by Dom2375
What do you normally do during an OJE?

An OJE is basically when they assess how you adapt to a specific role. You will be assigned to a current employee to help you with the task. You can either be on the till, making drinks, dressing, or be on the drive-thru (Depending if your resturant has a drive-thru) The OJE will normally take about 15mins after or before the Interview. I had mine after the interview and I was on the tills. They basically tell you what the buttons mean and how many sauces you put in. After that, they'll tell you that they'll contact you in a couple of days. If you get an email in 30mins, you haven't got the job.

Original post by Dom2375

What questions will they ask you during the interview?

First off, you shouldn't sweat about your interview at all!
Mine was about a month ago and it was the most chill interview I've had, concidering that this was my first interview xD
What they might have asked me, might not be the same questions they'll ask you, but keep some questions in mind:

What does respect mean to you?

Who do you respect and why?

If you were a brand, what would you be?

(If you're a teenager like me, they'll might ask you:smile: What do your teachers describe you as?

How would you greet a customer who looks angry or How would you deal with an upset customer?

What's more important? Fast service or Friendly service?

Why do you wanna work at McDonalds?

Again, Don't take my word for it! These were the questions I was asked, but they might ask you too. Just make sure you have a good idea of what to say :biggrin:

In addition, I don't remember if they ever asked candidates this, but they might ask you to give examples in teamwork/Leadership.

But don't sweat it, It's the most relaxed experience ever, depending on the interviewer, but you got this! ^_^
Hi there, I've been working at McDonald's for a while now and I have a couple of questions. 1) Is it normal to only be getting one shift a week? I feel like I'm making barely any progress with so little time
2) All of my shifts so far have just been getting drinks on drive through, but next week I'm scheduled to be on front. I've never done this before and not been trained, even though it'll be my 6th shift will I still have a trainer?
3) Every other shift until now has been told to me over the phone, so when I arrive I'm not sure where my shift is for the day. But now MySchedule is working, it tells me where I will be. When I clock in, do I just go straight to the area I'm working or do I need to tell someone first?
Reply 5971
Original post by toastytoasty
Hi there, I've been working at McDonald's for a while now and I have a couple of questions. 1) Is it normal to only be getting one shift a week? I feel like I'm making barely any progress with so little time
2) All of my shifts so far have just been getting drinks on drive through, but next week I'm scheduled to be on front. I've never done this before and not been trained, even though it'll be my 6th shift will I still have a trainer?
3) Every other shift until now has been told to me over the phone, so when I arrive I'm not sure where my shift is for the day. But now MySchedule is working, it tells me where I will be. When I clock in, do I just go straight to the area I'm working or do I need to tell someone first?

I've haven't had my first shft yet, but I do understand what you could do:

1) The reason you are porbably getting 1 shift a week is because you limited your availability. Use MySchedule to change your availability so you can work more shifts.

2) Well, I'd assume you'd be getting a trainer, but for further preparation, play the till game on OurLounge. It should help you with the shift a bit.

3)Er, I'm sure you have a employee lobby, where the lockers are so you have to clock in on the computer, clock out during breaks,clock back in to the end of the break, and clock out at the end of your shift.
Original post by toastytoasty

If your store is anything like mine, what's on the schedule may have no bearing on where you actually are so just go and see whichever manager is running shift to double check. If it's your first time on the station you'll either have a trainer or someone else experienced to talk you through it so don't stress about that :smile:

Shift wise, if you're wanting more, check your availablity and max hours on the schedule, and talk to the scheduling manager. You're more likely to get more shifts if you're trained on more stations too.
I got an email with a night health assessment, I'm 16 but I don't want to work at night plus it won't let me go the assessment link. What do I do?
Reply 5974
Original post by ShiawaseNekox3
I got an email with a night health assessment, I'm 16 but I don't want to work at night plus it won't let me go the assessment link. What do I do?

If you haven't had your welcome meeting yet, you would be given the assessment on paper. Because you're 16 they'll just tell you to tick that you can't do overnights, and to sign at the back.

Don't worry. They know you can't work overnights till you're 18. They just do that with every candidate. :biggrin:
Original post by H.S.H
If you haven't had your welcome meeting yet, you would be given the assessment on paper. Because you're 16 they'll just tell you to tick that you can't do overnights, and to sign at the back.

Don't worry. They know you can't work overnights till you're 18. They just do that with every candidate. :biggrin:

But on my email, they've sent me a link to a night assessment (and my computer says it takes too long to open the link) to respond. However, I don't wish to work overnights, only 9am-6pm
What do I have to bring with me to my interview?
Also where should I go in the McDonalds?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ShiawaseNekox3
But on my email, they've sent me a link to a night assessment (and my computer says it takes too long to open the link) to respond. However, I don't wish to work overnights, only 9am-6pm

Same as above, everyone gets one to do. If it won't work at home, tell them and they'll give you a paper copy in store to fill in. Filling it in doesn't mean they'll give you overs, so long as your availability is set to what you can work then it will be fine. Talk to your managers if you're worried. I had to do one at 16 and I never worked past 9pm :smile:
Hi, I got offered a interview next Wednesday at my local McDs for a customer service role, any chance them responding within 2 days of submitting the application is a good sign? LOL

Also, I wasn't offered the OJE, do only some stories offer this or would I be asked to do this separately if they like me in the interview? And everyone's asked to bring in their NI number as well as passport for ID right?

I'm just really nervous because this is the first interview I've had in forever, sorry for the neurotic sounding questions :smile:
My application on the online portal thing has been marked as 'Considering' from 'Application Received', yet I haven't received an email yet or any further information?

I also had another application under 'Considering' and for that one I was sent an email instantly to organise a time and date for my interview and OJE.

Does anyone know why this is?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending