The Student Room Group

The McDonalds Thread Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tedster
I was paid for the welcoming meeting, but the rate is 6.20 which is definitely incorrect.

Regular 6.83 6.2000 42.35
Evening 6.30 6.2000 39.06
Welcome Meeting 1.00 6.2000 6.20

Ah right, gotcha. It's either a mistake or you're very lucky to work somewhere that doesn't discriminate based on age haha. I'd keep the extra money to one side in case they do ask for it back, although I'm not sure if they'd legally be able to force you to... Either way, I wouldn't complain if I were you :P
Reply 981
Original post by MrSupernova
Ah right, gotcha. It's either a mistake or you're very lucky to work somewhere that doesn't discriminate based on age haha. I'd keep the extra money to one side in case they do ask for it back, although I'm not sure if they'd legally be able to force you to... Either way, I wouldn't complain if I were you :P

That is what i was going to do, just keep the money aside and see if they have noticed, but I will see what happens in two weeks with the next payslip ^.^
Reply 982
Looks like I am doing my first open in a weeks time, although it is technically a hand over from the night shift to the early morning shift.

Just wanted to ask what sort of tasks you do in an open? In grill, front counter etc,
Handing in my notice tomorrow, I stuck it out for almost a year but need to focus on uni and my own mental health now (haha).

I'm going to miss some of the people I work with and of course the money though, having two jobs has been pretty sweet money wise.
Reply 984
Original post by Tedster
That is what i was going to do, just keep the money aside and see if they have noticed, but I will see what happens in two weeks with the next payslip ^.^

What does the rate on your contract say?
Original post by Tedster
I was paid for the welcoming meeting, but the rate is 6.20 which is definitely incorrect.

Regular 6.83 6.2000 42.35
Evening 6.30 6.2000 39.06
Welcome Meeting 1.00 6.2000 6.20

Actually if they've hired you as Customer Care that would be correct.
Reply 986
Original post by definedancing
Actually if they've hired you as Customer Care that would be correct.

I am a crew memeber.
Original post by MrBuck
What does the rate on your contract say?

£4.40
Original post by Tedster
I am a crew memeber.

£4.40

Fairy nuff...:smile:

You might want to ask your manager though simply to avoid nasty surprises.

I haven't introduced myself on this thread. :smile: I'm a Crew Trainer, and i've worked at Maccie's for 2 years full-time and nearly a year part-time. :wavey:

I haven't introduced myself on this thread. :smile: I'm a Crew Trainer, and i've worked at Maccie's for 2 years full-time and nearly a year part-time. :wavey:

Its nice to meet another Crew Trainer :hello: Does your store managers also decide to pass off some of their responsibilities onto the Crew Trainers and more senior crew members as well? :smile:

Hii! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MathsNerd1
Its nice to meet another Crew Trainer :hello: Does your store managers also decide to pass off some of their responsibilities onto the Crew Trainers and more senior crew members as well? :smile:

All the time, to the point where instead of getting a manager from another store to cover a manager meeting, they just get the crew trainers to run shift and hope nobody needs change or calls the store (or threatens to bomb the place.)

Also, any less than 3 SOC's a week and you're dead lol.

Lovely to meet you too. :smile:. Are you eyeing management or are you just liking the role you're in?

Oh and hello, SortYourLife. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
All the time, to the point where instead of getting a manager from another store to cover a manager meeting, they just get the crew trainers to run shift and hope nobody needs change or calls the store (or threatens to bomb the place.)

Lovely to meet you too. :smile:. Are you eyeing management or are you just liking the role you're in?

Yeah our managers just tend to stay in the office so the crew trainers tend to actually run the shifts and sort out everyone's breaks too, also I've personally been put in charge of a team of 8 crew members to make sure they have all their 4 stars as soon as possible as well as looking after the blended ice syrup yield and the HVAC too, all the other teams have a manager to run them however for mine I'm the most experienced member of staff :redface: Also I'm not sure what your store used to be like when you first started but it actually took me almost the 2 years to get my 4 stars whereas there is a crew member who has been here less than a month but has all 4 stars already!! I suppose they're doing it to look good on the FRO we have coming up at the end of next month. Also I would be eyeing management but I'm transferring to a store closer to my university in a few weeks so they won't consider me on that basis but I'm hoping to be a manager while I'm at university, how about you? :smile:
Yeah our managers just tend to stay in the office so the crew trainers tend to actually run the shifts and sort out everyone's breaks too, also I've personally been put in charge of a team of 8 crew members to make sure they have all their 4 stars as soon as possible as well as looking after the blended ice syrup yield and the HVAC too, all the other teams have a manager to run them however for mine I'm the most experienced member of staff :redface: Also I'm not sure what your store used to be like when you first started but it actually took me almost the 2 years to get my 4 stars whereas there is a crew member who has been here less than a month but has all 4 stars already!! I suppose they're doing it to look good on the FRO we have coming up at the end of next month. Also I would be eyeing management but I'm transferring to a store closer to my university in a few weeks so they won't consider me on that basis but I'm hoping to be a manager while I'm at university, how about you? :smile:

Yeah that's basically like us. I have the dreaded flurry topping yield. :mad:

The store is rife with favoritism so if you're one of the budding hopefuls that the assistant managers take a shining to, expect them to have 4 stars and a crew trainer book in their hand in a matter of months, regardless of whether they're suitable for it. One lad consistently came in late, no-showed and got drunk before shifts, but because he's the salaried managers best friend, he's now a crew trainer. Meanwhile, there are some lovely, hard-working part-time lads who they won't ever get given a chance away from kitchen, and vice-versa, so they can't get all their stars. Rotation is terrible.

I'm not the most experienced crew trainer and there are people who've been in the same role for 4 or 5 years because for some reason our group is very reluctant to promote anyone (quite a lot of the trainee shift managers have either handed their notice in or dropped the course, and one girl was on the management course 4 times before leaving). In the three years I have been there I have seen two people promoted to shift manager. True story. Because of this we've had lots and lots of transfers to the point where every new manager seems to just get chucked in our store. It's a big problem and it's not looking very good on the store or the group for that matter, so no, right now i'm not eyeing management.

It does sound like i'm bad mouthing but it's not all bad. There's just a lot i'd like to change. :biggrin:
Yeah that's basically like us. I have the dreaded flurry topping yield. :mad:

The store is rife with favoritism so if you're one of the budding hopefuls that the assistant managers take a shining to, expect them to have 4 stars and a crew trainer book in their hand in a matter of months, regardless of whether they're suitable for it. One lad consistently came in late, no-showed and got drunk before shifts, but because he's the salaried managers best friend, he's now a crew trainer. Meanwhile, there are some lovely, hard-working part-time lads who they won't ever get given a chance away from kitchen, and vice-versa, so they can't get all their stars. Rotation is terrible.

I'm not the most experienced crew trainer and there are people who've been in the same role for 4 or 5 years because for some reason our group is very reluctant to promote anyone (quite a lot of the trainee shift managers have either handed their notice in or dropped the course, and one girl was on the management course 4 times before leaving). In the three years I have been there I have seen two people promoted to shift manager. True story. Because of this we've had lots and lots of transfers to the point where every new manager seems to just get chucked in our store. It's a big problem and it's not looking very good on the store or the group for that matter, so no, right now i'm not eyeing management.

It does sound like i'm bad mouthing but it's not all bad. There's just a lot i'd like to change. :biggrin:

I wouldn't mind having that yield as its easier to maintain but with blended ice not everyone is aware of how to reduce the yield and I've noticed loads being thrown away because people either changed their mind or someone else already got it ready for them, so I imagine that they aren't being recorded properly on waste hence the reason our yield is just terrible, the problem is that only managers do the waste count in my store so its just really bad. :redface:

And yeah my store is the same about favouritism and to be honest if I was in charge I wouldn't have allowed 10 crew members to go onto the trainer pathway because they just aren't the ideal employees in my eyes and don't give us a good representation either.

Wow that's really bad, I'd hate to be in a store where you couldn't improve your position but because I'm only part time it doesn't really bother me not being a manager as it'd be a lot to manage as well as doing well in my degree I'm about to start and I wouldn't want to risk my degree for the position at all.

Its alright, its best to let it out instead of keeping it inside as its not good and yeah I'd change a lot too if I was in charge but I'm not planning on staying at McDonalds once I've graduated from university as this is just a part time thing for me and always was going to be. :smile:
Reply 994

3 SOC's a week would be nice, I seem to get like 7 and told i need these by when the end of the week. That happened last shift for me, managers meeting was held someone gives me a card and tells me to run the front. If anyone calls the store the phone can just ring :rolleyes: not my problem but people needing change was an issue and we were out of £1s at the time so I just told them to make do with what they had, After all they should not need change 15 minutes after starting :biggrin: Chicken side was getting swamped and it was only a single person so I had to jump on it for a bit while making sure the front did not like a bomb site for when the managers returned.

Also we only have two signed off crew trainers at the minute me and someone else due to two others successfully completing their BSM and becoming floor managers so we need to take up some slack and complete plenty of training.
Reply 995

Hi :wavey:

I like giving crew trainers stuff to do! The other night I let a couple of them count the safe for me, BM is keen to have crew trainers knowing that stuff, means less to teach them if they get promoted. When I was in charge of food cost too, I gave them all yields, crew trainers and crew seemed to put more work into it than other managers did.. Now I'm in charge of training so I get to abuse them more now :biggrin:
Reply 996
When applying for a job that is full time, is there any chance they'd accept students wanting to do part time?

A friend of mine told me to apply full time then just tell them how many hours you want to work.. For the summer she was working full time but during college/uni she's allowed to do part time :s-smilie:
Reply 997
Also, how to answer the last 8 questions? Would answering logically mess me up? :\
Original post by Ronda

I like giving crew trainers stuff to do! The other night I let a couple of them count the safe for me, BM is keen to have crew trainers knowing that stuff, means less to teach them if they get promoted. When I was in charge of food cost too, I gave them all yields, crew trainers and crew seemed to put more work into it than other managers did.. Now I'm in charge of training so I get to abuse them more now :biggrin:

I can understand that aspect of it but some of our managers literally don't do anything during their shifts, they just pass it onto the crew trainers to do which is nice for us to learn but then why exactly are they getting paid a higher wage than me if I'm the one doing all their work? That's the part that annoys me.
Reply 999
Got first shift tomorrow, so need to bring orientation certificate, Do I dress casually there and get changed when I get there? Many thanks
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending