Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    for the paper 2 edexcel maths, what technique do you carry out..

DO you work backwards from the paper or not?

DO you glance over the questions to get a jist of their "types" or do you got linearly..??

DO you leave the graph sketching questions to the end?

Do you do algebra first or do you just go for the big markers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kquishir)
    for the paper 2 edexcel maths, what technique do you carry out..

DO you work backwards from the paper or not?

DO you glance over the questions to get a jist of their "types" or do you got linearly..??

DO you leave the graph sketching questions to the end?

Do you do algebra first or do you just go for the big markers?
    hmm, I usually glance over the questions to get a jist of their types. then do the first question. onto the last one. Then work my way backwards. I dunno why I do it. Its just the way i work in exams.

ReputationRep:
    I go through the paper doing all the questions I find simple first, and then go through the rest, that way I won't waste half an hour on something, when I could be answering something else

ReputationRep:
    The English language goes from left to right. I see no reason to argue with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hashshashin)
    The English language goes from left to right. I see no reason to argue with it.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't every paper xD

ReputationRep:
    i go through all the questions i get first. then i go back to the beginning again and work through all the questions which take a bit of figuring out, but if theres any im really not sure of i leave them. then i come back to them. and finally, check its all good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ahmato)
    I'm deeply confused.

ReputationRep:
    best approach in my opinion....glance over to get a jist(i cudnt be bothed with maths tho) ....go from start to end non-stop and leave what u dont get immediately....then go back to it wen u reached the end....u shud have loads of/enuf time anyway so.....

basically wat madpotta sed....

ReputationRep:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ahmato

I'm deeply confused.
    He thought you meant the English Language paper when in fact you meant just the english language runs from left to right as you read it i think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Will Grimes1)
    He thought you meant the English Language paper when in fact you meant just the english language runs from left to right as you read it i think.
    I thought as much. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I did Maths last year and got an A* - I find this is the best way:

- Have a look at all the questions in the paper, registering what's easy and what isn't. Start thinking of how to approach the hard questions from the word go, even while you're doing the other questions.
    - Do the graph sketches first: spend a bit of time getting a neat curve or line and then you know you got full marks for that question.
    - Do the easy questions next. This builds your confidence and ensures that you get all the easy marks. If this means that you just answer only the first parts to the first 15 questions so be it. However, some find it better to work through a whole question in one go... but whatever suits you.
    - Now approach the hard questions. Collate your previous thoughts and try to approach the questions. Don't expect the answer to come quickly but don't be afraid to try things out to help you get a better understanding - you may want to use pencil and then rub it out when you get the right answer. Remember, Maths is essential methods, calculations and problem solving. Very rarely do solutions come easily and quickly.
    - Finally, check that you haven't made silly mistakes like the wrong signs in working out etc. I personally like to take a break after I've done the questions for 5 minutes, think about something I like (music), and then return to the checking as it makes my mind fresh and I'm less likely to gloss over the pages thinking 'Yeah, that looks right so it is', instead of actually checking it.

Hope this helps,

Sen

ReputationRep:
    Thats good advice but i think it would be taking a bit of a risk doing it in that order if you have never done it before. I normally just look through the paper at first get an idea of the questions then work through in order. Really good advice about checking though the number of times i have thought ah it looks right so must be when i made a stupid mistake.

ReputationRep:
    I go through the exam, from start to finish. If I find I'm spending too long on a question then I move on to the next one (the same goes if it just looks like a nasty question.) Then I go and do the ones I missed out. Then I check over everything, making sure I've answered the question properly (e.g. if it says to give it to 3 sig figs). After all this, there's often one or two I find really difficult and can't answer, so I try and do as much working out as possible. Then I'm done! There's usually ample time to do all of it, since we have about 2 hours.

In the last Maths exam, I got stuck on a couple of questions, but when I went back to them I got them straight away. It's a good idea to move on if a question is tricky, but always go back to it afterwards (it really helps to look at things from a fresh perspective).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Will Grimes1)
    Thats good advice but i think it would be taking a bit of a risk doing it in that order if you have never done it before. I normally just look through the paper at first get an idea of the questions then work through in order. Really good advice about checking though the number of times i have thought ah it looks right so must be when i made a stupid mistake.
    I totally see what you mean.

I was just saying what I thought but Maths is such a personal subject, you have to do whatever you think is best.

About doing questions in order, that works because the questions are in order of increasing difficulty. However, I find I settle down into the exam much better and gain more confidence, if I do all the one mark questions first, then the two marks etc.

Sen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hashshashin)
    I thought as much. :p:
    Ignore me folks, move along now nothing to see here :/ xD

ReputationRep:
    I just go through from start to finish. Because at the start questions are easy so i whizz through them. If I look at the questions at the end I look at them an say WTF, which could wreck my confidence.

DOnt waste time going through the paper. Work through the paper consistently.

ReputationRep:
    I fall asleep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kayleigh89)
    I fall asleep
    Thats...ingenious, I'll have to see if that works tommorow:cool:

ReputationRep:
    Nothing fresh to add but I'll just say there's plenty of great techniques which have been posted, choose which works for you.

Oh, and, of course, GOOD LUCK!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ahmato)
    Thats...ingenious, I'll have to see if that works tommorow:cool:
    Wow... why didn't someone suggest that before?

xD

Anyhoo, to answer your question, it depends how fast you are at working in maths and how good your are. If you are REALLY quick then it really doesn't matter what way you do it.

If you are relatively slow, go through the paper systematically or looking through questions will just waste your time

Do what works for you according to your ability and not how others do it
    Remember to leave enough time for checking

Good luck!

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.