The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Kallisto
Another try: a large part of oxygen is exhaled, because our organisms don't need the whole magnitude of the inhaled oxygen. Am I right now?

Then 92.

You've got the right end of the stick now :holmes: but still no :no:

That explains why we still exhale some oxygen, but not why the first portion of exhaled air has atmospheric oxygen :sly:
Reply 61
Original post by Artymess

That explains why we still exhale some oxygen, but not why the first portion of exhaled air has atmospheric oxygen :sly:

I thought it would be due to the fact that the mouth and nose will still contain oxygen since they are not air tight so some atmospheric oxygen could get in and will be pushed out during exhalation
Reply 62

Usually it makes the thread easier and a lot more fun if you ask easier questions, preferably A-level based questions :tongue:

I don't think I could answer that :redface:
Reply 63
Original post by Munrot07
I thought it would be due to the fact that the mouth and nose will still contain oxygen since they are not air tight so some atmospheric oxygen could get in and will be pushed out during exhalation

You are 100% correct :holmes: No gas exchange occurs in the mouth/nose/trachea/bronchi :sly: so you exhale atmospheric air from those portions.

Original post by Eloades11
Usually it makes the thread easier and a lot more fun if you ask easier questions, preferably A-level based questions :tongue:

I don't think I could answer that :redface:

I was asked this question during an AS biology lesson, when covering the lungs :sly: Though tbf, anyone with GCSE sciences should know gas exchange only occurs in the alveoli, while air fills up alveoli/bronchi/trachea/nose/mouth :holmes:
Reply 64
Well I think we are all on 92 now :P tbh I think this is a little unfair as some people (including myself) are answering more than one question which makes it easier for the guys as many guys are answering more than one, perhaps next time we should limit it to one answer per person? :smile:
Reply 65

I was asked this question during an AS biology lesson, when covering the lungs :sly: Though tbf, anyone with GCSE sciences should know gas exchange only occurs in the alveoli, while air fills up alveoli/bronchi/trachea/nose/mouth :holmes:

I can't remember the question now, and I'm too tired to think about it as well :tongue:
Original post by Munrot07
Well I think we are all on 92 now :P tbh I think this is a little unfair as some people (including myself) are answering more than one question which makes it easier for the guys as many guys are answering more than one, perhaps next time we should limit it to one answer per person? :smile:

Nah it's fine, the girls will come and fight their corner, but I reckon we should get as high lead as possible :biggrin:

I'll give the next question, score still 92.

What's the complementary molecule which binds to an enzyme's active site called?
Reply 66
A substrate.
Score: 90

Outline protein synthesis.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 67
I said that I don't won't detailed questions :banghead: !!!!!

Anyways, the tRNA bearing the amino acid and with the appropriate anticodon attaches at the codon at mRNA on the small ribosomal subunit. The larger unit comes and makes up A, P and E sites. Another tRNA comes and attaches at A site and its amino acid binds to one present before. This continue till we have a polypeptide sequence called a protein. Then stop codons stop further protein synthesis and the product is released. :P

Which neuron type has no true dendrites?
Original post by Dynamo123

(...) Which neuron type has no true dendrites?

What did you mean with "no true dendrites"? did you mean neurons which are no dendrites in the literal sense of the word? then the answer is synapses. Synapses have a synaptic cleft to each other which have to bridges by neurotransmitter. From this perspective synapses are no cell process like dendrites which are closed and linked nerve pathways. Am I right?

then the score is 94 and it's up to me to ask a new question.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 69
What did you mean with "no true dendrites"? did you mean neurons which are no dendrites in the literal sense of the word? then the answer is synapses. Synapses have a synaptic cleft to each other which have to bridges by neurotransmitter. From this perspective synapses are no cell process like dendrites which are closed and linked nerve pathways. Am I right?

then the score is 94 and it's up to you to ask a new question.

No, I was talking about sensory neurons.
Reply 70
Doesn't look like there's a question so I'll ask a new one :smile:

(Score 94)

Define allele, locus and gene.
Reply 71
An allele is an alternative form of a gene (one member of a pair) that is located at a specific position on a specific chromosome

A locus is the position of a gene on a chromosome

and a Gene is
A distinct sequence of nucleotides forming part of a chromosome, which often defines a trait.
Reply 72
Original post by MusicNerd
An allele is an alternative form of a gene (one member of a pair) that is located at a specific position on a specific chromosome

A locus is the position of a gene on a chromosome

and a Gene is
A distinct sequence of nucleotides forming part of a chromosome, which often defines a trait.

Correct, don't forget to ask a question once you've answered one :smile: I'll do one for you.

(Score 92)

What does IPSP and EPSP stand for?
Reply 73
Original post by Eloades11
Correct, don't forget to ask a question once you've answered one :smile: I'll do one for you.

(Score 92)

What does IPSP and EPSP stand for?

EPSP = Excitatory postsynaptic potential
IPSP = Inhibitory postsynaptic potential

(Score 90)

Explain how a gene mutation can give rise to conditions such as PKU.
Original post by -Neuro-
EPSP = Excitatory postsynaptic potential
IPSP = Inhibitory postsynaptic potential

(Score 90)

Explain how a gene mutation can give rise to conditions such as PKU.

PKU (and similar genetic diseases) is an autosomal-recessive mutation, that is to say the homologue chromosomes have the same defect. In other words: Both the chromosome of the father and the chromosome of the mother contains this heredity of PKU, both alleles are recessive. That is the decisive reason why the genetic disease come into being, it doesn't work, if one of the alleles are dominate.

Score 92

Question: Why fishes are not able to breath air?
Reply 75
Why does cardiac output decrease above a certain heart rate
Reply 76
PKU (and similar genetic diseases) is an autosomal-recessive mutation, that is to say the homologue chromosomes have the same defect. In other words: Both the chromosome of the father and the chromosome of the mother contains this heredity of PKU, both alleles are recessive. That is the decisive reason why the genetic disease come into being, it doesn't work, if one of the alleles are dominate.

Score 92

Question: Why fishes are not able to breath air?

Dem gills are to blame :tongue:

Fish gills are very delicate and have a very large surface area. The large surface area allows the gills to work effectively and allow efficient gaseous exchange although they are completely dependent on being immersed in water to support their weight. When brought out of the water, the delicate gills will collapse, and very little surface area is left exposed, so gases can not be efficiently exchanged. Therefore, most fish can't survive out of the water for a long time, because oxygen deficiency will catch up with them and they asphyxiate.

(Score 90)

Outline the importance of DNA replication to living things.
Reply 77
Original post by bertstare
Why does cardiac output decrease above a certain heart rate

After a certain heart rate the chambers of the heart don't have sufficient time to refill with blood to its maximum capacity before being contracted again, thus reducing the amount of oxygenated blood being pumped with each contraction.

(Score 88)
I've got the question above :s-smilie:
Original post by -Neuro-

Outline the importance of DNA replication to living things.

Coming from a non-biologist so please excuse me if I'm a no0b. :colondollar:

DNA replication is important in an organism to ensure that every cell in the body following mitosis has a copy of said orgasm's DNA set which is imperative for the production of RNA and proteins which dictate biochemical reactions within the body.

Briefly explain how proteins can act as buffers and the importance of this to the human body.
Reply 79
Original post by Felix Felicis
Coming from a non-biologist so please excuse me if I'm a no0b. :colondollar:

DNA replication is important in an organism to ensure that every cell in the body following mitosis has a copy of said orgasm's DNA set which is imperative for the production of RNA and proteins which dictate biochemical reactions within the body.

Briefly explain how proteins can act as buffers and the importance of this to the human body.

Proteins from what i remember, act as buffers because they help the to normalize the bloods ph levels (acidity in general) ? They absorb (or bind?) to acid in the blood, thus normalizing it so that cells in the body are not obstructed (or damaged) by the imbalances in the blood.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

a fun one - what is brain freeze?
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending