Turn on thread page Beta

Evolutionary Psychology question watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    For the PYA4 exam questions 13 and 15 the last paragraph, technically, should be the same. Was just wondering if anybody could help me on finding some evaluation points on evolutionary psychology.

Some of the ones i've thought of currently is that evolutionary psychology fails to take account of changes over time and cultural differences.

Anything else would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanx

Tut

ReputationRep:
    i dont do q13, but i do do q15 so im not sure if this will help..

i sometimes write that evulationary explanations are post-hoc as theyve been proposed in retrospect and lack empirical support and therefore lack scientific validity.

u could also say stuff like (for depression) it doesnt take into account cultural factors. like women who have children and a career at the same time, they worry that it affects their child's development and also worry that if they take too much time off work they'll lose their job.

ReputationRep:
    umm just off the top off my head - ah panicking for tuesday

but a few evaluation points could be that evoultionary explanations only take into one aspect of behaviour/insight into only one aspect.. therefore pyschological factors and social factors are ignored i.e for question 15 you could take about intense emotions in an attachment bond and therefore behaviour isnt just dependent on genetic factors but an interaction of genetics and psychosocial factors

Also maybe you could weave in a reductionist/deterministic evaluative point --- evolutionary account dosent account for free will and assumes that behaviour is control by genetics

- even talk about animal tests maybe invalidated as the are unatural experiments being used to test human abilities/behaviours

- a common evaluation point is that evolutionary explanations lack expanlantory power as they do not account for other factors e.g if your talking about parental investment they do not account for broody men or women who do not want children...

theres a few more but maybe more will come to you as your writing the a01 points- im not sure about question 13 as im only doing question 15 but hope a few points were useful

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing question 15 too! Just looking through my nots on sexual selection and human reproductive behaviour. Have you got any idea what might come up int he exam? Dya know what came up in January?

Thanx
    Tut

ReputationRep:
    ^ intelligence came up in january but it dosent mean it wont come up again...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 11, 2006

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
Poll
Are you chained to your phone?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.