The Student Room Group

Can I cancel my offer and apply for it again in CLEARING?

Hello

I want to try to enter another university that is not in my ucas list. I've fulfilled all requirements but I want to try for a better uni. I'm afraid I'll loose all chances that way and I don't wanna risk. If I cancel my firm application in UCAS will I be able to apply for it again in clearing if I fail for another uni?
Thank you for your help.
Reply 1
Im in year 12 and im no expert at this but im sure there is an option called "adjustment" that happens after results day which allows you to look for better unis WHILE also KEEPING your firm offer (considering you met the offer that is).
So i think adjustment is what you want to do, but again im not 100% ,correct me if im wrong or do some research on adjustment.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by kameko7
Hello

I want to try to enter another university that is not in my ucas list. I've fulfilled all requirements but I want to try for a better uni. I'm afraid I'll loose all chances that way and I don't wanna risk. If I cancel my firm application in UCAS will I be able to apply for it again in clearing if I fail for another uni?
Thank you for your help.

This is exactly what I'm going through. I was told by my preferred University that they might have spaces in clearing, to pick one of the offers I did have, and then if they were able to make an offer, I could be released from my firm and go for the better one. I have this in email confirmation from the head of their UK admissions.

However, today I received a letter from UCAS saying, if you withdraw now you may not reapply this cycle or through clearing.
Reply 3
Original post by kameko7
Hello

Thank you for your help.

Why not sit on the current offer and then use Adjustment in the event you do better than required?

Trying to go through Clearing, if UCAS allow that, seems like a risky option given Adjustment exists to allow people in your situation to 'upgrade' safely.
Reply 4
thank you. I didn't know about such option as adjustment. I'll seach for more information about this. :smile:

Also I'm waiting for more replies !! I will be grateful for that !
Reply 5
Original post by kameko7
thank you. I didn't know about such option as adjustment. I'll seach for more information about this. :smile:

Also I'm waiting for more replies !! I will be grateful for that !

http://www.ucas.com/members-providers/undergraduate/application-cycle/adjustment

Vast majority of unis enter this, last year I think only Oxbridge, UCL, Imperial and LSE stayed out.
Reply 6
Is adjustment eligible only for british students? I am from europe.
Reply 7
Original post by kameko7
Is adjustment eligible only for british students? I am from europe.

I don't see why it would be, but worth checking. It's launched on A Level results day but that 's just because results day is when unis get an idea of their numbers for the coming academic year.
Reply 8
Slight caveat to add here, adjustment is only open if you exceed your offer. If you meet your offer, or have an unconditional offer, we cannot be eligible for adjustment something I recently found out to my disappointment :frown:
Original post by Crest14
This is exactly what I'm going through. I was told by my preferred University that they might have spaces in clearing, to pick one of the offers I did have, and then if they were able to make an offer, I could be released from my firm and go for the better one. I have this in email confirmation from the head of their UK admissions.

However, today I received a letter from UCAS saying, if you withdraw now you may not reapply this cycle or through clearing.

Despite what the UCAS letter says, it is still possible to get yourself released into Clearing and apply to another university. It is risky unless you are sure your preferred uni is definitely going to accept you.
Reply 10
Hello.
I've been checking information about adjustment. But I'm still confused about canceling my offer and getting it back again on clearing. Is it possible?
Reply 11
Original post by kameko7
Hello.
I've been checking information about adjustment. But I'm still confused about canceling my offer and getting it back again on clearing. Is it possible?

It is possible if that Uni is in clearing for that course, however they do reserve the right to reject your application in clearing.
To be very honest I would go via adjustment if you get better grades as that is safe for you. If you do not get better grades than the you need to get into you firm. Look at the Unis in clearing, ring up Unis explain your situations and DO NOT reject your place until you are sure you have a place in a uni you prefer. You do not want to end up not having a place at all to study in.
Original post by kameko7
Hello.

Did you exceed your firm offer? If you did, then you can look for new universities via adjustment while still keeping hold of your firm offer.
Reply 13
I've exceeded my requirements but didn't send anything to my university yet. I'm afraid I will have no choice to go into clearing after that. By the way..the university I am aiming to enter requires 6.5 from IELTS..and I have only 6. I guess adjustment will be useless this way, won't it?
Reply 14
Original post by kameko7
Hello.
Why would a uni that has complied with your request to release you from your agreement to go there, then offer you a place in Clearing? If I were them, I'd fill your place with someone who really wants to go there.

If you are eligible for Adjustment, you can keep your firm place while you look for an Adjustment place.

If you aren't eligible for Adjustment, you would be taking the risk that you end up with nothing if you persuade the uni to release you into Clearing - this can take a few days and by then the places you had in mind may have gone.
Reply 15
Original post by Minerva
Why would a uni that has complied with your request to release you from your agreement to go there, then offer you a place in Clearing? If I were them, I'd fill your place with someone who really wants to go there.

If you are eligible for Adjustment, you can keep your firm place while you look for an Adjustment place.

If you aren't eligible for Adjustment, you would be taking the risk that you end up with nothing if you persuade the uni to release you into Clearing - this can take a few days and by then the places you had in mind may have gone.

If a Uni makes you an offer, you ask to be released from your firm so you can accept the new offer in clearing, but they take ages to do so and the offer on the original expires in this time what happens to you then, are you left with nothing?
Reply 16
Original post by Crest14
If a Uni makes you an offer, you ask to be released from your firm so you can accept the new offer in clearing, but they take ages to do so and the offer on the original expires in this time what happens to you then, are you left with nothing?
Yes, unless there's an alternative still in Clearing that you're happy with.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending